Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why pool and billiard table use different color of table mate

Hi good day,

iam newer in the world of billiard and pool table. I usually note that different color of table mates are using, why pool and billiard table use different color of table mate. Is their any meaning for various color suggest me one of the best color from (interpool)

thanks

Originally Posted by stackon View Post
    Hi good day,

iam newer in the world of billiard and pool table. I usually note that different color of table mates are using, why pool and billiard table use different color of table mate. Is their any meaning for various color suggest me one of the best color from (interpool)

thanks
    Snooker and billiards traditionally use green cloths (as does English 8-ball on 6ft tables). This tradition heralds from French billiards that sought to use the same colour as the lawns on which billiards parent game, croquet, was played on. Billiards started off as table croquet. Why the US prefers blue cloths? I just don't know. Good question.

As for buying a table, pick a cloth that is the same colour as the chalk you use, for obvious reasons. E.g. picking a black cloth if you use pink chalk, may cause some issues. :biggrin-new:
    Last edited by Cannonball; 31 May 2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
      Snooker and billiards traditionally use green cloths (as does English 8-ball on 6ft tables). This tradition heralds from French billiards that sought to use the same colour as the lawns on which billiards parent game, croquet, was played on. Billiards started off as table croquet. Why the US prefers blue cloths? I just don't know. Good question.

As for buying a table, pick a cloth that is the same colour as the chalk you use, for obvious reasons. E.g. picking a black cloth if you use pink chalk, may cause some issues. :biggrin-new:
      Lol. Might be slightly easier to buy matching chalk? Anyway, american pool uses blue cloth because it's cool and easy on the eye. I cringe at green cloth, especially for E8B.

Ps probably best to refer to the game as american pool in future, as opposed to referencing the US per se. It is the world's dominant cue sport game, after all, popular everywhere bar the UK.

Terminology is important.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        Lol. Might be slightly easier to buy matching chalk? Anyway, american pool uses blue cloth because it's cool and easy on the eye. I cringe at green cloth, especially for E8B.

Ps probably best to refer to the game as american pool in future, as opposed to referencing the US per se. It is the world's dominant cue sport game, after all, popular everywhere bar the UK.

Terminology is important.
        hahaha, US pool is THE game! :biggrin-new: But the poster and you still have to come to a snooker site for info. :biggrin-new:

How come you ain't all over ABZ then? :biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

@stackon, I'd go for a purple cloth if I was gonna put a pool table in my house. Alternatively, you could just take up the superior sport of snooker and accept green de facto.
        Last edited by Cannonball; 31 May 2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
          hahaha, US pool is THE game! :biggrin-new: But the poster and you still have to come to a snooker site for info. :biggrin-new:

How come you ain't all over ABZ then? :biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

@stackon, I'd go for a purple cloth if I was gonna put a pool table in my house. Alternatively, you could just take up the superior sport of snooker and accept green de facto.
          info? Lol. The odds of me learning anything from this site are slim to none, but one lives in hope. No, i am here to disseminate and teach. An educator, if you will.

Sadly, some around these parts are very slow learners, Blusts.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
            info? Lol. The odds of me learning anything from this site are slim to none, but one lives in hope. No, i am here to disseminate and teach. An educator, if you will.

Sadly, some around these parts are very slow learners, Blusts.
            Disseminate? Are you sure you don't mean urinate? You're an educator? An educator who thinks Aramith use different 'compounds' for different ball brands?! :biggrin-new::distracted::biggrin-new::distracted::biggrin-new:
            Last edited by Cannonball; 31 May 2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X