No announcement yet.

Naive Student needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you lose a match and blame it on bad luck, then that's going make things worse. If somebody flukes some snookers and you lose because you gave penalty points. Rather than blame bad luck, practice getting out of the snookers. If you still lose, then you have to just accept the other person beat you. Tiger woods uses a technique where he gives himself 5 seconds to think about a shot. After that he forgets about it and moves on to the next shot. Snooker and golf are similar in respect to the mental side of the game. I find it's hard to forget about a bad shot, but with mental practice it's definitely possible, it's just all about finding out what works for you. For me it's a case of slowing down my breathing and closing my eyes and just imagining potting the black off the spot. It works for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by neptar View Post
      If you lose a match and blame it on bad luck, then that's going make things worse. If somebody flukes some snookers and you lose because you gave penalty points. Rather than blame bad luck, practice getting out of the snookers. If you still lose, then you have to just accept the other person beat you. Tiger woods uses a technique where he gives himself 5 seconds to think about a shot. After that he forgets about it and moves on to the next shot. Snooker and golf are similar in respect to the mental side of the game. I find it's hard to forget about a bad shot, but with mental practice it's definitely possible, it's just all about finding out what works for you. For me it's a case of slowing down my breathing and closing my eyes and just imagining potting the black off the spot. It works for me.
      Dead right. Acceptance is key, the better you are at accepting things, especially your own mistakes and dumb luck which you could not have done anything about, anyway, the better you will deal with the challenges snooker throw your way
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by neptar View Post
        If you lose a match and blame it on bad luck, then that's going make things worse. If somebody flukes some snookers and you lose because you gave penalty points. Rather than blame bad luck, practice getting out of the snookers. If you still lose, then you have to just accept the other person beat you.
        Of course, when the frame is gone, there's nothing else to do but to accept that you've lost. However, when you get snookered several times even though your opponent is clearly going for a pot, it's very sour to lose the frame. You can't deny that this would make anyone feel bad. It's never nice when your opponent won even though he didn't play better snooker.

Best regards,
        GR.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jetmech View Post
          You can't deny that this would make anyone feel bad. It's never nice when your opponent won even though he didn't play better snooker.
          I can honestly say, this does not bother me.

I am lucky, my mother is a psychologist and she has taught me (without me knowing she was actually doing it) a number of very useful mental tools to deal with things like this.

Step #1 is definitely acceptance, luck is by it's nature uncontrollable, the other guy is as much at it's mercy as you are - even if it is all going his way. He's not doing it on purpose, so blaming him, and being angry with him is clearly wrong. Blaming yourself, well I think we can all agree that's wrong too. So, what does that leave to blame? Luck itself? That's a bit like blaming gravity for pulling you down, or blaming a cupboard door for being open when you walk into it.

When you look at it like that, does it make it any easier to let go of the anger/sour feeling?

Here's another angle. Why do you feel sour? Is it because you feel like something has been taken from you unfairly? What has been taken from you? The win? Why do you feel that was yours in the first place? Why was it taken unfairly? Surely luck is as much a part of the game as it is a part of everything, no-one has promised that luck will not play a part, no-one has promised that the better player will always win, accept that and you can then accept these losses as just part of the game/universe.
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Of course, when the frame is gone, there's nothing else to do but to accept that you've lost. However, when you get snookered several times even though your opponent is clearly going for a pot, it's very sour to lose the frame. You can't deny that this would make anyone feel bad. It's never nice when your opponent won even though he didn't play better snooker.

Best regards,
            GR.
            I can understand, but you have to just accept you were beaten. I've been on both sides of this. I've played against players I normally beat, who have beaten me in this manner. Best thing to do is accept they beat you and look at how you could have done better yourself. Chances are you could have done better on a snooker, or taken a missed opportunity earlier in the game. I have also had games which have seemed to be going this way, but I've had self belief that if I stick to my game and keep calm it will change, it did.

I have also had a game against a better player where I had a healthy lead and was going for ambitious reds but purposely leaving nothing on afterwards, I wasn't even playing for a colour. This frustrated him and he got worse as the frame went on. I ended up winning by a massive margin. It may not be beautiful, but at times it's a tactical choice. We all have to play to our limits. The other guy let it annoy him and blamed the loss on me being lucky on how the ball fell. When in reality he lost because he lost his mind. What did he learn from that experience? Nothing as he didn't realise his own flaw.

Sorry if this seems slightly off topic. Although I think it just highlights how complex the game is.

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
              Why do you feel that was yours in the first place? Why was it taken unfairly?
              Of course I'm not that full of myself to say that I'm entitled to win, even before the match has started. But IMO the purpose of a match is to determine who's best, and when the best player doesn't win, then yes, it feels sour.

BTW, is this not the reason why bigger matches/tournaments are played to the best of a high number of frames: to really determine who is the better player...

Best regards,
              GR.

