Cazoo World Championship 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

Although I don't like him much, I'd have to disagree. Do you play at all? I ask because, I would think that most people who've ever used a cue for any length of time, would say he's pretty special. Maybe if you don't play yourself, he's not so easy to get, as it were. Apologies if I'm way off the mark here, it's all about opinions, as they say. Oh, and the numbers I suppose.

-
    The players who are as good as him are at least ten years younger and have achieved more than he had at that point in his career. Take Selby four example - nearly ten years younger than Ronnie and already has 4 world titles. Judd's even younger and is running Ronnie close for total ranking titles already. In ten years time we'll be mentioning Selby and Judd in the same breath as Ronnie as all time greats.

I haven't played for quite a few years - I'm looking at taking it back up soon though - while Ronnie is very skilled - the sports inability to recognise and market the equally good players as well as he's marketed is going to end up killing the sport. I'd much rather watch at long form match with Selby or Judd in it than Ronnie. Most of the pros astound me with the skill they have on a snooker table, Ronnie's just a tad quicker about it - that doesn't make him invincible to criticism like some in here think.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

Although I don't like him much, I'd have to disagree. Do you play at all? I ask because, I would think that most people who've ever used a cue for any length of time, would say he's pretty special. Maybe if you don't play yourself, he's not so easy to get, as it were. Apologies if I'm way off the mark here, it's all about opinions, as they say. Oh, and the numbers I suppose.

-
      I think he's pretty special in this era. I also think though, that he's not as naturally talented as Alex Higgins and not as good a match player as Hendry, or even Reardon.

The idea that there are 6 players better than him on the tour today is laughable.

Comment

• Ronnie isn't the best ever. Noone is. There is no valid way to determine who is the "best ever".

Snooker as any sport is always just defining a specific moment in time at very specific variables and any other moment may bring a different result. A valid "best ever" would simply never lose... I'd say Ronnie can easily lose to most top players on any day, certainly to the likes of Higgins, Williams, Selby, Trump or Hendry in his prime, in fact Ronnie loses quite regularly to far lesser players.

Ronnie is the most decorated player ever and that only says that. Any conclusions drawn from that fact are just hypothetical and unreliable and we do it because it's fun in a way. To be biased is part of our tribal nature and our pattern recognitional behaviour. Our brain is wired to simplify complex data we cannot comprehend otherwise. The "GOAT" is a media thing to draw attention.
        "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• Milkins/Pang is so bad. I wonder really how anyone could be so bad seeing as that's all they do, Crucible nerves or a venue that causes too many distractions ?

Ronnie has won the most titles over a long period of time, off the rails as a young man due to his father's crime and if it wasn't for that he would have done it all much sooner. He plays snooker for a living and no one person needs anything more from him than that, you either like watching him play or you don't, appreciate his talent or not.
          And one must remember also that todays players are standing on the shoulders of giants, the ones who pioneered and progressed the game through different eras, invented the shots and tactics.

My favourite player will always be Alex Higgins, never a serial champion and an awful person 90% of the time but he could play shots that no one else even thought of and that's what he's remembered for.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
            Milkins/Pang is so bad. I wonder really how anyone could be so bad seeing as that's all they do, Crucible nerves or a venue that causes too many distractions ?
            It's painful. You'd think they are used to noise / audience etc. I think it can only be the pressure of the World champs.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
              Milkins/Pang is so bad. I wonder really how anyone could be so bad seeing as that's all they do, Crucible nerves or a venue that causes too many distractions ?

Yeah, it's painful to watch. Just bad.
              "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• Originally Posted by neuronic View Post
                Ronnie isn't the best ever. Noone is. There is no valid way to determine who is the "best ever".

Snooker as any sport is always just defining a specific moment in time at very specific variables and any other moment may bring a different result. A valid "best ever" would simply never lose... I'd say Ronnie can easily lose to most top players on any day, certainly to the likes of Higgins, Williams, Selby, Trump or Hendry in his prime, in fact Ronnie loses quite regularly to far lesser players.

Ronnie is the most decorated player ever and that only says that. Any conclusions drawn from that fact are just hypothetical and unreliable and we do it because it's fun in a way. To be biased is part of our tribal nature and our pattern recognitional behaviour. Our brain is wired to simplify complex data we cannot comprehend otherwise. The "GOAT" is a media thing to draw attention.
                Even the man himself knows that https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/...s/cg3lq5ll9dxo

Comment

• Originally Posted by neuronic View Post

Yeah, it's painful to watch. Just bad.
                  I like Milkins, his ability to just point the cue and pot balls so easily is superb. However, I agree that he can be painful to watch, it seems a pity
                  as it appears he has real talent potting, it's a shame that so far he can't work on the mental side a bit more and not become so wound up with himself.

Comment

• Wow Milkins so careless.

Comment

• Pang's potting and breakbuilding could be better though, I thought this player https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhao_Jianbo was better, banned til late 2025 though.

Comment

• Gotta love Dom Dale, such a genuine guy. Uphill task today though.

Fancy Ding today over Lisowski.

And Ronnie day, is he going to be on it? Lets' hope so.

Comment

• Poor Dom...
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Where has the ambient option gone on Eurosport? I don't want to listen to these balloons.

-
                            The fast and the furious,
                            The slow and labourious,
                            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• That was so unlucky to go inoff after being on nothing after that split... I guess the snooker gods want Jack to win today
                              "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                                Poor Dom...
                                Dom is in love, he doesn't care too much...
                                "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Working...
                                X