Hello And Helps Needed Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello And Helps Needed Please

Hello to all,having browsed the net searching for answers to rules etc, Ithought this might be the best place to join. So if anyone can help with the following I`d be grateful. Here goes
    1) If a player legally pots a red,nominates blue then hits or pots blue, but the white carries on rolling collides with the pink and then goes in-off the black,what is the penalty?

2)In the same senario he misses the blue, and the white does the same.

3)Not quite the same as above,but, If a player aiming for red misses hits blue,then white goes in-off black. or pots the red and the white also knocks blue in,before going in-off black.

I ask these questions because the rules state `the highest value penalty shall be incurred` so I think in all cases above,a penalty of 7 would be the answer. However its a great cause for discussion in my local club,and I am sure its going to turn to an argument soon.. Please anyone HELP

1. 5
    2. 6
    3. 5
    ---

Comment

Originally Posted by Sarmu
      1. 5
      2. 6
      3. 4 and 5
      For number two its actually another foul of 5 isn't it?
      'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

Originally Posted by samasnookerfan
        For number two its actually another foul of 5 isn't it?
        For number 2, I assume the player nominated blue, misses it (not miss the pot) and hits pink first before goes in off the black

and for number 3, I miss read the question, I thought the player had hit the red before hitting the blue.
        ---

Comment

Originally Posted by JONNO
          Hello to all,having browsed the net searching for answers to rules etc, Ithought this might be the best place to join. So if anyone can help with the following I`d be grateful. Here goes
          1) If a player legally pots a red,nominates blue then hits or pots blue, but the white carries on rolling collides with the pink and then goes in-off the black,what is the penalty?
          The foul is 5 for going in-off (penalty being 4 or value of the ball on (blue in this case) whichever is the higher.
          'Misses the blue', I assume you mean fails to hit it. Foul 6 for hitting the pink first.
          3)Not quite the same as above,but, If a player aiming for red misses hits blue,then white goes in-off black. or pots the red and the white also knocks blue in,before going in-off black.
          Penalty 5. For hitting the blue first, or pocketing the ble when blue was not the ball on.
          I ask these questions because the rules state `the highest value penalty shall be incurred` so I think in all cases above,a penalty of 7 would be the answer. However its a great cause for discussion in my local club,and I am sure its going to turn to an argument soon.. Please anyone HELP
          Yes the highest foul counts. But in none of your examples was the black fouled. The only thing that matters in snooker is (a) which ball the cue-ball FIRST strikes, and (b) what balls go in pockets (there are other things of course, like push/jump shots but lI'm talking about a basic shot).

Let's look at your three examples in a bit more detail:

Which aspects of this shot are relevant: (a) the blue was hit first (so that part is not a foul); (b) the white went in. This is a foul for pocketing the cue-ball. The penalty is value of ball-on, in this case 5 for blue.
          'Misses the blue', I assume you mean fails to hit it. Relevant parts of this are: (a) Pink was hit first; that is a foul 6 as blue was the ball on; (b) white went in. That is a foul 5 (for blue, as discussed in your first scenario). We have two fouls, a 6-pointer and a 5-pointer, so we apply the highest calue penalty which is the 6.
          Relevant parts: (a) which ball was hit first? Answer blue; foul because ball on was red. 5 points (b) blue goes in: foul 5 because ball on is red. (c) White goes in. Foul 4, value of ball on. So we have potentially three fouls in the one shot; again we use the highest one which in this case is 5.

Comment

Thankis for taking the trouble to answer. The questions come from a situation that arised recently. Our club has player (and I think every club has one like this) that at times has`nt a clue what to do,so decides to smash at a ball and hope it finds a pocket somewhere. In doing so, a number of fouls occur,hence the confusion at the penalty points. As I stated before the rules taken from the world snooker web site ,states `in the case of more than one foul being committed in the same stroke then the highest penalty shall be incurred.` Which in my interpretation, regardless of what the ball on was, (whether hit or not) if the white continutes to carry on traveling striking various other balls ie pink green etc until finally rolling in-off the black,then surely this is the highest penalty in all the case scenarios mentioned. What do you or anyone alse think.??

Comment

As I stated before the rules taken from the world snooker web site ,states `in the case of more than one foul being committed in the same stroke then the highest penalty shall be incurred.` Which in my interpretation, regardless of what the ball on was, (whether hit or not) if the white continutes to carry on traveling striking various other balls ie pink green etc until finally rolling in-off the black,then surely this is the highest penalty in all the case scenarios mentioned. What do you or anyone alse think.??
              Yes you are right, the highest valued foul counts.

But hitting the black is not a foul. Only hitting the black FIRST is a foul. If you hit a red first, and you're going for a red, then the cue-ball can hit whatever it likes afterwards.

The cue-ball going in-off is the foul, but that is just a 4-pointer if you're on a red. At no time did a foul occur involving the black.

Comment

Well done and thanks Statman. I think that explains eveything.

Comment

Working...
                X