Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Edinburgh (Soon to be Carlisle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Edinburgh (Soon to be Carlisle)

Hi all,

just thought I'd introduce myself to the forum. I currently live just outside Edinburgh, but I will be moving down to Carlisle within the next few months. I've always enjoyed watching snooker and having a go playing every now and then, I had a friend at high school who I used to play with sometimes, never took it particularly seriously though. I was visiting my soon-to-be in-laws at Christmas time last year and my (future) father-in-law has a 30+ year old slate bed 6ft table which we played countless games on and since then I've been hooked. I've been to World of Snooker in Edinburgh a few times in the last couple of months (by myself as well as with my dad and brother) and I've also been in the Portland Club in Carlisle (I believe there's 1 or 2 Portland members on here) a couple of times for a bit of practise while in the area. I don't really have anyone to play with frequently, and soon I'll be moving so I definitely wont have anyone to play with then, but hopefully I'll be able to find someone in Carlisle who fancies a couple of frames. It's only been a couple of months but I average breaks of 15 to 20 most frames, it's not great but I'm getting better. Anyway, just thought I'd say hi, and maybe catch the attention of anyone from Carlisle who may be on here, cheers.

Matt

Oh Jebus why Carlisle Matt has life got that bad lol. Naw you will love it, the clubs great, the owners top notch,the lads that go in are great. If you don't want to pay the prices for a match table get table 3 or 5, they got the old match table cloths put on them when they were less than a year old. Another reason they are good tables for a practice on is 2,4 and 6 are match tables so you rarely get anyone beside you. If you ever see a fat hairy Scotsman on table 13 come over and say hi, I very rarely bite my names Jim.
    Where abouts is world of snooker in Edinburgh? I'm from Penicuik originally ,is that the one down near Meadowbank?
    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 1 March 2017, 06:23 PM.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Corn Xchange Jim. (I think).

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
        Corn Xchange Jim. (I think).
        Ha! I've played there twice as well, didn't know it was called that. It was dead both times I went ,nobody in at all. I would much rather play at the Locarno club it was fairly busy both days I was there. The lass behind the bar came from Penicuik as well, can't remember her name. So we had a bit of a chin wag about folk we knew in common. Plus I got to watch Scott Donaldson practicing, what a cueist that lad is, great to watch.
        I used to work in the registers of Scotland down near meadowbank and started many a night out in that snooker club or Jimmy O'Rourkes , great times:very_drunk: never bothered with the snooker but played a fair bit of darts in the bar of Jimmys.
        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 1 March 2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Aye not the best venue for snooker but they have a match room where the East of Scotland ties are played. Very nice although never actually played there myself. Locarno is "the theatre of dreams" and we're all chuffed to bits about Scott's recent success. Ross "the Glove" was in last week and knocked in a 147 V Scott. I arrived too late to see it. Shona is the girl behind the bar. Chris still doing his lessons. Getting lots of work.

Comment

Aye not the best venue for snooker but they have a match room where the East of Scotland ties are played. Very nice although never actually played there myself. Locarno is "the theatre of dreams" and we're all chuffed to bits about Scott's recent success. Ross "the Glove" was in last week and knocked in a 147 V Scott. I arrived too late to see it. Shona is the girl behind the bar. Chris still doing his lessons. Getting lots of work.
            Shona, that's right. Aye I played in the private room with Chris, that was really nice, great table, tight pockets, but the bigger room was dead. First time I saw Ross the glove lol, was on the shootout, just shows you how good these guys are. I was in awe watching Scott practice, so effortless, it doesn't half show up how much I bang the balls around when you see a great player cueing properly.
            I really want to get back through it's just finding the time, well and the money if I'm honest. Tell Chris I'm asking after him and it's great to hear he's getting loads of work he deserves it, puts in a lot of effort when you see him, top bloke.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Oh Jebus why Carlisle Matt has life got that bad lol. Naw you will love it, the clubs great, the owners top notch,the lads that go in are great. If you don't want to pay the prices for a match table get table 3 or 5, they got the old match table cloths put on them when they were less than a year old. Another reason they are good tables for a practice on is 2,4 and 6 are match tables so you rarely get anyone beside you. If you ever see a fat hairy Scotsman on table 13 come over and say hi, I very rarely bite my names Jim.
              Where abouts is world of snooker in Edinburgh? I'm from Penicuik originally ,is that the one down near Meadowbank?
              Hi Jim, haha no life's not bad, it's just changing lol. Yeah it seemed like a nice place when I've been in Thanks for the table tips, I'll come and say hi for sure as Bigmeek said, it's the one at the corn exchange, I don't think it's actually called that but it's in the building with world of bowling so it gets called that. I go there as it's on my way home from work and is only £2 an hour on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I was in there on Monday practising alone and there was absolutely no one else there at all, but yesterday and today I played with my brother and there were a number of other folks in.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattar177 View Post
                Hi all,

just thought I'd introduce myself to the forum. I currently live just outside Edinburgh, but I will be moving down to Carlisle within the next few months. I've always enjoyed watching snooker and having a go playing every now and then, I had a friend at high school who I used to play with sometimes, never took it particularly seriously though. I was visiting my soon-to-be in-laws at Christmas time last year and my (future) father-in-law has a 30+ year old slate bed 6ft table which we played countless games on and since then I've been hooked. I've been to World of Snooker in Edinburgh a few times in the last couple of months (by myself as well as with my dad and brother) and I've also been in the Portland Club in Carlisle (I believe there's 1 or 2 Portland members on here) a couple of times for a bit of practise while in the area. I don't really have anyone to play with frequently, and soon I'll be moving so I definitely wont have anyone to play with then, but hopefully I'll be able to find someone in Carlisle who fancies a couple of frames. It's only been a couple of months but I average breaks of 15 to 20 most frames, it's not great but I'm getting better. Anyway, just thought I'd say hi, and maybe catch the attention of anyone from Carlisle who may be on here, cheers.

Matt
                From which country is Edinburgh ?? Scotland , is'nt it ??

Welcome to TSF , Matt.

I hope you enjoy your stay here and looking forward to read your posts .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                  From which country is Edinburgh ?? Scotland , is'nt it ??
                  Spot on Ramon, capital city of Scotland.

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance but what are the surnames of Ross & Scott ??? Muir & Donaldson ?
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                      Sorry for my ignorance but what are the surnames of Ross & Scott ??? Muir & Donaldson ?
                      Correct you are.

Comment

That makes a change !
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by mattar177 View Post
                          Spot on Ramon, capital city of Scotland.
                          beautiful country and very kind people.
                          Not to mention , very good snooker players as well :snooker:!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            beautiful country and very kind people.
                            Not to mention , very good snooker players as well :snooker:!!
                            Weather could be better though haha

Comment

Good stuff pal may have to give ya a game sometime for fun

Comment

Working...
                              X