Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 UK championship

I thought Mink would win that match.

She had her chances. Michael had gone at one stage and was missing by miles. Think he had a warning from the ref at one stage. Getting pulled off at 5-5 probably helped him.
    Last edited by Nifty50; 20 November 2023, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Surprisingly comfortable win for Martin Gould, nice little 5k to jack up his earnings.

Comment

What is it with pro snooker that it can only attract an obscure sponsor like MrQ ? ( I've never heard of them before )

I suspect someone isn't doing their job properly.

Comment

Same as with the recent grand slam of darts sponsored by Mr Vegas, another relatively unheard of and similar name.

I guess it's just this era of online betting, it's very lucrative and most people who bet will be drawn into having a flutter even if they don't follow the game. We should be thankful they want to sponsor the tournaments because without betting companies, I wonder if sports like darts and snooker would be viable now. We saw after the tobacco ban how much that damaged the game and the few tournaments we had. Something had to replace that and betting companies having taken their place. If govt regulates to remove them (strong possibility), it's hard to see where else sponsorship will come from, enjoy it while it lasts.

Comment

Common Gilbert.

Comment

I've always hoped snooker might get a watch makers sponsorship, what with AST stats, shot clocks, fastest 147 / century talked about often it would seem a nice backer.

Of course we're unlikely to get Rolex like Pro golf but a good reliable brand like Tissot ...... 🤔

I can just imagine some of the strap lines now on great distance screw back shots etc..... timed to perfection!
              Last edited by Cue crafty; 21 November 2023, 10:25 AM.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

CC Tony Meo was an agent for a watch company. Maybe he could have a word. It’s a good fit. A lot of the snooker players are seen sporting fancy watches.

Comment

A chance to win a JP Paragon cue. I've just entered it. It's on wst's website.

Comment

Thats a good win for Kleckers, Day looked in decent form the little i saw of it.

Comment

There are 3 purple sort of led light strips at the baulk end of the table. I wonder if they might affect the players concentration.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                        What is it with pro snooker that it can only attract an obscure sponsor like MrQ ? ( I've never heard of them before )

I suspect someone isn't doing their job properly.
                        If MrQ was a games room company it would be a marketing hit but as a gambling company it looks like a cynical strategy.

https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.u...ulatory-action

I've not read the public statement so don't know what the fine relates to but it doesn't surprise me that it involves social responsibility.
                        Last edited by MrRottweiler; 21 November 2023, 11:03 PM.
                        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post

If MrQ was a games room company it would be a marketing hit but as a gambling company it looks like a cynical strategy.

https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.u...ulatory-action

I've not read the public statement so don't know what the fine relates to but it doesn't surprise me that it involves social responsibility.
                          Thanks, interesting.

I was thinking more on the lines that this tournament will be on the BBC for 9 days, Saturday through to the following Sunday and even if a lot of that time will be online or on the back channels on digital tv thats still a lot of exposure for potential sponsors.
                          It has to be some kind of cultural snobbery thing, i got that term off my mate ? David Hendon yeeaars ago talking about the same thing and it still seems to hit the nail on the head now too sadly.

Comment

Cultural snobbery is spot on. Snooker has made some progress to shake off the reputation as a misspent youth with clubs full of Oliver Twist characters and frowned upon by the establishment but it will always be there hanging over it. Being added to the Olympics or a knighthood might help with the image but it seems snooker players are overlooked or John Virgo would have received a KBE for services to sports and entertainment in the 90s.
                            www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

There might be some aspect that snobbery permeated its way through sport itself in the fact that Steve Davis won the SPOTY multiple times in the 80's, soccer is another good example although a lot had to be changed there after the Hillsborough tragedy in 1989 and Bradford disaster four years earlier.

Correction, Davis finished in the top three of SPOTY on multiple occasions iirc.
                              Last edited by trains; 22 November 2023, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X