Snooker shoot out 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
    Hearn just won't change his mind about the Shoot Out being a ranker, he's too stubborn.
    Yep, this. You could see it from the way he put out the question to the players: Should the Shoot-Out be cancelled or stay as a ranking event. There was no middle solution, which would have been the best: Keep the Shoot-Out as an event, but not a ranking event.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
      Yep, this. You could see it from the way he put out the question to the players: Should the Shoot-Out be cancelled or stay as a ranking event. There was no middle solution, which would have been the best: Keep the Shoot-Out as an event, but not a ranking event.
      Amazing that he thought people wouldn't see through that.

Comment

I have never really understood what all the fuss is about regarding this event?
        As far as I'm aware the players have a choice to either enter or not enter this event?
        The public have the right to either watch this competition or not watch this competition?
        ---
        If I am wrong with any of these two points then I apologise and could someone please explain further detailed points so I can understand... :snooker:
        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
        National Snooker Expo
        25-27 October 2019
        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I see Peter Ebdon who referred to this Tournament as ' The Sh*t Out ' , has decided to play as he could qualify for the Grand Prix if he wins it .
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
            As far as I'm aware the players have a choice to either enter or not enter this event?
            Sure, the player have the choice to play or not to play. But for most of them it is a chance to earn good money and most of them can not afford to boycott it as they have to take any chance of earning some pounds. Contrary to the top players. And as you can see many of them (Selby, Higgins, O'Sullivan, Trump, Ding, Robertson, Maguire) won't play there, because the offered money at the Shoot-Out isn't important to them.

Comment

The public have the right to either watch this competition or not watch this competition?
              ---
              If I am wrong with any of these two points then I apologise and could someone please explain further detailed points so I can understand... :snooker:
              Both your points are correct but completey missing the point. Ranking points are so important these days to a players career. No way should doing well in the shoot out be given equal status to doing well in a proper tournament.

I happen to quite like the event. It's something different and think it'd go down well in vegas one year with even bigger prize money. Just no ranking points!

Comment

Originally Posted by Tommykiid View Post
                why don't we just organise a petition to downgrade it see how many we get and send it to world snooker? It won't help this year but mabey for next year
                Why don't you just not watch it, this year, next year, every year. It's a ranking event because prize money earned in open tournaments is £1 per ranking point or the home currency equivalent so it has to be a ranking event because it's 'open' to all pros and gives prize money. Top 16 only or invitational events aren't ranking events despite having more prestige because they're not open.

I quite like it as the players have to think and play quickly and look for other options due to the 'a ball must be potted or made to touch a cushion on every shot' rule. I would love that rule in our local league and for all snooker to be honest. The only downside are the morons in the audience who weren't raised properly and think making a noise is being big and clever.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                  Why don't you just not watch it, this year, next year, every year. It's a ranking event because prize money earned in open tournaments is £1 per ranking point or the home currency equivalent so it has to be a ranking event because it's 'open' to all pros and gives prize money. Top 16 only or invitational events aren't ranking events despite having more prestige because they're not open.
                  Snooker tournaments. This is not snooker

Comment

I agree with vmax.

The crowd are a bit cringeworthy, it all just seems forced to me. I will be rooting for Dave Gilbert this year after what happened to him last year.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

I quite like it as the players have to think and play quickly and look for other options due to the 'a ball must be potted or made to touch a cushion on every shot' rule. I would love that rule in our local league and for all snooker to be honest. The only downside are the morons in the audience who weren't raised properly and think making a noise is being big and clever.
                      ^^ This is how I view it ^^
                      No-one is ramming this event down the throats of players or public.
                      The argument that players need the additional income is a strange one, as it seems that World Snooker has acknowledge this point by holding the event in the first place.
                      If the Pro's need cash so desperately then guess what... They can get jobs like the rest of us.
                      As Mr. Hearn has pointed out on many occasions - no-one is owed a living.
                      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                      National Snooker Expo
                      25-27 October 2019
                      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by jimev View Post
                        Snooker tournaments. This is not snooker
                        Yes it is, a one frame open tournament like the original Pot Black with a shot clock to get the Eddie Charltons moving a bit faster and no mucking about with roll up snookers or tapping into the pack looking for a re-rack and no endless replacing of balls after a foul yippee!!
                        Just imagine if your one frame local league was played this way, no travelling 20 miles after work for a 7.30 pm start for the obligatory 11.30 pm finish after five frames of tip tap safety from players defending their handicap. Anything to inhibit the cushion crawlers gets my vote, I just don't like the audience that's all, but then I'm a bit of a misanthrope.

And those who say 'snooker isn't all about potting balls' can't pot balls.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I think the main argument is weather it should be a ranking tournament or not. Missing the point to make an argument. Barry Hearn school of debate 101.

Comment

---
                            The fuss is that it is not snooker, yet carries snooker ranking points, although not forced to enter the lower ranked players get to boost their ranking points in many people's eyes unfairly.

Comment

The point is not that this event exists. It's existed for some years, and was never a problem. Those who don't like it don't watch it. (I don't watch it much myself, never got into it.)

The point is, last year it was made a ranking event. It affects a players rank, when it's a version of the game with different rules. If the snooker players all played in a once-a-year 3-cushion billiard tournament, should that affect their rank as a snooker player? It's the same principle here.

Last year, the fact that Anthony McGill won this tournament, cost Mark Williams his place in the top-16 come The Crucible. Seemed unfair, to me.

Comment

Snooker shoot out 2018

adios Mcgill! he only had 2 shots and didn't pot a ball.The DC is going home. what a farce. But a great break from Davis nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                                X