Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hi, quick bio; I've loved snooker since watching 'proper' snooker back in the 80's when some of the players like a pint and a fag during the game lol My all time snooker hero is Jimmy White who, like me, is from Tooting. Unsurprisingly, Ronnie has been my favourite top player for a long time.
    I've played snooker a bit over the years but now I want to start playing properly and improving. I've had my cue for years which is a sports shop pool cue really. Obviously I need to invest in a decent stick. I'm after something at least 58 inches which I know Peradon and Brittania do off the shelf. I had decided on the Peradon Lazer until I read a post on here about 'Ebonized'/Peradon cues being crap. For a cue and case I'm not going over ?200, the butt extensions will have to wait. Any ideas?

I reslly look forward to chatting all things snooker.

Cheers

Jim :snooker:

Highest Break: 28ish a few times.

Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy, Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy :snooker:

well to TSF

Have a look at Stu Green's site, https://www.greenbaize.com/ and you can always call him, he is very good a picking out a cue by people's descriptions

Also, Andrew (ADR147) on here (he has a shop on ebay but often not up to date with his current stock) will probably have something that will work for you

Let us know how you get on, and enjoy play the game we love.

Whereabouts do you play?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi Dean

I live in Newcastle under Lyme and I play at Burslem Billiard Hall which was opened in 1914. Many of the tables are original and have never been moved. Some of the tables have little plaques on stating a famous player and their high break on that table. Nice to play in such an old place.

Comment

Thats a long way from Tooting Jim! But thankfully not that far from Green Baize a brilliant cue stockist with tables onsite to try out cues. :snooker:
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
          Thats a long way from Tooting Jim! But thankfully not that far from Green Baize a brilliant cue stockist with tables onsite to try out cues. :snooker:
          Unfortunately wrong Newcastle mate. I'm about 160miles from Green Baize :culpability:

Comment

Did you used to play in Tooting Jim?

Welcome to TSF
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

No Neil, I was only a little kid in my Tooting days. I know Jimmy learnt his trade in a club on Tooting Broadway - I would have gone past it many times around that time.

His Autobiography is really good.

Comment

Hi Jim I know burslem very well. Being from Stoke originally. My name will be on the break board somewhere. Not been in there for a while mind you. I made a century on the first table. Was a lovely table as I recall. The best player in there by a mile would be Pete Antrobus. I'm sure he's made a maximum in there.
                speaking of cues...just use what you have if it serves you well. No need to go splashing out on some handmade thingy. As it isn't guaranteed to be better than a sports shop type cue. I own a Riley stock cue. Cost me just 7 quid off of eBay. I can play any of the shots required with it. So it begs the question. Why spend so much more when it often offers much less?
                Last edited by inevermissblue; 27 December 2019, 10:22 PM.
                Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Yeah table one is lovely, I'm going in today I'll ask about Pete. Can't recall seeing the break board, I'll have to have a look - it's dark in there! :joyous: I guess your not up there as 'inevermissablue'...

As for my cue.. last time I was in the club I tried one of the ones they sell (on table 1) and the difference was massive, I might as well be playing with a tree branch so I will be investing - I've emailed Stu Green so I'll see what he says.

Comment

Maybe a cue from www.jimmy.com might be an option for you?

https://jimmy.com/product/jimmy-prof...ree-hard-case/

Altho i see those are all 57" only, there's always second hand naturally.

Comment

So, having lost (again) to my mate 4-2 I got talking to a guy who's 6'3 and has a parris cue at 59.75 inches. It terms of length it felt great so I need to find a cue around that length without spending the earth...

Comment

https://www.cuepower.co.uk/product/cue-craft-pro-1/

Are cuepower any good? It's not easy finding a 60inch that's not expensive.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          well to TSF

Have a look at Stu Green's site, https://www.greenbaize.com/ and you can always call him, he is very good a picking out a cue by people's descriptions

Also, Andrew (ADR147) on here (he has a shop on ebay but often not up to date with his current stock) will probably have something that will work for you

Let us know how you get on, and enjoy play the game we love.

Whereabouts do you play?
                          After looking and looking for a cue I've just received my first proper snooker cue from Stu Green, its 58.5 inch and is a nice weight. I got it as a starter pack with extensions and hard case. Stu also put me an Elk tip on and supplied a few spares. Can't wait to start using it. :snooker:

Comment

sounds great, if you can photos would work for us here
                            hope it plays well for you
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              sounds great, if you can photos would work for us here
                              hope it plays well for you
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X