Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Masters - SF discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by barrysnookerfan1985 View Post
    Gilbert has embarrassed himself tonight, surely match over. Bingham v Carter in what will probably be the worst final in many years, two turgid players, no thanks. A dreadful final to end an awful tournament
    That'd s bit harsh Barry. There's a tremendous amount of pressure out there, they're playing for a potential quarter of a million pounds and one of the most prestigious titles in the game. Whatever happens tonight, Gilbert has given us some great snooker this week and can be well proud of himself IMO. As for the tournament as a whole, I've really enjoyed it so far and it's a bit mad to judge the final even before a ball has been struck.

    -
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by PatBlock View Post

      That'd s bit harsh Barry. There's a tremendous amount of pressure out there, they're playing for a potential quarter of a million pounds and one of the most prestigious titles in the game. Whatever happens tonight, Gilbert has given us some great snooker this week and can be well proud of himself IMO. As for the tournament as a whole, I've really enjoyed it so far and it's a bit mad to judge the final even before a ball has been struck.

      -
      Well said Pat, 100% agree. IMHO there is far too much mentioned in Sport generally about stars underperforming, it's a tough school out there and Gilbert has given it his all to me, sometimes the small twists and turns don't go in your favour a "tone" gets set and it's difficult to break away from.

      At at the end of the day I'd give my big toe to have Daves game, the fact he has worked with Steve Feeney and taken his game to another level through determination and hard work.

      So so called fans of sport who sit in their armchairs casting aspersions on talented, hard working stars need to ask themselves how hard they work and what they've achieved in their lives before they spout.
      No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

      Comment


      • #18
        Looking forward to the final and have no favourite I'm just hoping it goes to a final frame decider. Ali can seem to get worked up sometimes and it can't be good for his aim when the heart is pounding but he is clearly very emotional and no doubt overcoming a serious illness and all the gruelling treatment he went through will be at the back of his mind each time he wins a frame. As long as he doesn't smack the rails with his knuckles because I hate it when players do that.
        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

        Comment


        • #19
          A bit disappointing to have yet another one-sided match tonight, but well done to Bingham for playing solidly enough.

          As for Gilbert, I definitely think the opportunity he had here got to him a little and just put too much pressure on him. He played great stuff in his first two matches when the attention wasn't really on him, but then people suddenly started talking about him possibly winning the event. I don't think he was mentally prepared to be in such a position in a tournament like the Masters.

          Definitely not the final I expected, but should be great fun nonetheless.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Billy View Post
            I had to laugh listening to Gilbert’s wife during that little piece there, when she was talking about how close he’d come to reaching the WC final last year. “Yeah it would’ve been nice. A hundred grand, you know, we could have got a little bit more done on the extension...”

            A little bit more! Just how friggin big is this extension??
            I did not see this piece... so they could afford the extension in the first place... not everyone can ...
            I am sure this week will put a bit towards the paint and wallpaper for the extension!
            Up the TSF!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MrRottweiler View Post
              Looking forward to the final and have no favourite I'm just hoping it goes to a final frame decider. Ali can seem to get worked up sometimes and it can't be good for his aim when the heart is pounding but he is clearly very emotional and no doubt overcoming a serious illness and all the gruelling treatment he went through will be at the back of his mind each time he wins a frame. As long as he doesn't smack the rails with his knuckles because I hate it when players do that.
              I don't know if you saw it, but I was pleased to hear Ali say in an interview the day, that he has sought professional help to assist him with his anger issues. I had been thinking, why has no one in his camp talked to him about his attitude but it seems that must have taken place.

              Its a a big step to face up to the fact you may have a problem and then take steps to combat it. I wish him all the best with it.
              No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

              Comment


              • #22
                I smiled at Dave's after match comment.
                'Ali if your watching this please dont get a 145 the wife needs the money'
                Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by PatBlock View Post

                  That'd s bit harsh Barry. There's a tremendous amount of pressure out there, they're playing for a potential quarter of a million pounds and one of the most prestigious titles in the game. Whatever happens tonight, Gilbert has given us some great snooker this week and can be well proud of himself IMO. As for the tournament as a whole, I've really enjoyed it so far and it's a bit mad to judge the final even before a ball has been struck.

                  -
                  Yeah, regret saying he embarrassed himself, wish I thought before posting, he just underperformed, Best of luck to both players in today's final

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I'm afraid with Carter getting through I have been completely turned off the Masters

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by barrysnookerfan1985 View Post

                      Yeah, regret saying he embarrassed himself, wish I thought before posting, he just underperformed, Best of luck to both players in today's final
                      It's easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment and say things we don't really mean, we've all done it mate, emotions can ride high when you're passionate about something and that's not such a bad thing.
                      Hope you enjoy the final.

                      -
                      The fast and the furious,
                      The slow and labourious,
                      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        enjoyed it today more than I thought I would, bring on tonight's session

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Cue crafty View Post

                          I don't know if you saw it, but I was pleased to hear Ali say in an interview the day, that he has sought professional help to assist him with his anger issues. I had been thinking, why has no one in his camp talked to him about his attitude but it seems that must have taken place.

                          Its a a big step to face up to the fact you may have a problem and then take steps to combat it. I wish him all the best with it.
                          I hadn't seen that and like you say the first step is to recognise it's a problem so good for him and talking publicly about it might help others.
                          www.mixcloud.com/jfd

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X