Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

1st post on this wonderful forum. Started playing snooker in 1959 at age 15 on what the British players call club tables - the pockets are cut more generous than British match tables. At 70 years of age I still feel the passion & have followed the British pro players closely since about 1975. In Toronto during the 1980's we had a good 6 red handicap scene with regular tournaments that I participated in, but now that has all but gone. I miss that very much & gave up the game until now & sold my Tom Gauthier (Canada) custom cue. Have been thinking of ordering a J.P. 3/4 cue & getting "back to it" but it's almost a futile wish - given the lack of snooker here at the present time. I have just recently watched much of the 2014 World Championship & the 2015 Masters on my computer & it is TRULY a thrill to again witness such mastery on a match table!!! I know from experience the dedication & skill involved to achieve that level of competence & confidence on those tables.
    I look forward to enjoying the posts of so many knowledgable players here on the forum. Thanks for the opportunity.
    Be well everyone.
    B.

Welcome Mr B,,, I hope u enjoy ur game and stay on this forum !!

Comment

Greetings from Cayuga, Ontario about an hour n half from you. I am not sure how far you are from the new Corner Bank which John White and Jim Wych just opened but we are running a tournament there this coming Saturday. Check out our website. www.ontariosnooker.club your welcome to play.
      " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
      " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
      http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Thanks for the info re. Corner Bank. I'm really not ready to play at this point but will try to get there soon to see the place. Warden/Eglinton is pretty close to home. I knew John White a bit & have played him in the 6 red handicap @ "The Spot" many years ago. I used to play a lot also @ "Centennial" downtown at that time. Thanks again.
        B.

Comment

Welcome to TSF .......Loads of fellow Canadians on here . Seem a decent bunch ........Not sure about that Terry Davidson though
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Ash & Ebony View Post
            1st post on this wonderful forum. Started playing snooker in 1959 at age 15 on what the British players call club tables - the pockets are cut more generous than British match tables. At 70 years of age I still feel the passion & have followed the British pro players closely since about 1975. In Toronto during the 1980's we had a good 6 red handicap scene with regular tournaments that I participated in, but now that has all but gone. I miss that very much & gave up the game until now & sold my Tom Gauthier (Canada) custom cue. Have been thinking of ordering a J.P. 3/4 cue & getting "back to it" but it's almost a futile wish - given the lack of snooker here at the present time. I have just recently watched much of the 2014 World Championship & the 2015 Masters on my computer & it is TRULY a thrill to again witness such mastery on a match table!!! I know from experience the dedication & skill involved to achieve that level of competence & confidence on those tables.
            I look forward to enjoying the posts of so many knowledgable players here on the forum. Thanks for the opportunity.
            Be well everyone.
            B.
            Welcome. What's your name eh? Love to chat with you about snooker in canada, and the lovely Gauthier cue and family. I'm a bit of a snooker nut myself as well. Some nice things for you to see

Canadian snooker photos from the 70's and later:
            http://snookerdelight.com/snooker-ar...s-80s-and-90s/

Interview with Kevin Robitaille
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7-...IMyy_38i921WKL
            Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
            My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
              Welcome to TSF .......Loads of fellow Canadians on here . Seem a decent bunch ........Not sure about that Terry Davidson though
              That's a good one Neil......LOL

Comment

Thanks a lot Neil. I will remember that comment (unless my memory fails me, it's good but it's short)

Ash:

There are some handicapped 6-red tournaments still going, although not as big as the one at Le Spot run by Paul Thornley years ago. There is a Monday night one at Monte Carlo in Mississauga, there is another one at Shooters on Wednesday nights I believe and The Corner Bank will be starting one in the near future I believe. There's another one in Kitchener at Frederick Billiards but I imagine the drive would be too long for you.

I believe the Monte Carlo one is the most popular and the tables there are very tight.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                  Thanks Neil. I wasn't aware of this forum or the number of Canadians here. I must apologize for not knowing of them all since I've been away from snooker for over 20 years now & need help feeding myself.
                  B.

