• Show
Clear All

• DeanH
    replied
    psst, just go to the posts with pictures of a cue and post, "lovely cue"

Leave a comment:

• Guppie
    replied
    I am very keen to contact about my family but it looks like I cannot access the private mail until I have 10 posts so I am a bit stuck for now,

Regards,

Guppie

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    sorry 100-upper, Guppie does not yet have 10 posts or more for PM functionality
    Guppie, you must post in other forums other than Newbie, etc. to gain numbers of posts.

Leave a comment:

• 100-uper
    replied
    Originally Posted by Guppie View Post
    Hi,

I am brand new to this site, just by browsing I found it, I am very interested to find out all I can about my Grandfather
    Willie Holt and his son my Uncle Herbert Holt, if there is anyone out there that could help me I would appreciate it greatly,
    I've got quite a bit of information relating to the business activities of various Holt family members. Far too much to post on here. I would be quite happy to send it to you in return for your family tree and chronology as I am struggling to make the links between all the individuals involved.

Typically I have separate information for Harold Holt (Halifax)(1922-59), Herbert Holt (London)(1938-2002), Willie Holt (Burnley)(1898-1989), and Willie Holt and Sons (Blackpool)(1916-48). I'll send you my email address on the Private Message system and you can contact me by that means if you're interested.

Leave a comment:

• ADR147
    replied
    herbert holt was a friend of JD and used to arrange competitions etc there are a few cues avaliable with his name badge.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    Herbert Holt Born: Simonstone, Lancashire, 1st June 1909. Died: c.2005

I've just remembered! In my collection at home is a programme from the 1946 World Professional Snooker Championship. It is signed by 2 or 3 players, Horace Lindrum (beaten finalist) is one and I'm 95% certain that Herbert is another. I will fetch it out later.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied
    Hi John,

Can't be of much use I'm afraid, except didn't they have a family billiard and snooker table manufacturers business? Herbert was a good standard pro in the 30's and 40's and a contemporary of Joe Davis. I saw him interviewed for a documentary by Dennis Waterman on the History of Snooker, about 10-years ago, so he was obviously quite old then but spoke brilliantly. He said that back in the early days you had to have a title to go under, so he called himself the "Northern Snooker Champion". If anyone had wanted to challenge him for it they could have done. Nice clip it was.

100-uper will be able to provide more.

Leave a comment:

• jim evans
    replied
    hi john first google willie and herbert holt there is also a family member harold holt who is known from billiards ,i have a collection of cues among which i have a willie holt ,herbert holt and harold holt cues so all of them are famed amongst billiard archives,go on and google norman clares site and there is more info on there,jim

Leave a comment:

• Guppie
    started a topic John

John

Hi,

I am brand new to this site, just by browsing I found it, I am very interested to find out all I can about my Grandfather
    Willie Holt and his son my Uncle Herbert Holt, if there is anyone out there that could help me I would appreciate it greatly,

Best regards,

John F. Fish
Working...
X