An Old Cue - Worth What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Old Cue - Worth What?

I'm new to the forum and not quite sure where to post this so apologies if this is not the right spot. Hello all!! you seem a friendly bunch. Anyway. I have a one piece cue which is called a Powerglide Connoisseur. The wording on the red metal badge at the base of the cue is 'Powerglide - the connoisseur hand made cue. It was given to me by my wife's grandad and so I guess it's about 1970's . I'm trying to figure out what it's worth so I can decide whether to sell and buy a two piece (more manageable size) or keep it to play with. Anyone got any experience of these things? (58.5 inches tip 9.7mm, 500g) Pretty sure it's ash. Cheers

could be worth something, not what a good new cue would cost, but put some good pics up and i might buy it off you

Comment

I bought this a month or two back, should give you a clue (condition is of course everything)
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3213766263...84.m1436.l2649
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Old cue collector --
      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Good answer perpetualboredom.

Comment

i think you need to take some better pictures from differing angles and the grain pattern to really show the cue off.

Comment

Sounds good, assuming good condition well over £100

Comment

i think old cues are what someone is willing to pay wether they are worth the price or not, i see old cues on ebay that fetch silly money and it is not because they are worth anywhere near that price it's just that particular time of sale the seller was lucky someone didn't have that cue

Comment

An auction is the price the next highest bidder plus a few pennies, so the price is the value of that item, listed in that way. You can spend in confidance that at least one other person was willing to pay almost as much as you.
                Many of the ridiculous prices come from 'unscrupulous' dealers who take advantage of people who know no better (double price and offer a 'best offer'). Shame really as I've know people's interest fade completely when they find out just how much over the odds they've paid.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Old cue collector --
                Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                  Many of the ridiculous prices come from 'unscrupulous' dealers who take advantage of people who know no better (double price and offer a 'best offer'). Shame really as I've know people's interest fade completely when they find out just how much over the odds they've paid.
                  yeah loads of funny people hovering over snooker, always have been. its a cruel game

Comment

I was taken for a mug a few times paying over the odds for cues when i believed the utter horse **** coming from the mouth of the seller

A) bought a hand made cue and then seen the same cue on sale at Gateshead Snooker Centre for 40% of the price i paid
                    B) bought a cue off someone who told me that they made it by hand only for another cue maker to tell me that it was one of his rejects
                    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

An Old Cue - Worth What?

What's the full story on B) mate? Sounds like we should all be enlightened and wary
                      On Cue Facebook Page
                      Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                      Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

No mate i'm not naming and shaming just in case the person who said it was one of his rejects wasn't telling the truth or was mistaken
                        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                          An auction is the price the next highest bidder plus a few pennies, so the price is the value of that item, listed in that way. You can spend in confidance that at least one other person was willing to pay almost as much as you.
                          i agree. i understand people selling the latest cues trevor white, Stamford, hunt & osbourne etc etc for good money but it makes me cringe when I see sellers trying to get 3,4,5 hundred quid for old cues like the Walter Lindrums especially.

Comment

okay if your a collector looking to add to your collection, but most of the old cues come up around 16oz which unless you like a light one then not many players of today looking for a playing cue would be interested, plus with the butts being over 30mm and no ferrule or 11mm with one, so there's a little bite of work to be done, even then you won't know how the cues gonna play.
                            oh and is it straight? this is not a question to ask an lad whos just got home from a dieing club with a bunch of cues under his arm and turn on the computer looking for his next weeks suckle

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              okay if your a collector looking to add to your collection, but most of the old cues come up around 16oz which unless you like a light one then not many players of today looking for a playing cue would be interested, plus with the butts being over 30mm and no ferrule or 11mm with one, so there's a little bite of work to be done, even then you won't know how the cues gonna play.
                              oh and is it straight? this is not a question to ask an lad whos just got home from a dieing club with a bunch of cues under his arm and turn on the computer looking for his next weeks suckle
                              Agree with the old weight thing. collectors shouldnt be spending silly money on old cues as they are simply not worth the money we see some sellers selling them at and fair play to them if they find someone willing to take that cue off them 300 quid more then the cue is worth

Comment

Working...
                              X