Greetings from Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Florida

Hi all, glad to join the forum. I love snooker, although have only played a few games in my life. The strategic aspects of the game, combined with the skill involved, make this a fascinating game for me to watch.

Here in Florida, there are no snooker "clubs" at all. In fact, I would need to travel many hours just to find a pool hall (as we call them here) that would have even ONE snooker table.

So I content myself with watching matches and highlight videos, and when possible, finding a live feed on the internet.

I joined this forum get clarification on the "touching ball" rule.....

Suppose the reds are gone, and green is the ball on. And the white is touching the green. As I understand, I would need to hit away from the green...Is this correct? May I hit the white away, bounce of a cushion, and then hit the green (i.e. a kick shot)? Or would this still be a foul?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

First of all, welcome to the forum Vanwinkle. :smile:

Yes, in the scenario you describe you would need to play away from the green. With only the colours remaining I imagine a touching ball would leave you with an easy snooker to play behind another colour, but you could also come off a cushion and hit the green, if for some reason it was in your interest to do so. :smile:

Comment

Just to clarify (if it wasn't obvious) a touching ball means you have deemed to have already hit the ball, so no need to "kick it", just play the cue ball into a safe area

Comment

The question of playing away from the green ball, coming off a cushion and back onto the green was relevant when we envisioned the unlikely situation of laying against the green which is sitting right in front of a pocket - an easy pot but we can't play at it - but an easy one or two cushions and back to pot it. Unlikely for sure, though, having played snooker for 60 years and have never seen such a situation! But who knows....
        Last edited by rodmac; 21 February 2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

More fellow americans joining the forum yuppie. Glad to have you. Hope you can get a change to play snooker sometime it is a very fun game.
          Last edited by SnookeredYou; 22 February 2015, 03:54 AM.
          “Thus so wretched is man that he would weary even without any cause for weariness... and so frivolous is he that, though full of a thousand reasons for weariness, the least thing, such as playing billiards or hitting a ball, is sufficient enough to amuse him.” Mr. Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally Posted by Vanwinkle View Post
            Hi all, glad to join the forum. I love snooker, although have only played a few games in my life. The strategic aspects of the game, combined with the skill involved, make this a fascinating game for me to watch.

Here in Florida, there are no snooker "clubs" at all. In fact, I would need to travel many hours just to find a pool hall (as we call them here) that would have even ONE snooker table.

So I content myself with watching matches and highlight videos, and when possible, finding a live feed on the internet.

I joined this forum get clarification on the "touching ball" rule.....

Suppose the reds are gone, and green is the ball on. And the white is touching the green. As I understand, I would need to hit away from the green...Is this correct? May I hit the white away, bounce of a cushion, and then hit the green (i.e. a kick shot)? Or would this still be a foul?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
            Welcome to the forum, I won't comment on the touch ball rule as it has already been explained. If you really enjoy the live feed then go to World Snooker and pay the yearly subscription which is very reasonable. You can catch the finals tomorrow morning at 8:00 am your time. The nice part of this stream is you can pause it if you need to.
            " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
            " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
            http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Greetings from Florida

welcome to tsf. where in Florida are you?

Comment

Welcome to TSF :snooker:
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

After playing the game on off since I was young and now take it a bit more seriously and play 2/3 times a week I couldn't imagine not being able to play now, even now that me n the Mrs are looking to move I'm saying we can't move anywhere that's longer than 5 mins walking distance from the club. Welcome to the forum, been the Florida years ago, amazing place, absolutely loved it
                  Got sick of folk (mostly other tourists) saying 'its not the heat that gets you it's the humidity'
                  :snooker:

Comment

vanwinkle:

Go to 'snookerusa.com'. There are some 12ft tables listed for Florida although it looks like more 10ft tables
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry, on the site you recommend, on the page called "snooker in the USA", there are two California, two New York and one Illinois. Can't locate any other listings. Where are the listings for Florida you mention? Thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by rodmac View Post
                        Terry, on the site you recommend, on the page called "snooker in the USA", there are two California, two New York and one Illinois. Can't locate any other listings. Where are the listings for Florida you mention? Thanks!
                        On the right hand side of the site about halfway down there is a scrolling square and when it gets to 'Snooker tables in the USA' click on it and you will see all 50 states listed with locations of snooker tables, both 12ft and 10ft
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome! Yes, it's pathetic. In the entire state of Florida, there are eight 10 ft and four 12 ft tables. It's a shame the game is not popular here.

The good news is...I live in Gainesville, Florida, and the local University has one of those 10 ft tables. (The bad news is...the game room is currently closed for renovation for the next 5 or 6 months, lol.) I have no idea if they will retain the table when the room reopens. Can't wait to find out!

Comment

Working...
                          X