Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    I'm now the big 5 0!
    And try not to make sound as if sit down and when I get up from a chair!
    Welcome back to the "mother game"
    Hope you hit your goal :biggrin:
    When you do let us know.
    Thanks Dean - in solitary practise I feel pretty good. Playing local league Monday night, and just joined local Con club that has 5 nice tables. In practise had a 72 but struggling in matches to get over 30! I'm sure playing more people regularly down this club ( great bunch met tonight) I will build up my confidence. How's you're game?
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Hello you lovely bunch

All sounds good, the hardest thing to do in snooker is taking your practice game to the match!
      Played last night with a friend as usual and instead of playing balls into the cushions we actually found the pockets more often than not :wink:
      We had a great night, for us
      No where near you practise level, more like your match level :wink:
      But we love playing but can only do so once a week. ....
      Got to say with the bits I have picked up from TSF over the years my game has improved and only consistency is my problem
      Last edited by DeanH; 19 October 2016, 09:24 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

All sounds good, the hardest thing to do in snooker is taking your practice game to the match!
        Played last night with a friend as usual and instead of playing balls into the cushions we actually found the pockets more often than not :wink:
        Got to say with the bits I have picked up from TSF over the years my game has improved and only consistency is my problem
        I've been after consistency for years.

My inconsistency is now consistent.......Job done!
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Thanks Dean - never a truer word said re taking practice game to the match! Enjoying the game and playing is #1 priority every time we are lucky enough to get the chance! Speak soon. 😊
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            I've been after consistency for years.

My inconsistency is now consistent.......Job done!
            Hello Shockerz - I guess a great leveller is to remember that the best players in our game don't and cannot win week in week out! It just isn't that easy. ( and why we keep trying) age should be on side, less angst should equal delivery/confidence. Let's face it how many people do lose these days to cancer/illness- we owe it to them to play with free spirit and open hearts. 😊
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I noticed some years ago Liang had very exaggerated movements of the head/neck and back leg to settle into his shot position but he seems to have calmed down recently to only a slight movement. At the time I thought he would do himself an injury if he carried on like he did
              I remember it used to look like he got down on the shot, then checked to see if there was anyone behind him before he took it; not so bad now as you say, but he still does it a bit. I think he might be checking the line with his dominant eye when he does that.

Comment

Hello you lovely bunch

Shockerz - your right - I am consistent with being inconsistent with my game
                Often still steal the frame but hay-ho :wink:
                I am tempted to try the league, not done it for snooker but did pool league and interleague for 25+ years so may be used to the "pressure" but waiting hours to play one frame where in pool you wait hour max to play again not sure about?

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                  Hello Shockerz - I guess a great leveller is to remember that the best players in our game don't and cannot win week in week out! It just isn't that easy. ( and why we keep trying) age should be on side, less angst should equal delivery/confidence. Let's face it how many people do lose these days to cancer/illness- we owe it to them to play with free spirit and open hearts. ��
                  Never a truer word said mate. I had a scare a few years back and now see things a little different.

I take out of most things what I can get and although it might not seem it on paper sometimes, still love the game and most things when all's said and done.

In all the sports I've played I've grafted as never been a natural and never been afraid to put the work in, I enjoy practicing and trying to overcome barriers, never understood why some people whine and do nothing different.

I lost my golf partner (best friend) last year who was a similar age to me and that shook me up and haven't picked a golf club up since as it doesn't seem the same. I miss the opportunity to get out with him and moan about the rain and poor driving and stuff.

People are a lot luckier than they realise.

Comment

I Shockerz - I know you practice a fair bit, how do you normally break a solo practice session down? do you try and keep to some sort of format or just work on what you feel needs it most? Cheers
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I am tempted to try the league, not done it for snooker but did pool league and interleague for 25+ years so may be used to the "pressure" but waiting hours to play one frame where in pool you wait hour max to play again not sure about?
                      Hey Dean - im playing local league currently, and I have to agree starting at 8 and finishing as late as 11:30 sometimes is a long night for just 2 frames! With two kids and a wife at home, I cant help feeling that if im "out" I want to be playing/practising more during that time. The standing around bit isn't even particularly sociable as you need quiet for the matches. I enjoy the 2 frames though
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I Shockerz - I know you practice a fair bit, how do you normally break a solo practice session down? do you try and keep to some sort of format or just work on what you feel needs it most? Cheers
                        I may sound like I practice a fair bit but not that much (in my opinion).

Thursdays - 12:30 to 17:00 - play against the old man, just frames and fairly open.
                        Fridays - Match day - Get there at 6:00 - play a few open frames against a team mate until 7:00. Play single frame match. Play a couple of frames after against team mate.
                        Sunday mornings - 10 to 12:30 - (Practice on my own or match against a team player)
                        Hit 20 or 30 blues off spot to corner pockets until rhythm feels loose and pushing through (must be potting them all or wait until I do).
                        Normal line up
                        'T' line up
                        Safety routine trying to pot 6 half balls from baulk and also leave white back in baulk as close to cushion as possible. (set up and do again etc)
                        5 balls between pink and black and pot whilst trying to finish high on each ball.
                        I have had the occasional 2 hours on a Tuesday if I haven't made the Sunday.

Always trying to find a certain rhythm I know as that the one that pots the ball at the right pace, eliminates any jerking and head movement and finds the right position. It's a timing / feel thing and once you've had it, you want it back; always struggled to find it with any consistency but I think that's a lack of practice (not playing frames practice).

Not really too much improvement practice when you add it up but it's ok at this standard.

Comment

That's a good consistent approach mate - I like the safety routine and the amount of blues you do. Same thing for me feel wise, never really ever thought about anything "technical" just timing and getting the cue through as smoothly as possible. As a visual in my brain Ronnie pushing the cue through (on any shot long short soft firm ) is a great mental picture to aspire to. Rhythm is a very key word.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Jump in to the league mate. I'm not that great nowadays but I'm glad I started playing league snooker when I took it back up 6 years ago. I went straight into the league and lost my first 7 games (hadn't played in 11 years) as they were short and I hadn't even picked a cue up by the first match as was sprung on me by my brother as they didn't have anyone (player dropped out) and were top of the league!

No matter what standard, you find your own goals and even with the pain of playing badly, losing every game and looking like a plonker you still find a level.

The other team mates gave my brother tremendous stick at the beginning for putting me in and one even said I was crap and was wasting their time. Since then I have knocked him out of the league individuals on 2 occasions, been part of 4 div 1 league winning teams (not with them) and picked up around a dozen other comp wins (at that level which as I said isn't particularly great but still enjoyable).

As I said to some guys the other day, you may think you're great snooker players but go and play in a decent league against century makers and you'll realise how small the pond is you play in.

I would definitely do it Dean, you'll find your level and just take it for what it is; just try and get some decent guys around you, took me a year or so but love the league nights.

Comment

That's a good consistent approach mate - I like the safety routine and the amount of blues you do. Same thing for me feel wise, never really ever thought about anything "technical" just timing and getting the cue through as smoothly as possible. As a visual in my brain Ronnie pushing the cue through (on any shot long short soft firm ) is a great mental picture to aspire to. Rhythm is a very key word.
                              Personally I never used to think too much about rhythm, just hit and hard and stun screw everything. I'learned so much from people since I started playing again and wish I knew some of this stuff 30 years ago; my top priority if I was playing a lot and young again would be rhythm and timing (personally).

Comment

I forgot to say, they do the league on Monday evenings, the wife has ongoing commitments Mondays so I have to be at home looking after the tribe

Comment

Working...
                                X