Comment

Of course I'm not that full of myself to say that I'm entitled to win, even before the match has started. But IMO the purpose of a match is to determine who's best ..
                .. on that day, at that time, right? Otherwise we could just decide someone, say Ronnie, was the best and award them with the win whenever they entered a competition/match.

.. and when the best player doesn't win, then yes, it feels sour.
                This is circular :P If the match determines who is best, then the player who wins is by definition the best and therefore should have won.

I do know what you mean, however.

From a purely mechanical point of view, everything that happens on the table is a direct result of the players action. So, a fluke was still caused by the player, however unintentionally. The issue then becomes whether they "deserved" that result, and it's that which causes the sour feeling - the feeling that they didn't deserve it, that the result is not "fair".

This is where acceptance comes in. Whether it was intentional, or not, whether it is "fair" or not, is irrelevant - it happened.

You could argue that a player who cannot deal with things that happen does not deserve to win, that they aren't the best player after all. I mean, snooker is about more than just potting balls and playing good shots, a lot of what makes snooker "snooker" goes on in the top 6 inches (meaning, in your head).

BTW, is this not the reason why bigger matches/tournaments are played to the best of a high number of frames: to really determine who is the better player...
                Definitely, more frames means the random effects have less of an overall affect on the result. At the same time, players who do not have the mental toughness and concentration or stamina will lose out a little in longer matches, so.. are they not the best then? Which attributes of a player do you want to give more weight, which ones are more important when determining "best"?

.. I don't want to drag this thread off topic, but I am enjoying the discussion. PM me or start a new thread perhaps?
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Hi Claire
                  I recommend the book "Pleasures of small motions" by Bob Fancher (I think)

Comment

gosh surely this shows how politically correct society is becoming ... no-one has dared to ask so I will

Claire, welcome to TSF ... you titled your thread as "naive student" - would you mind if I asked how old you are and how naive you are? just to make sure we keep you away from the sharks on this forum LOL like me and vmax4steve for instance

Comment

Originally Posted by ClaireMorris View Post
                      Hello I'm sorry to gate crash your forum, but I have an assignment on why people play snooker and what attracts them to the sport, I'm not that confident going into snooker clubs on my own as I'm a girl and thought that you might be able to settle my nerves or give me some good information!
                      Hi Claire! No problem. If you are nervous maybe go with a friend. The dodgy old days of snooker clubs seems to have mainly gone in most places. Our club is friendly, welcoming and always happy to have women playing snooker.

Originally Posted by ClaireMorris View Post
                      All I want to know is what attracted you to snooker and why you keep on playing, and what you think makes a good club?

If anyone could let me know their opinions on this I would be very grateful!!
                      I love snooker because it is a great game to play. Regardless of your ability there is always lots of people who can teach you how to improve. Most people that play snooker are more than happy to help! I just love getting a good break and having a beer and a chat with a friend or stranger. I love old cues and collect them too. I am interested in the history of snooker. I like reading snooker / billiard books and have many (both new and very old).

I also like to watch the professionals who make the game look so easy when I know just how hard it is to play to a high level. Still anyone can play and get a lot of enjoyment from sinking balls and laying snookers. The more you know, the more you realise there is to learn and perfect in your game. I got some coaching and travelled to Bendigo to watch snooker (fun holiday). I also enjoy playing billiards although most of the people at my club play snooker.

At Bondi Beach we have a great view and it is always good to go and play a few frames. A good club has good tables and friendly people. It is also free to play at our club so it is good when you have no money (because you buy too many cues)!

Last edited by mythman69; 23 July 2013, 02:55 AM. Reason: :)
                      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                        gosh surely this shows how politically correct society is becoming ... no-one has dared to ask so I will

Claire, welcome to TSF ... you titled your thread as "naive student" - would you mind if I asked how old you are and how naive you are? just to make sure we keep you away from the sharks on this forum LOL like me and vmax4steve for instance
                        According to her profile she's 17

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks again for all of your information, you are dragging me willingly into your world and I didn't expect such a detailed response don't mind anyone going off topic Im supposed to be understanding motivations so its all good! DandyA neptar is right I'm 17 and when it comes to snooker naive could probably be replaced as clueless, Im good at shopping and horse riding though so if you need any tips I'm happy to do an exchange!

Comment

Of course I'm not that full of myself to say that I'm entitled to win, even before the match has started. But IMO the purpose of a match is to determine who's best, and when the best player doesn't win, then yes, it feels sour.
                            IMO the purpose of a match is to enjoy the game. Sometimes the better player doesn't win. Oh well, shake hands and congratulate them. I am sure they enjoyed their moment of victory. Don't worry about the loss and have another game. Make sure you learn from your mistakes and take note of how you lost / they won the match.

If you lose the World Championship, try again next year.

Last edited by mythman69; 23 July 2013, 09:47 AM.
                            My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
                            X