Snooker shoot out 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    Trouble is that anyone can see just how easy pool is when the balls hit the cushion a foot from the pocket and still go in. I like the snooker shoot out format, I despise the idiots in the crowd who only turn up to shout out, if that was dealt with then there will be many more converts.
    Great final and I thought that Dotty was going to do it; btw the blue ball shoot out is great idea to decide a drawn frame, much better than a respotted black.
    The blue ball shoot out is a great idea and should be the way forward in 'real snooker' tournaments because the drama is undeniable.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
      The blue ball shoot out is a great idea and should be the way forward in 'real snooker' tournaments because the drama is undeniable.
      Just no.

As for the final, I felt sorry before, imagine now that I saw how it panned out. I thought he was just gonna miss the brown and that was it.

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
        I'm not sure about that... Players would just go for the pot immediately, so half the time one of the players wouldn't even get a single shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
          I'm not sure about that... Players would just go for the pot immediately, so half the time one of the players wouldn't even get a single shot.
          don't think it is like that, both players get a shot; from the 2018 Shoot Out rules

The player who won the Lag in the frame will have the choice of who plays first in an equal number of alternate attempts and the first player to make an unequalled pot will win the frame.
          Last edited by DeanH; 12 February 2018, 12:37 PM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            don't think it is like that, both players get a shot; from the 2018 Shoot Out rules

The player who won the Lag in the frame will have the choice of who plays first in an equal number of alternate attempts and the first player to make an unequalled pot will win the frame.
            Ah, that's something completely different. :smile: Yeah, that wouldn't be too bad, although I still prefer the re-spotted black personally.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
              Trouble is that anyone can see just how easy pool is when the balls hit the cushion a foot from the pocket and still go in. I like the snooker shoot out format, I despise the idiots in the crowd who only turn up to shout out, if that was dealt with then there will be many more converts.
              Great final and I thought that Dotty was going to do it; btw the blue ball shoot out is great idea to decide a drawn frame, much better than a respotted black.
              Bigger pockets than snooker yes, but not an easy game, just very different. The two games can't really be compared. Pro pool has good players, great players and legends. The legends are every bit as talented as their snooker counterparts. That's why Ronnie goes to America and gets schooled by players like Strickland who are well passed their best. Other than Tony Drago who competed well for a couple of years, over the years no snooker player has successfully competed with the likes of Bustamante, Strickland, Reyes, Shane VB. These snooker players can all pot, so that should tell you something.

Anyway, I like snooker and I like pool. Both are very skilled games when played at a high level. Both entertain me equally, but If I have an hour free I would choose a race to 5 or 7 pool match over a few frames of shoot out all day long. Other than the last hour this year, the other 3 days of the tournament were pretty painful.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                Bigger pockets than snooker yes, but not an easy game, just very different. The two games can't really be compared. Pro pool has good players, great players and legends. The legends are every bit as talented as their snooker counterparts. That's why Ronnie goes to America and gets schooled by players like Strickland who are well passed their best. Other than Tony Drago who competed well for a couple of years, over the years no snooker player has successfully competed with the likes of Bustamante, Strickland, Reyes, Shane VB. These snooker players can all pot, so that should tell you something.

Anyway, I like snooker and I like pool. Both are very skilled games when played at a high level. Both entertain me equally, but If I have an hour free I would choose a race to 5 or 7 pool match over a few frames of shoot out all day long. Other than the last hour this year, the other 3 days of the tournament were pretty painful.
                This argument has been done to death, but here's my 2p anyway. Most snooker players that tried their hands at pool struggle with the speed of the cloth, as they did at the shootout. I also don't think they put enough effort into learning it properly, as there's more money to be made in snooker, so they just go back to that. If there was much more money to be made playing pool, I think you would see a lot more snooker players turning to pool and doing better.

Comment

Just saying pool isn't more of less of a game because of the size of the pockets. When I watch a game and someone runs 10 racks, I don't think at the end 'well, the pockets were huge, so that was easy'. I don't honestly think anyone who has given the game a chance and watched a tournament or two finds they don't enjoy it because of the pocket size. Not promising anyone that they'll enjoy it, but I think that if some people who aren't already fans of cuesports flicked onto ITV4 for half an hour by chance, they might find more entertainment from pros running racks of 9ball than the snooker shootout- the first 3 days anyway when the quality was particularly poor

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                    It's a shoot out. Sudden death just like football penalties...
                    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                    National Snooker Expo
                    25-27 October 2019
                    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

That is due to the lack of money in it. Jayson Shaw is a good snooker player!
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        The only downside are the morons in the audience who weren't raised properly and think making a noise is being big and clever.
                        I went all day on Friday and never again. I HATED the idiots in the crowd. Typical drunken larger louts more suited to watching football shouting out rubbish, thinking they are funny and physically looking around for attention each time they shout out something. Of course, Sean O'Sullivan was going to get the 'Come on Ronnie" shouts but the idiot behind me that continually shouted out "Pocket Rocket" at him with his over acted cockney accent was pathetic. I literally turned round and asked if Whipsnade zoo were missing one of their monkeys. Then the format itself is appalling to be there and watch. Its too long without a break. You have to miss matches just to get up and stretch and get your brain back. Then the quality of the games were also boring. Not for me.
                        Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          That was a bit exciting ehh

Comment

• I spoke to Michael today , as you can imagine he is overwhelmed with his performance and the pressure it takes off him by not having to worry about his tour card . He is also looking forward to the Grand Prix , but we weren’t sure about the qualifying criteria for the Players Championship . He also hopes he can take his form into the next tournaments . I spoke to him before this tournament and he was very happy with his game .
                            A very pleasant and unassuming guy , hope he can kick on from this result .
                            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                              I spoke to Michael today , as you can imagine he is overwhelmed with his performance and the pressure it takes off him by not having to worry about his tour card . He is also looking forward to the Grand Prix , but we weren’t sure about the qualifying criteria for the Players Championship . He also hopes he can take his form into the next tournaments . I spoke to him before this tournament and he was very happy with his game .
                              A very pleasant and unassuming guy , hope he can kick on from this result .
                              so good to hear. i use to watch michael and tam play back in 2003/2004 when they all use to play in the old forest hill club haha. michael didnt really remember me cause i was only 13 at the time but we spoke at Frames back in summer and definitely is a chill back nice guy

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

Lol Ronnie never got schooled by Strickland tho....hes beaten Strickland in his prime before and in tournament where it counts.

Comment

Working...
                                X