Hello you lovely bunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello you lovely bunch

I can’t remember the exact moment I fell in love with snooker but I do remember being about 5 years old, roaming between the tables at the Ripley Star club, the private members club in our tiny faux-French style village in North Yorkshire. My friend Anthony’s Mum was the caretaker of the club and as she hoovered we were allowed to run riot in the games room. All manner of cue sports lived here, from the vast slate slabs of seemingly endless baize of the 12 ft x 6 ft full size snooker tables, the young upstart that was the 8 ball English pool table and the strange upturned mushrooms of the bar billiards table. To me this vast room of adult pleasures was glorious. I read a study that claimed that what happens in the first five years of a child’s life is very, very important. This period is critical to the child’s development of imagination and creativity. Well snooker got stuck in there. I was really lucky, my Dad was in a band so I was surrounded by musical instruments and songs being written in our front room in our tiny tied cottage (my mum worked in the farmhouse each morning in lieu of rent.)

...and then fast forward to 1985 and the black ball finish. I was 12 and it was the latest I'd ever been allowed to stay up and the whole family was glued to watch Dennis Taylor wagging his finger I wanted Steve to win though. Boy, did I love the Nugget. I played in the local Harrogate league when I was 18 - 21, before I left to go down south for university. I started off playing for a working men's club, which to my shame I can't remember the name of, before moving up to play for the Harrogate Leisure Center, which at the time was called Hammerain House.

I always played pool, but I let snooker fall by the wayside until two years ago, aged 41, I took it back up again properly. Why do we stop doing the things we love as we get older? Dunno. I play at least once a week at the Hurricane Club in Kings Cross, London. I'm much better tactically than I was in my early 20s, because I've watched several thousand hours of snooker since then, learning.

My high break was 50 odd when I was younger, and now in the last couple of years in 35. I need some coaching really.

Originally Posted by Dan-cat View Post
    I can’t remember the exact moment I fell in love with snooker but I do remember being about 5 years old, roaming between the tables at the Ripley Star club, the private members club in our tiny faux-French style village in North Yorkshire. My friend Anthony’s Mum was the caretaker of the club and as she hoovered we were allowed to run riot in the games room. All manner of cue sports lived here, from the vast slate slabs of seemingly endless baize of the 12 ft x 6 ft full size snooker tables, the young upstart that was the 8 ball English pool table and the strange upturned mushrooms of the bar billiards table. To me this vast room of adult pleasures was glorious. I read a study that claimed that what happens in the first five years of a child’s life is very, very important. This period is critical to the child’s development of imagination and creativity. Well snooker got stuck in there. I was really lucky, my Dad was in a band so I was surrounded by musical instruments and songs being written in our front room in our tiny tied cottage (my mum worked in the farmhouse each morning in lieu of rent.)

...and then fast forward to 1985 and the black ball finish. I was 12 and it was the latest I'd ever been allowed to stay up and the whole family was glued to watch Dennis Taylor wagging his finger I wanted Steve to win though. Boy, did I love the Nugget. I played in the local Harrogate league when I was 18 - 21, before I left to go down south for university. I started off playing for a working men's club, which to my shame I can't remember the name of, before moving up to play for the Harrogate Leisure Center, which at the time was called Hammerain House.

I always played pool, but I let snooker fall by the wayside until two years ago, aged 41, I took it back up again properly. Why do we stop doing the things we love as we get older? Dunno. I play at least once a week at the Hurricane Club in Kings Cross, London. I'm much better tactically than I was in my early 20s, because I've watched several thousand hours of snooker since then, learning.

My high break was 50 odd when I was younger, and now in the last couple of years in 35. I need some coaching really.
    Nice to see you back playing.

It must be like going from 5 as side football to a full pitch!

Can't imaging growing up in a snooker club, you either wouldn't play at all or become great!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Who are you?

Comment

John Wood does coaching around the King Cross area does he not

Welcome (belated) to TSF
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Cat, what made you come from the Island over to the dark side bud? I see Snooker Backer's nemesis has tracked you over! Jesus, can anyone escape the SF fud?

Comment

I'll say.

Who da frig supported Davis over Taylor?

WTF?

