Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Doubles 2024

Starts on Saturday the 30th of March.

Leads into the Tour Championship, which is maybe not a bad idea.

Good that it promotes women's snooker, but, I don't know, I must be missing something over it really. I wonder what the crowds will be
    like? The GMex is a vast venue. There is a good snooker club not far away from it too. Just finding it hard to get particularly
    excited over it, maybe that will change. I will still watch it!

Originally Posted by FredDavis'Leg View Post
    Starts on Saturday the 30th of March.

Leads into the Tour Championship, which is maybe not a bad idea.

Good that it promotes women's snooker, but, I don't know, I must be missing something over it really. I wonder what the crowds will be
    like? The GMex is a vast venue. There is a good snooker club not far away from it too. Just finding it hard to get particularly
    excited over it, maybe that will change. I will still watch it!
    Last year the crowd was reasonable and the matches entertaining
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Mark Allen has withdrawn, doesn't want to face Reanne again
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
        Mark Allen has withdrawn, doesn't want to face Reanne again
        Yes, that was my thinking too! In it one day on the WST website, out the next. A pity but Selby is a fair replacement.

In truth though it was electric viewing when then played against each other, maybe a bit soap opera-ish but
        still watchable.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Last year the crowd was reasonable and the matches entertaining
          Yes fair point, I just wonder if the venue will be a bit too big for it this year, but I guess it depends how they work it inside.
          You can get about 10k of people I would estimate into the GMex, certainly gigs I have been to there you are talking thousands
          upon thousands, so just wonder how that will work, maybe they curtain half of it off. I hope it is well attended, it seems in yesteryear
          Manchester was a popular snooker venue, not so sure now, but I hope so.

Comment

Originally Posted by FredDavis'Leg View Post

Yes, that was my thinking too! In it one day on the WST website, out the next. A pity but Selby is a fair replacement.

In truth though it was electric viewing when then played against each other, maybe a bit soap opera-ish but
            still watchable.
            Nothing better than a grudge match and Reanne sure holds a grudge about something.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

This is pretty hard going.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Well I watched it this afternoon but the standard was pretty poor so I'll not bother again. I don't think there's any future in this competition to be honest, there's a biological reason why men and women are kept apart in sport and it was plain to see why today. What did Hendon say about the recent womens world final, over seven hours for an eleven frame match and what I watched today was little more than local league 30 handicapper standard.
                Yes I know they can knock in tons, but not when I'm watching.
                BTW has anyone ever witnessed Desi deciding that a snooker was so diificult that she didn't call a miss ?

Comment

There is also a reason why the doubles format was dropped from snooker and this has been the perfect showcase that it's simply not conducive to good quality snooker.

In fact, I'd go as far to say, that those involved in this are actually doing their game and confidence no good whatsoever. Missing balls they wouldn't miss, being frustrated due to not getting any rhythm, and simply trying too hard not to let down their partner. Allen and Ronnie pulling out made the right decision, Trump and Selby will struggle this week in the Players event due to this, I'm certain of it. Silly event and this isn't showing the women in any good light, please ITV drop this, everyone is completely bored.

Comment

I think It would be far more interesting if they were playing alternate shot and whoever sunk the winning ball their partner should break.
                    Rules need some adjusting to make it more interesting because at the moment it's looking like watching paint dry and there's no interaction between the players.
                    If any of you have watched Mosconi cup doubles you'll get a fair idea of what this could be like notwithstanding the rowdy crowd of course we don't really want that.
                    It just needs to be made more interesting to watch

Comment

I think the standard of the game in this era is too high for this format to be entertaining, players are still trying to p,ay their best match play standard because they want to win but also know the higher ranked pro will clear up/make a one visit win if they leave a good chance etc.

Back in the day of the Hoffmeister doubles, a few more risks could be taken which led to more exhibition style snooker and a more relaxed and entertaining format.....which tbh is all doubles should ever be!! A chance for the players to relax, interact, have some fun and show off some of their talents without any great concern for winning, just ride the wave 🌊

People won't really care who wins this, but they will remember things like an amazing shot that one of the lower ranked players pulls off, and that could be imortalised on YouTube forever!! (ok I understand money is important to these guys but it's such a lottery why worry!?!?)
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Maybe a 15 second shot clock might liven a doubles match up.

Comment

Managed 15 minutes of this, I remember how bad the Woman's single final was and when Mink played that terrible careless colour where she was very lucky not to snooker herself I was thinking she'll probably miss this next easy red and it didn't even rattle, I just switched it off after that.
                          The only way to make this format interesting is to play what we call Scotch doubles where you take alternate shots with your partner
                          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                            Maybe a 15 second shot clock might liven a doubles match up.
                            I think a £15k prize for "shot of the championship" would lend itself to better free flowing and entertaining play!

Better to reward adventurous plays here rather than unwatchable defending negative poor play. Encourage the players to showcase their skills and take some chances.

It's a stupid format in the modern era so jazz it up and make it glitzy, give players a chance to shine. I think it would help the ladies grow in confidence as players and let them have some freedom to show off.

Maybe some of them have zero flair, but I bet Mary Talbot would relish the chance to try a Jimmy White shot or two!!
                            Last edited by Cue crafty; 1 April 2024, 08:44 PM.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

I think a £15k prize for "shot of the championship" would lend itself to better free flowing and entertaining play!

Better to reward adventurous plays here rather than unwatchable defending negative poor play. Encourage the players to showcase their skills and take some chances.
                              That seems a fair amount for one shot! I wonder if it might encourage some wild flashing type shots? What do you do about outrageous flukes though that result from good shots?

Comment

Working...
                              X