Apology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apology

Some of you will have noticed that I accidentally removed the wrong fixture from the semi-final thread at 00:00 today. An immodest amount of alcohol is to blame.

Anyhow, I have PMed the two Predictors who used that post as a base for their predictions, and hopefully they will be online today before the start of the match. Luckily it is the second match on!

If not, we need to think about what should happen. According to the Rules, any match incorrectly listed on (or missing from) the prediction thread should be disregarded. Obviously I am not keen for this to happen, but it is unfair on the two Predictors concerned that their predictions should be unusable.

We could make the decision that their scores still stand, or we could – as I believe, reluctantly, we should do – decide to disregard the second semi-final.

Let me know your thoughts here.

If they do not react to your PM, let them have the scores they predicted for the semi final.

I do not know exactly which semi was mistakenly published. For example, if it was Ebdon - King and the prediction was 6-4. I would let it count as Ebdon - Day 6-4. It would be fair to give them some chance of getting a point.

Flexibility is my motto.

As a gesture of kindness you could deduct yourself 2 points and hand each one point as compensation.

Comment

Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave
      If they do not react to your PM, let them have the scores they predicted for the semi final.

I do not know exactly which semi was mistakenly published. For example, if it was Ebdon - King and the prediction was 6-4. I would let it count as Ebdon - Day 6-4. It would be fair to give them some chance of getting a point.

Flexibility is my motto.

As a gesture of kindness you could deduct yourself 2 points and hand each one point as compensation.
      I don't think I'm going to get two points to give away!

That's exactly which match it was. They both went for an Ebdon win, so it is reasonable, but not 100%, to 'assume' that they would also have predicted the same score against Day.

The absolute fairest way, of course, is to cancel that match, but as it is a semi-final of course it means there's only one match left!

Comment

2 points of your grand total.

Cancelling the semi final is not a good idea as I am still a top contender.

Maybe in future it is a possibility to install a prediction contest committee to resolve these issues. (rather more mistake, but i dont want to emphasize it too loudly).

Comment

Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave
          2 points of your grand total.

Cancelling the semi final is not a good idea as I am still a top contender.

Maybe in future it is a possibility to install a prediction contest committee to resolve these issues. (rather more mistake, but i dont want to emphasize it too loudly).
          With you as chairman I suppose! The few times I've been on committees, no one can ever agree!
          Winner of Crucible 77's 2009 World Championship Lucky Dip.

Comment

I would say, let the scores stand. Sounds fair enough to all.

Comment

Like judge John Deed.

Originally Posted by Valderie
              With you as chairman I suppose! The few times I've been on committees, no one can ever agree!

Comment

I am too pished to give a tosh either way. Sorry I cant be of help in this instance!

Comment

Well I received revised predictions from one of the affected people, so I am now only one outstanding.

I think it is reasonable to assume that the remaining one would have also predicted an Ebdon win, as he did against King, though I would like to await his say-so before I decide finally.

I will get back to you shortly.

Comment

ill say one thing about your prediction contest Mr Statman

You HAVE to make a score in the first round as an average or poor first round gives you virtually no chance for the rest of the tournament !!!

Comment

well I didn't predict-I have better things to do than spend all Saturday afternoon on the internet.

Gutted. Well not really, I've already won a cue this season.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
                        -
                        Let me know your thoughts here.
                        Maybe it would be worth making the predictors themselves responsible for checking which fixtures still apply when they post thier predictions. I'm sure everyone makes their best effort to get it updated and correct but mistakes can happen.

So if anyone copies either the post above theirs or Statmans post at the top of the thread for the fixtures, and these are wrong for any reason they could lose out.

When I have time myself and if needs be i always check the draw on line to see which matches remain.
                        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g
                          Maybe it would be worth making the predictors themselves responsible for checking which fixtures still apply when they post thier predictions. I'm sure everyone makes their best effort to get it updated and correct but mistakes can happen. ...
                          Yes, maybe.

I think the reason I take responsibility is that I am inviting predictions – and normally, of course, any mistake on my part would nrmally affect far more than just one person; also it is more likely to occur in an earlier round so if one match had to be excluded it wouldn't have such an impact as being 50% of the matches!

I'll leave it as it is for now, and promise not to get drunk on the night that I have to start a thread!

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
                            Yes, maybe.

I think the reason I take responsibility is that I am inviting predictions – and normally, of course, any mistake on my part would nrmally affect far more than just one person; also it is more likely to occur in an earlier round so if one match had to be excluded it wouldn't have such an impact as being 50% of the matches!

I'll leave it as it is for now, and promise not to get drunk on the night that I have to start a thread!
                            Fair enough Guv !

Whatever you think is best.
                            "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

I have thought that I should give the affected Predictor 1 point for free (especially since it will have no effect on the winner of the round, norof the Overall contest). This would seem fair since I am adamant that nobody should be disadvantaged by my own error.

I have randomly selected five Predictors and sought their opinions, and will act according to their votes.

Comment

Working...
                              X