Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John

Hi,

I am brand new to this site, just by browsing I found it, I am very interested to find out all I can about my Grandfather
    Willie Holt and his son my Uncle Herbert Holt, if there is anyone out there that could help me I would appreciate it greatly,

Best regards,

John F. Fish

hi john first google willie and herbert holt there is also a family member harold holt who is known from billiards ,i have a collection of cues among which i have a willie holt ,herbert holt and harold holt cues so all of them are famed amongst billiard archives,go on and google norman clares site and there is more info on there,jim

Comment

Hi John,

Can't be of much use I'm afraid, except didn't they have a family billiard and snooker table manufacturers business? Herbert was a good standard pro in the 30's and 40's and a contemporary of Joe Davis. I saw him interviewed for a documentary by Dennis Waterman on the History of Snooker, about 10-years ago, so he was obviously quite old then but spoke brilliantly. He said that back in the early days you had to have a title to go under, so he called himself the "Northern Snooker Champion". If anyone had wanted to challenge him for it they could have done. Nice clip it was.

100-uper will be able to provide more.

Comment

Herbert Holt Born: Simonstone, Lancashire, 1st June 1909. Died: c.2005

I've just remembered! In my collection at home is a programme from the 1946 World Professional Snooker Championship. It is signed by 2 or 3 players, Horace Lindrum (beaten finalist) is one and I'm 95% certain that Herbert is another. I will fetch it out later.

Comment

herbert holt was a friend of JD and used to arrange competitions etc there are a few cues avaliable with his name badge.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Guppie View Post
            Hi,

I am brand new to this site, just by browsing I found it, I am very interested to find out all I can about my Grandfather
            Willie Holt and his son my Uncle Herbert Holt, if there is anyone out there that could help me I would appreciate it greatly,
            I've got quite a bit of information relating to the business activities of various Holt family members. Far too much to post on here. I would be quite happy to send it to you in return for your family tree and chronology as I am struggling to make the links between all the individuals involved.

Typically I have separate information for Harold Holt (Halifax)(1922-59), Herbert Holt (London)(1938-2002), Willie Holt (Burnley)(1898-1989), and Willie Holt and Sons (Blackpool)(1916-48). I'll send you my email address on the Private Message system and you can contact me by that means if you're interested.

Comment

sorry 100-upper, Guppie does not yet have 10 posts or more for PM functionality
              Guppie, you must post in other forums other than Newbie, etc. to gain numbers of posts.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I am very keen to contact about my family but it looks like I cannot access the private mail until I have 10 posts so I am a bit stuck for now,

Regards,

Guppie

Comment

psst, just go to the posts with pictures of a cue and post, "lovely cue"

Comment

So are these Holt's any relation to Herbert Holt, the professional snooker player?

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                      So are these Holt's any relation to Herbert Holt, the professional snooker player?
                      From The Billiard Player:
                      Herbert Holt, professional and prominent member of the billiards trade, was born at Simonstone, Lancashire, on June 1st, 1909. He is a son of Willie Holt, whose firm, now the Blackpool Billiard Works (advertisers in "The Billiard Player" for many years) is being carried on by Herbert's brother. The firm of Willie Holt, and that of the present style, can claim over 50 years of activity. Herbert Holt himself is in the trade at Hanwell. [BP0352 p.13]

Comment

yes Willie Holt was Herbert's father and my grandfather on my mothers side

Comment

Hi 100 upper,

I am still very keen to contact you, I am trying to get these 10 posts together so that I can enter the private mail to have a chat with you, how will I know when I have the 10 posts, do you have any idea?

Comment

Originally Posted by Guppie View Post
                            ...how will I know when I have the 10 posts, do you have any idea?
                            the count under the date you joined in the top right corner of all your posts, these are the count of legitimate posts towards your 10. Also note, there can be a delay (hours/days) between getting your 10th post and functions appearing, the system needs to refresh and all that

Comment

Herbert was Willie Holt's son and Harold was his elder brother

Comment

Working...
                              X