Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from Toronto sends CHEERS!

Hello all,
    My name is Noel and I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    I am very happy to have found you lively, informed bunch of snooker lovers,
    and hope I might be able contribute to the Forum in some way in the future.
    Playing at the club level on and off since Cliff Thorburn made Canadian snooker history and still loving the game, I have been lucky enough to have had a few encouraging centuries... high run was 123.
    My passion has been especially renewed in the past year, taking my 15 year old son to the "academy" a few times a week. He is doing very well and I hope one day will be spotting me points, which brings to mind a nagging issue... my concern that snooker is back-sliding amongst cue-sports here in Canada, with lack of talented new blood and funding and media coverage. The old guys still kick ass here... a good example being the Canadian National Snooker Championships where the finals tomorrow will likely be played between two pillars of the sport in Canada... Alain Robidoux and Kirk Stevens... players some of you may remember from 20 years ago...

http://www.snookerline.com/Can/08/cs908L16.htm
    http://www.globalsnookercentre.co.uk...try_canada.htm

I want to pass a love of snooker and my old cue to my son Miles, but FIRST, I think I need a Trevor White cue to better my high score!

Cheers!

Noel
    Last edited by ferret; 19 August 2008, 09:18 PM. Reason: corrected hyperlink

Welcome! Always nice to see another North American on these here snooker forums :snooker:
    "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
      Hello all,
      My name is Noel and I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
      I am very happy to have found you lively, informed bunch of snooker lovers,
      and hope I might be able contribute to the Forum in some way in the future.
      Playing at the club level on and off since Cliff Thorburn made Canadian snooker history and still loving the game, I have been lucky enough to have had a few encouraging centuries... high run was 123.
      My passion has been especially renewed in the past year, taking my 15 year old son to the "academy" a few times a week. He is doing very well and I hope one day will be spotting me points, which brings to mind a nagging issue... my concern that snooker is back-sliding amongst cue-sports here in Canada, with lack of talented new blood and funding and media coverage. The old guys still kick ass here... a good example being the Canadian National Snooker Championships where the finals tomorrow will likely be played between two pillars of the sport in Canada... Alain Robidoux and Kirk Stevens... players some of you may remember from 20 years ago...

http://www.snookerline.com/Can/08/cs908L16.htm
      ttp://www.globalsnookercentre.co.uk/...try_canada.htm

I want to pass a love of snooker and my old cue to my son Miles, but FIRST, I think I need a Trevor White cue to better my high score!

Cheers!

Noel
      The highest break yesterday in the Canadian Championship was a 139 in the round robin stage. Looks like the old guys can still shoot.
      Last edited by poolqjunkie; 19 August 2008, 07:51 PM.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

welcome to TSF
        ALI FOR WORLD CHAMP 2012

Comment

welcome nice to hear from toronto i was over there a couple of years ago at john whites place shooters. Great place
          " For those of you in black & white, the blue is behind the yellow"

Comment

Hi noel Welcome :snooker:
            Winner of crucible 77's 2008 Jiangsu Classic Fantasy Snooker Game
            Winner of 2009 China Open Prediction Contest

Comment

Thank you all for a great TSF welcome!

Originally Posted by Cossie View Post
              welcome nice to hear from toronto i was over there a couple of years ago at john whites place shooters. Great place
              When John was 18 and still in highschool, and running centuries weekly, he, a few others and myself were schooled in snooker, daily, by a great Lancashireman, George Mycock. John and I reminisced yesterday about how we both very often think of George fondly.

Comment

Hello noel, welcome to the forum. :snooker:

Comment

Welcome Noel. Hope you enjoy the forum
                  "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Especially for YOU..

TheStranger
                    poolqjunkie
                    Kathrin
                    Cossie
                    Anastasia
                    bongo
                    spike

Thanks for the personal welcome!
                    Much appreciated.

Noel

Comment

I would love to hear more snooker stories from the old days in canada.

Thank you for sharing.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Snooker Stories

HI I rember going to Toronto Ontario Canada and there was a snooker tournament at the Cne and Eddie Agah from Montreal Quebec Canada played the Pro Player Tony Knowles also Bill Werbenuik and he beat both of them and Eddie at the time was about 65 years old . leonard

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                          I would love to hear more snooker stories from the old days in canada.

Thank you for sharing.
                          PJ... my mentor, George was taught by the great George Chenier, North American Snooker Champion 1948-1970, 1950 - Second Place, World Championships, 1963 - World Pocket Billiard championship title (ran the first ever perfect game of 150, beating reigning world champion at the time... ran 144 in a world tournament, the longest run ever from a break). Rumour has it it was Chenier who encouraged Thorburn to go to the UK.

http://www.cshof.ca/accessible/hm_profile.php?i=382

There are a number of guys around Toronto in their 70's and 80's who knew and played with Chenier and who followed snooker closely for more than 50 years... I'll ask around for you...

Noel

Comment

I thought i'd read somewhere it was when Spencer made one of his early visits to Canada in the early 70s that he (Spencer) encouraged Thorburn to play in the UK?
                            "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                              I thought i'd read somewhere it was when Spencer made one of his early visits to Canada in the early 70s that he (Spencer) encouraged Thorburn to play in the UK?
                              You may be right. That Cliff won the North American Championships in 1971, held by George Chenier from 1948-1970 begs the image of a "passing of the cue", as it were. I see Cliff around so I'll ask.

Noel

Comment

Working...
                              X