Just joined in Oxfordshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just joined in Oxfordshire

Hey, just joined the forum, just getting back into snooker as I am starting to give up more strenuous sports as I get a bit older!
    I'm not a bad pool player but find snooker a
    Much more difficult!
    Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Originally Posted by Capabara View Post
    Hey, just joined the forum, just getting back into snooker as I am starting to give up more strenuous sports as I get a bit older!
    I'm not a bad pool player but find snooker a
    Much more difficult!
    Anyway, just wanted to say hi!
    Me too !!! welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy !!

Comment

Welcome to TSF :snooker:
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Hi and welcome -

Funny a lot of people think snooker is not a strenuous sport - Might not be full on as other sport but it is actually more continuous.

I'm not into exercise but over the weekend on my I phone - I noticed I did a number of miles around the table in practice an was bending and stretching for most of it - Snooker practice is actually quite good for you I would say -

Mentally strenuous - without a doubt as you will see.

Anyway enjoy and welcome

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
          Hi and welcome -

Funny a lot of people think snooker is not a strenuous sport - Might not be full on as other sport but it is actually more continuous.

I'm not into exercise but over the weekend on my I phone - I noticed I did a number of miles around the table in practice an was bending and stretching for most of it - Snooker practice is actually quite good for you I would say -

Mentally strenuous - without a doubt as you will see.

Anyway enjoy and welcome
          Gotta agree with you B, snooker players do a fair bit of straining and burning calories with body and mind. Good mental exercise and I think I read that Hendry reckoned on walking, was it 5 miles ?) during a day of practice. Alll I know is that I was perspiring a bit after four hours on Sunday and I was bloody hungry.

Welcome to the Pleasuredome.

Comment

Ha! You're probably right, I had a lesson with nic Barrow and afterwards could really feel it in my back! And it takes a surprising amount of concentration, which I must confess, is not my strong point.

Comment

Well you are going about it right way I think - getting a few lessons to start you off on the right road

What tips did Nic give you to improve your concentration?

Comment

Well, we mainly started on the basics, cue action, consistency, aiming. Just some stuff to start practicing. But I'm not a natural talent. So need to know I've got my stance, set up etc fairly correct.

Comment

Well, we mainly started on the basics, cue action, consistency, aiming. Just some stuff to start practicing. But I'm not a natural talent. So need to know I've got my stance, set up etc fairly correct.
                  Quality, coached by the best. Which stance did he suggest, boxer, foot in line or something else?

Comment

basics are everything - these are the most important bits - should be re-named essentials really - maybe more people would spend more time to perfect these basics save time correcting them later on down the line.
                    Last edited by Byrom; 18 May 2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                      basics are everything - these are the most important bits - should be re-named essentials really - maybe more people would spend more time to perfect these basics save time correcting them later on down the line.
                      Basics can have a bad connotation, it usually leads to 'stuff that, let's buy a cue, and another cue, and another.................I'm still looking for the one!'

Essentials is spot on. Cue action takes 2yrs plus according to Methi. So the sooner you get on with doing it properly the less time wasted later.

Comment

Working...
                      X