Sport highlights societal divisions better than anything. At school, i could never believe kids actually supported steve davis. Then made it even worse by supporting Hendry.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
              I'll say.

Who da frig supported Davis over Taylor?

WTF?

Sport highlights societal divisions better than anything. At school, i could never believe kids actually supported steve davis. Then made it even worse by supporting Hendry.
              I supported Davis as a youngster, as did Ronnie! Taylor was rubbish, he wouldn't even be county standard today. Then I kinda fell for Jimmy and his style and panache and began to understand snooker as a flair game. I never liked Hendry; he won tournaments that belonged to Jimmy. But now I respect his achievements and dedication to practice. Ronnie by the way lists Jimmy, Davis and Hendry as his snooker heroes, in that time order.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                I supported Davis as a youngster, as did Ronnie! Taylor was rubbish, he wouldn't even be county standard today. Then I kinda fell for Jimmy and his style and panache and began to understand snooker as a flair game. I never liked Hendry; he won tournaments that belonged to Jimmy. But now I respect his achievements and dedication to practice. Ronnie by the way lists Jimmy, Davis and Hendry as his snooker heroes, in that time order.
                Jimmy, Davis and Hendry would be my all time favourites too.
                For the record; I put Alex H in the pioneer category along with snooker brothers Fred and Joe. :snooker:
                "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                National Snooker Expo
                25-27 October 2019
                http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

@DeanH yes John seems like a brilliant coach (great name too - Gone2Pot coaching), I'm often playing on a table near him when he's with a student - I will enlist his services and report back. It's time to go to the next level

Ha yes I didn't think about the fact that I joined in 2013, and here I am saying hello just two days ago. I wasn't even lurking for that time, I had forgotten I had joined! I think I signed up to read some post about an American Pool player, but I may be mistaken about that.

The fact is, I like talking about actually playing snooker and Snooker Island doesn't have a lot of action in that regard, so a couple of days ago I thought I'd branch out and find another home. SI is great for when the tournaments are on, particularly busy when the Rocket is playing, of course. Snookerfan didn't lure me over actually! I came of my own volition, and found out after that he's a member too. Incidentally, SF attends more live snooker than anyone else I know, he deserves credit for that. He actually lives up to his name! Unlike me, I'm not even a cat.

@lone wolf, and Big Shot: Back thenI loved Alex (yes - a true pioneer, without him it's unlikely snooker would have exploded like it did in the 80s), Jimmy, even begrudgingly Hendry for his sheer class but for some reason I loved the Nugget more than all of them.

Comment

^ haha, that was funny a few months ago when snooker backer accused SF of being a stalker on Twitter. And he called him an idiot as well. So funny, backer was on the money that day. SF is a big snooker fan but doesn't play and hasn't a clue what he's on about when he criticises a player. You can only begin to have an inkling when you've hit some balls. Once you've done that, the respect level for the pros rises and you stop calling them names like SF does, especially about Ronnie and the flair players.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                      ^ haha, that was funny a few months ago when snooker backer accused SF of being a stalker on Twitter. And he called him an idiot as well. So funny, backer was on the money that day. SF is a big snooker fan but doesn't play and hasn't a clue what he's on about when he criticises a player. You can only begin to have an inkling when you've hit some balls. Once you've done that, the respect level for the pros rises and you stop calling them names like SF does, especially about Ronnie and the flair players.
                      I take it by SF, you are referring to me? I don't even remember that.

Nice of you to follow me on Twitter though, Big Splash. Being that I don't remember even interacting with you on this website before. Maybe I should take your opinions of stalking seriously.

Comment

Snookerfan makes me giggle a lot. He's like marmite though: Brown and sticky.

Comment

Snookerfan makes me giggle a lot. He's like marmite though: Brown and sticky.
                          Look, that happened once and I'd been eating a curry, alright?

Comment

Messy boy that SF.

Incidentally, it wasn't SF that Snookerbacker had a Twitter beef with

Comment

Messy boy that SF.

Incidentally, it wasn't SF that Snookerbacker had a Twitter beef with
                              I had a chat with backer and he wasn't chuffed. He may have got the wrong end of the stick, backer sometimes does. One of a kind. He should be on here contributing.

Comment

Working...
                              X