Cold balls of The Great White North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    You said they were the only "pro level" players.

The last time a Canadian played at the crucible was Robideaux in 1999. Almost 20 years ago. I doubt we'll see another one in my lifetime.

In darts a Canadian appears almost every year because they have qualifiers and wildcards. It's been a while since John Part was a serious contender. He's an interesting case. He's a reasonably popular sports personality in the UK, whereas 99.99% of Canadians would have no idea who he is.
    To be honest only Cliff was a regular contender to win anything.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
      To be honest only Cliff was a regular contender to win anything.
      I think Kirk had too many "other interests"

Comment

That's great to hear. Is there any kind of scene in Vancouver? Is there any chance of a young Canadian coming along as good as Brecel or at least good enough to play on the tour?

I remember watching Alex Pagulayan play pool on TV a few years ago. I believe he's tried snooker Q school a few times in the past. He was/is extremely talented and probably could have been a decent tour player if he had devoted all of his time to snooker. He's 40 now, so that ship has sailed. I think the American pool player Corey Deuel made Q School attempts in 2014 and 2015 without success. He's also 40 now.
        You didn't go to the Snooker Canada website to check it out. They list around 20 places to play although some are senior centers but most are in the lower mainland. Alex came within one match of getting his pro snooker card at his second attempt at Q School. Corey also played in the World Amateur Snooker Championships but failed to qualify out of his group both times.

I should mention to the other posters that Cliff and Bob Chaperone are the ONLY 2 Canadian players who ever won a ranking tournament. Kirk, Alain and Big Bill never did.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I think Kirk had too many "other interests"
          Last time I saw him out this way he looked a little ashen.
          As for pro level maybe I'm being a bit harsh but in my defense Ronnie did beat one of our best players left handed :beaten:

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            I should mention to the other posters that Cliff and Bob Chaperone are the ONLY 2 Canadian players who ever won a ranking tournament. Kirk, Alain and Big Bill never did.
            1980 British Open Final
            Bob Chaperon vs Alex Higgins
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCctaybcPMg

Comment

You didn't go to the Snooker Canada website to check it out. They list around 20 places to play although some are senior centers but most are in the lower mainland. Alex came within one match of getting his pro snooker card at his second attempt at Q School. Corey also played in the World Amateur Snooker Championships but failed to qualify out of his group both times.

Terry, some of those places listed don't even have 6x12's.
              The only 2 places with playable tables is Top 147 and Hi Break, there really is no "scene" for any cue sports, closest proper tournaments is Seattle for 9-ball.

Comment

1980 British Open Final
                Bob Chaperon vs Alex Higgins
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCctaybcPMg
                often wondered what the bookies made of this match

Comment

I had a hairstyle just like Chaperon's in that video. The only difference is that mine was in 1975. By 1980 it wasn't all that popular any more.

Comment

I had a hairstyle just like Chaperon's in that video. The only difference is that mine was in 1975. By 1980 it wasn't all that popular any more.
                    It was even less popular by 1990 - when he won the British Open.

Comment

Snooker Canada's list for the Maritimes is dismal. There are places missing and the few places are far between. Sure, there's a scene if you live in Toronto, but the whole country doesn't live there. It's all very sad to me.

Comment

Originally Posted by Rebound59 View Post
                        Snooker Canada's list for the Maritimes is dismal. There are places missing and the few places are far between. Sure, there's a scene if you live in Toronto, but the whole country doesn't live there. It's all very sad to me.
                        Then do something about it. Get your own table or maybe see if you can encourage someone to open a snooker club. At least Snooker Canada is doing something
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
                          Terry, some of those places listed don't even have 6x12's.
                          The only 2 places with playable tables is Top 147 and Hi Break, there really is no "scene" for any cue sports, closest proper tournaments is Seattle for 9-ball.
                          Snooker Canada has a posting about Charlie Brown winning a recent tournament and there was one before that. Charlie was also here for the Canadians last time. There has to be some places to practice as there are still some top class players coming from BC.
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
                            It was even less popular by 1990 - when he won the British Open.
                            Sorry about that. It was 1990 (not 1980) He was really walking around looking like that in 1990????

Comment

Then do something about it. Get your own table or maybe see if you can encourage someone to open a snooker club. At least Snooker Canada is doing something
                              1. What makes you think I'm not doing anything about it?
                              2. If I had the means, I'd have done it already.
                              3. They're apparently not doing much outside Ontario and Halifax.
                              4. What's with everyone's attitude around here?

Comment

And no edit function for already submitted posts is a drag.
                                I don't necessarily blame Snooker Canada. It was an observation that outside a couple of urban centers, snooker is dying a slow and painful death, my pathetic efforts notwithstanding.

The intent of this thread was to hopefully bring some Maritime players out of the woodwork and see what we can get going. Apparently, that's a non-starter.

Comment

Working...
                                X