No announcement yet.

Snooker shoot out 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just the nature of the tournament and this variant of snooker. I always go to the Mosconi Cup when its in the UK, and that's top players playing their game very seriously, it's the pinnacle for some of those players, and the crowd is a whole other level of rowdy.

Comment

That was odd, 106 playing 107

Comment

Really struggling to get into this. The crowd are making noises for the sake of it.

Comment

Originally Posted by You've Been Framed View Post
          Really struggling to get into this. The crowd are making noises for the sake of it.
          Bllllllluuuuueeeee

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Bllllllluuuuueeeee
            Like Brrrruuuuuuuuuuu...
            AKA Bruce Springsteen
            "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019
            http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Totally awfull ! its not even snooker ! Ranking tournament my arse !!!

Comment

The only good thing about this is you get to see pros you never knew existed

Comment

WTF was Barry Hearn thinking !!! If the tournament was played as a one framed untimed format like potblack , without the morons in the crowd then I think it would be a good legitimate ranking tournament . but how he can call this a ranking tournament is beyond me , its a joke !

Comment

Realistically its barely even snooker, players are being rushed into shots and some games are turning into games of hide and seek with laughably low points scored.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                      No there isn't.

Top pro's and top ams maybe.
                      Top pro? Tian Pengfei is number 64!!! Brown failed several years ago, what makes him think he's better now?

Comment

Wayne must be close to 50, I don't think he's eyeing up a spot back on the tour. No reason he shouldn't play when he gets the chance just because he's not a pro anymore. And Tian is a decent player. Maybe not a top matchup, but this is a joke of a tournament devoid of any quality, so I don't think their presence does any harm.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          The only good thing about this is you get to see pros you never knew existed
                          A showcase for everyone.
                          If some pros got there act together they could acquire the type of sponsorship some of them so desperately require just from this event alone. IF THEY WERE SAVVY!
                          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                          National Snooker Expo
                          25-27 October 2019
                          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Let's forget for a second that the tournament is a bit of a joke and definitely shouldn't be a ranking tournament.

What's stood out to me is the fact that these are professionals and yet the vast majority have no clue how to play a format like this. Shouldn't they at least think through what the ideal strategy would be in various situations in terms of score and time lift. Are some of these guys really that stupid, or do they not really care if they win or lose?

Case in point. Liam Highfield vs Gerard Greene. Highfield has a 20+ point lead with 3 reds left on the table and less than two minutes left. Two of the reds are tied up together near a cushion and are basically out of play. So all he has to do is play a couple of decent safety shots and he's guaranteed to win and advance.

So what does he do? He takes on a medium to long range red and misses it. From there Greene pots the red and a color and gets an angle off the color to open up the reds. WTF??????

McManus was being rather kind in his criticism or lake there of, but you could tell he was shocked by Highfield's stupidity. I've never played snooker at any high level and I've figured out when to play safe based on a few hours of watching the matches. These guys are freaking professionals. And Highfield isn't the only one. The same thing has happened a dozen times, just in the first round.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                              Let's forget for a second that the tournament is a bit of a joke and definitely shouldn't be a ranking tournament.

What's stood out to me is the fact that these are professionals and yet the vast majority have no clue how to play a format like this. Shouldn't they at least think through what the ideal strategy would be in various situations in terms of score and time lift. Are some of these guys really that stupid, or do they not really care if they win or lose?

Case in point. Liam Highfield vs Gerard Greene. Highfield has a 20+ point lead with 3 reds left on the table and less than two minutes left. Two of the reds are tied up together near a cushion and are basically out of play. So all he has to do is play a couple of decent safety shots and he's guaranteed to win and advance.

So what does he do? He takes on a medium to long range red and misses it. From there Greene pots the red and a color and gets an angle off the color to open up the reds. WTF??????

McManus was being rather kind in his criticism or lake there of, but you could tell he was shocked by Highfield's stupidity. I've never played snooker at any high level and I've figured out when to play safe based on a few hours of watching the matches. These guys are freaking professionals. And Highfield isn't the only one. The same thing has happened a dozen times, just in the first round.
                              It is not only about winning. Sometimes players want to win in style - especially with audience like this. Don't forget it is in the heat of the battle too.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post

There's no way this should be a ranking tournament, simply put the style of play is totally different to any other tournament. Its all about getting a few points then trying to hide the white for the most part, the shot clock is also farcical with it being stupidly quick. Doesn't give the players any time to assess the table you just have to basically dive into a shot and hope the white lands on a colour. The only reason this is a ranking tournament is so del boy hearn can try and strongarm more people into playing in it.
                                Last edited by narl; 10 February 2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X