New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum

Good evening guys & girls. My name is Ty, i'm 29 years old and live in Swindon, Wiltshire.

I started playing snooker 15/16 years ago as a young teen and worked at the 147 Snooker Club in Swindon as a snooker table cleaner. At the time, I wasn't old enough to be paid financially, so in return for my hard work, I was paid in free snooker time.
    I quickly found my self playing 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I then went onto playing pool and snooker for my county as a late teen. It was at this point that I hit my highest break to date of 117 which was surprisingly hit with a cheap club cue....not my old £350 James Owen cue. Go figure lol.

I then went onto switching clubs and moved to Jesters Snooker Club in Swindon which I'm sure many have heard of. I played for them in the leagues for a year or so but had to leave Swindon due to unforeseen events. I moved to Cheltenham and was pleased to find a snooker club directly on my front door step called Pockets, this club was owned at the time by Stephen Lee's manager. I played in the premier league for a year and then lost heart in the game and stopped playing...

Quite a few years on, I've found my self wanting to play again and regain my skill in the game back....So I've started going up Jesters again and managed to hit a break of 26 last Saturday. Not quite an amount to shout about but after not lifting a cue for 7 years, I was quite pleased.

I'm currently on the look out for a cue...my budget is £130-£300. I have seen some Dunns cues and also Woods which both look like good value for money but can anyone comment? I would like to start playing regularly so happy to spend a half decent amount on a well made product.

Any advice on cues will be very much appreciated.

Ty

New to the forum

welcome to TSF
    Your story of coming back to the game is very common - myself included
    for that budget I would call Stu Green at Green Baize and have a chat he is very good at finding a great cue
    I would recommend Ton Praram or Maximus, see what Stu has.

www.greenbaize.com
    Last edited by DeanH; 18 February 2017, 12:07 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Cheers Dean!
      I did look at the cues available on the Baize site but none really grab me to be fair.
      I have spotted this one (http://www.dunns-cues.com/snooker%20...fer%20ash.html) which I love the look of but I haven't heard much of Dunns cues to be fair.

Comment

Dunn have been around for sometime and with mixed reviews, but for the money can be a good deal.
        Not seen one myself.
        Have seen/played with Ton Praram and Maximus and they are very good cues for the money.

I would suggest before doing anything have a call with Stu Green and discuss what you are looking for, etc.

Comment

Yea, I will give Stu a call when pay day arrives.
          I have heard many mixed reviews online for Dunns, also I've seen another cue maker by the name of Woods which I've not done my research on to be fair

Comment

Originally Posted by Tyj147 View Post
            Good evening guys & girls. My name is Ty, i'm 29 years old and live in Swindon, Wiltshire.

I started playing snooker 15/16 years ago as a young teen and worked at the 147 Snooker Club in Swindon as a snooker table cleaner. At the time, I wasn't old enough to be paid financially, so in return for my hard work, I was paid in free snooker time.
            I quickly found my self playing 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I then went onto playing pool and snooker for my county as a late teen. It was at this point that I hit my highest break to date of 117 which was surprisingly hit with a cheap club cue....not my old £350 James Owen cue. Go figure lol.

I then went onto switching clubs and moved to Jesters Snooker Club in Swindon which I'm sure many have heard of. I played for them in the leagues for a year or so but had to leave Swindon due to unforeseen events. I moved to Cheltenham and was pleased to find a snooker club directly on my front door step called Pockets, this club was owned at the time by Stephen Lee's manager. I played in the premier league for a year and then lost heart in the game and stopped playing...

Quite a few years on, I've found my self wanting to play again and regain my skill in the game back....So I've started going up Jesters again and managed to hit a break of 26 last Saturday. Not quite an amount to shout about but after not lifting a cue for 7 years, I was quite pleased.

I'm currently on the look out for a cue...my budget is £130-£300. I have seen some Dunns cues and also Woods which both look like good value for money but can anyone comment? I would like to start playing regularly so happy to spend a half decent amount on a well made product.

Any advice on cues will be very much appreciated.

Ty

Welcome to TSF !! :snooker:

Comment

Woods again have been around for some time and again mixed reviews.
              Their 1star leave alone, their 4star have had better reviews.

Comment

Working...
              X