Miss rule app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Cue_147 View Post
    If someone is deliberately not trying to get out the snooker then i would say something when playing the match... if that person continues he/she should be reported to the committee.
    But if you decide to travel 50 miles to a big competition (high entry fee and big prize pot), which you've never been to before, where players ref themselves and someone does it to you in your first match, costing you that match, then it's a bit late and you'd be mightily pissed off. You complain to the organiser and it's just seen as sour grapes because nobody else witnessed it. He's then free to go on and do it again and again.

There MUST be something in place to deter players from missing deliberately.
    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
      But if you decide to travel 50 miles to a big competition (high entry fee and big prize pot), which you've never been to before, where players ref themselves and someone does it to you in your first match, costing you that match, then it's a bit late and you'd be mightily pissed off. You complain to the organiser and it's just seen as sour grapes because nobody else witnessed it. He's then free to go on and do it again and again.

There MUST be something in place to deter players from missing deliberately.
      If at any point you are unhappy or unable to agree on a ruling then stop play and request a tournament official, surely?

Comment

Don't get me wrong folks, I'm not again snookers If this is the right shot to play at some point in the game, fair enough, go for it. The problem lies after the snooker is made
        I like as much high scoring frames than tactical ones.
        Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by s1ivv3r View Post
          Personally.. and this is just MY opinion.. they should remove the miss rule and play "ball in hand".. worked great in the shootout and it works across all levels of snooker from Pro to Amateur to league level!
          I used to champion this idea but it would also mean that someone laying a dolly snooker could potentially win the match. Personally, I'd pot a long red, come back up the table and lay as tricky a snooker as possible. More benefits that potting the red and staying on the black if I can get ball in hand. Even better would be to just lay a great snooker and play a lot of safety given the huge potential rewards of ball in hand.

Comment

Our league has tried nearly every example going of the miss rule, from must hit as Terry calls it, through to four misses from one snooker then play from where it lies and have finally settled on what I think is fair.
            1 , if you can see any part of a ball on, it's a miss
            2, if there are loads of reds on the table , it's a miss( especially if playing for the pack or if there is a pack to play for and you chose not to)
            3, you don't reach the intended target, if you fall short of the ball you played for its a miss.
            This way the miss rule is fairly easy to implement and feels fair to everyone. We have also toyed with the idea of the ref saying to the player before they play , if you foul here I will call a miss because of 1 or 2 and 3 takes care of itself, but this hasn't come about yet.
            Should have added the obvious
            4, you get nowhere bleedin near it lol.
            Last edited by itsnoteasy; 2 March 2016, 07:33 PM.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

As i expected the misrule started an interesting discussion!

However my original question was more about how to replace the balls accurately after the miss has been called.

I think someone should code a smartphone app, it would be so easy.

Then 50% of the problem of what is "fair" would be solved as you could be sure you are replaying the same shot.

Comment

I believe chaps in the UK use the pencil and notched marker method... honestly for a referee of semi-decent skill we can get it back fairly accurately if not more than 3 or 4 balls moved... if it slapped into the pack, well, we try. in all honesty though, you'd have to keep the phone stationary and all to ensure identical perspective... probably easier to install cameras at competition tables

Comment

Originally Posted by DublinDevil View Post
                  As i expected the misrule started an interesting discussion!

However my original question was more about how to replace the balls accurately after the miss has been called.

I think someone should code a smartphone app, it would be so easy.

Then 50% of the problem of what is "fair" would be solved as you could be sure you are replaying the same shot.
                  Like nst says you simply need a ball marker and a charcoal pencil or piece of tailors chalk to mark the position of the cue ball and the object ball closest to the ball on before the escape attempt, if missed the ball/s can then be placed perfectly where they were before.
                  I don't understand why this isn't done in the pro game, it would certainly speed things up a bit.

Comment

Nah world snooker camera's are faster. They don't need the image all that often. Inspiration to refs lol

Comment

just reading through this thread and i have to say that the most annoying of all foul and a miss calls is when a player attempts a pot and misses and gets a really awkward snooker and then they sit and amass lots of points.

Comment

That's where the ref has to remember to exercise sound judgement. Not always easy though I'll admit

Comment

We wouldn't be allowed to mark the cloths on our club tables, so that is not a solution here. Also a foul will potentially move many balls not just white and object ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by DublinDevil View Post
                            We wouldn't be allowed to mark the cloths on our club tables, so that is not a solution here. Also a foul will potentially move many balls not just white and object ball.
                            Charcoal pencil and tailors chalk simply brushes off, no problem there, as for many balls moving, yes that's a problem in the amateur game, but the biggest problem is applying the miss rule to players of varying ability, better not to use it all.

Comment

just let the poor guy off. Unless its a competitive match

Comment

Working...
                              X