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                  Welcome. What's your name eh? Love to chat with you about snooker in canada, and the lovely Gauthier cue and family. I'm a bit of a snooker nut myself as well. Some nice things for you to see

Canadian snooker photos from the 70's and later:
                  http://snookerdelight.com/snooker-ar...s-80s-and-90s/

Interview with Kevin Robitaille
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7-...IMyy_38i921WKL
                  Thanks for the links Mayur. Being out west I suspect you knew Tom G. & his work. I talked with him a number of times on the phone while dealing with 2 separate cue orders & was so sorry to hear of his passing. Truly great craftsman & good person. I sure wish I still had my Gauthier cue (18.5 oz) but don't think I'd do it justice after all this time away. I wonder if there are still many of them in use. My 1st cue was a 17 oz, 1961 Brunswick Trophy that was very desirable at the time. Lighter weight cues were popular here with many players back then I think.
                  B.

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  Thanks a lot Neil. I will remember that comment (unless my memory fails me, it's good but it's short)

Ash:

There are some handicapped 6-red tournaments still going, although not as big as the one at Le Spot run by Paul Thornley years ago. There is a Monday night one at Monte Carlo in Mississauga, there is another one at Shooters on Wednesday nights I believe and The Corner Bank will be starting one in the near future I believe. There's another one in Kitchener at Frederick Billiards but I imagine the drive would be too long for you.

I believe the Monte Carlo one is the most popular and the tables there are very tight.
                  Thanks Terry. I plan to go check out Corner Bank room soon as it's the most convenient since I rely on city transit. I'd love to see some good snooker again. If Paul Thornley is still involved & you see him, tell him Blair says hi. He may not remember me but may remember my Gauthier cue since he gave me Tom's contact. It was a piece of art. (figured cocobolo butt with ebony & maple butterfly accent splices & 2 ash shafts.) Not bad for a hack player.
                  I always loved craftsmanship & fine tools.
                  B.

Comment

Thanks for the links Mayur. Being out west I suspect you knew Tom G. & his work. I talked with him a number of times on the phone while dealing with 2 separate cue orders & was so sorry to hear of his passing. Truly great craftsman & good person. I sure wish I still had my Gauthier cue (18.5 oz) but don't think I'd do it justice after all this time away. I wonder if there are still many of them in use. My 1st cue was a 17 oz, 1961 Brunswick Trophy that was very desirable at the time. Lighter weight cues were popular here with many players back then I think.
                    B.
                    No sadly, I never got the chance to meet him as I got into snooker only in the late 90's here. I heard many stories of him though and I never made the trek to go and see him. I held a few Gauthier cues at one time, but have sold them off since. There are still quite a few Guathier cues around yes. At the club I play at, a number of the older crowd have them. They occasionally come up for sale.
                    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Some good snooker qualifiers coming up this month in the GTA for the $20 000 Richler Cup

www.snookercanada.ca

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpat View Post
                        Some good snooker qualifiers coming up this month in the GTA for the $20 000 Richler Cup

www.snookercanada.ca
                        Thanks for that. So sorry I couldn't drop into the Corner Bank yesterday for the tournament.(previous commitment- I'm not a single man anymore - ).
                        It looks like a great snooker environment from what I see on the web site. Did you attend?
                        B.

Comment

Ash:

snookerpat lives in Montreal (I note he hasn't put up his location yet) and he runs snookercanada and also the largest tournament in Canada as far as prize money goes, the Richler Cup which will be played in Toronto May 7 I believe. He hold multiple qualifiers in multiple cities.
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for that. So sorry I couldn't drop into the Corner Bank yesterday for the tournament.(previous commitment- I'm not a single man anymore - ).
                            It looks like a great snooker environment from what I see on the web site. Did you attend?
                            B.
                            Hi Ash we have another tournament planed for Feb 28th at The Corner Bank, we would love to see you there.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              Ash:

snookerpat lives in Montreal (I note he hasn't put up his location yet) and he runs snookercanada and also the largest tournament in Canada as far as prize money goes, the Richler Cup which will be played in Toronto May 7 I believe. He hold multiple qualifiers in multiple cities.
                              Thanks Terry. I'll need help like that getting caught up with the current overview. Appreciate your consideration.
                              B.

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                              Hi Ash we have another tournament planed for Feb 28th at The Corner Bank, we would love to see you there.
                              Thanks Les. I'm curious whether the Saturday tournaments @ Corner Bank are full rack or 6 red handicap. I suspect these tournaments are regular open as there was no mention of handicap. Is there a "bracket" result on line somewhere of the tournament yesterday? Not sure how to access Canadian snooker tournament results.
                              B.

Comment

Working...
                              X