No announcement yet.

Snooker shoot out 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compare those idiots to Mark Williams. He's thinking about the game situation and what is the optimal shot. When he's in a winning position he waits and lets the clock run down before taking his shot. Of course anybody can beat anybody else in a single frame, but he gives himself the best chance. I guess when you are intelligent you can quickly adapt to any form of snooker or other cue sport you are playing.

Comment

Brecel is another one who has adapted well.
      ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
      "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Snooker shoot out 2018

got to say that down the pub the people who usually disparage snooker are getting into this format
        they are ooohing and aaarhing with the shots and the timing....
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Well done Sunny
          He practises in my town now

Comment

Snooker shoot out 2018

a 95 break for the most mechanical player Well done Akani
            Love him; )
            Last edited by DeanH; 10 February 2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

If Rod Lawler and Alex Borg meet in the next round tomorrow, they'd better spend the night reinforcing the floor boards. That's a lot of combined downward force acting on the floor.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                If Rod Lawler and Alex Borg meet in the next round tomorrow, they'd better spend the night reinforcing the floor boards. That's a lot of combined downward force acting on the floor.
                Definitely not next round
                Borg has Akani; )

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  Borg has Akani; )
                  Where is the draw? Snooker.org says there will be a redraw after tonight's matches.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                    Borg has Akani; )
                    Where is the draw? Snooker.org says there will be a redraw after tonight's matches.
                    Just off world snooker and look at the match numbers
                    http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/Matches/Index/13999/coral-shoot-out-2018

Comment

Snooker shoot out 2018

first draw respot blue I have seen

Good fun :biggrin:
                      Last edited by DeanH; 10 February 2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Just off world snooker and look at the match numbers
                        http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.c...shoot-out-2018
                        Thanks a lot.

Comment

a 95 break for the most mechanical player Well done Akani
                          Love him; )
                          Aside from the break off I thought he looked like a complete natural during that frame/game/match.

I am a fan of this format. I even enjoyed the crowd's rendition of Gold while Martin Gould was playing.

When the crowd go quiet then shout out on the final backswing it irks me and I saw it twice tonight, both times against Chinese players. I'm glad they both won. The 10 second shot clock lady needs scrapped as well.

Comment

I actually record this and watch it back, the only event I do this with. The main reason is to see players I don't get the chance to see on TV in other events, but also to see any matches with exciting/controversial endings.

However, I'm firmly in the 'non ranking event' camp. Barry Hearn should hang his head in shame. I've been trying to think of other sports and how they'd employ an equivalent of the snooker shootout, and give it ranking points. For example, can you imagine Hearn staging a 'Darts Shootout' in which the players have 5 seconds to release their 3 darts, and whoever has the lowest score after 1 minute goes through to the next round?

Or how about a '1-game tennis shootout'? With ranking points? 1-hole golf event? With ranking points? It's unthinkable and ludicrous.

It annoys me the amount of unfinished frames in this event, yet there's still crucial ranking points awarded? Barry Hearn must have heard this a million times now but I'm still going to say it: It's a fun event as a one-off, but to give it ranking status embarrasses our sport. How many times does it need to be said?

Comment

Just watching some Olympic Snowboarding and the presenter just mentioned that the British Olympic Board had received over 35,000 applications from young girls after watching one of the female events!
                              ---
                              A young 17 year old American has just won a men's event in Snowboarding. His name is Gerard Redmond and goes by the nickname Red Gerard. His Twitter account has gone crazy through the roof due to Liverpoolfc fans!
                              ---
                              Now how can Snooker compete with those numbers and public reaction?
                              ---
                              Just for the record, I'm not a fan of the shootout tournament. However, I'm a fan of snooker and all other cue sport disciplines and it's for that reason why I remain positive towards any new ideas put forward no matter how bizarre or silly they may look.
                              Because the fact remains that if snooker is no longer relevant to a younger audience, then WE will be the last commercial generation to watch the sport we love on international TV platforms.
                              Last edited by the lone wolf; 11 February 2018, 11:40 AM.
                              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                              National Snooker Expo
                              25-27 October 2019
                              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by JIMO96 View Post
                                I actually record this and watch it back, the only event I do this with. The main reason is to see players I don't get the chance to see on TV in other events, but also to see any matches with exciting/controversial endings.

However, I'm firmly in the 'non ranking event' camp. Barry Hearn should hang his head in shame. I've been trying to think of other sports and how they'd employ an equivalent of the snooker shootout, and give it ranking points. For example, can you imagine Hearn staging a 'Darts Shootout' in which the players have 5 seconds to release their 3 darts, and whoever has the lowest score after 1 minute goes through to the next round?

Or how about a '1-game tennis shootout'? With ranking points? 1-hole golf event? With ranking points? It's unthinkable and ludicrous.

It annoys me the amount of unfinished frames in this event, yet there's still crucial ranking points awarded? Barry Hearn must have heard this a million times now but I'm still going to say it: It's a fun event as a one-off, but to give it ranking status embarrasses our sport. How many times does it need to be said?
                                6 hole golf and 1 set tennis are both being talked about (may even have been trialled), but I don't think (for now at least) either would be considered as part of the main tour.

For what its worth, I agree with you that the shootout shouldn't be a ranking event.

But when you think about it the WC is far longer than other events, this is merely far shorter...is it really that ridiculous...it might seem it to us, but perhaps not to a younger crowd.

Its not totally unprecedented to have differing formats within one overall 'competition', although I did struggle to come up with this list!!!

US specific:
                                NASCAR (some races are as short as 200 miles, others 500)
                                Indycar (same as above)
                                PBA (10-pin bowling, they have a 6 frame event which is part of the main tour)

Non-US:
                                Women's cricket (T20, 50 over & Test are all included in the womens ashes)
                                Men's cricket (as above, it was trialled, but we all ignored it and I doubt many people even realised last year they were keeping score...this wasn't for the Ashes btw)

Ok so its a rubbish list...but I think its something we will simply have to get used to in time!

For what its worth, I actually really like the shootout, but I think it should be part of a separate competition, like T20 cricket vs Test cricket.

Comment

Working...
                                X