Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post

Cold and wet in sheffield right now so not good conditions
    Ryan Day is suffering from his usual playing from the shoulder routine, he really needs to shorten his bridge to ball but if he needs that much cue over his thumb to sight the shot then a longer cue is the answer for such a tall man.

Bit like the "Going" on a racetrack for horses, amount of moisture etc, the Crucible is most probably susceptible to ambient conditions.

BTW have you noticed the way Ryan raises his bridge on a stun /screw shot? It appears to be on the strike....not a wise thing to do. 🤔
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by AlOs View Post
      Has anyone else noticed the alarmingly low number of centuries this year? We might be looking at the lowest figure since over a decade ago. I wonder if it's because the tables are tighter or everyone is just somehow playing worse...
      Barry Hearn had them tightened he's bricking it incase the double 147 gets done.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• It says on snooker.org that this is Higgins's 100 match at the worlds. Anyone know who holds the record and what is?

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Barry Hearn had them tightened he's bricking it incase the double 147 gets done.
          Yeh and he nipped in and licked Ronnies tip when he popped out the arena for a break.....
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by snookerfollower View Post
            So that's Williams and Trump who've essentially confirmed they aren't going to join the breakaway tour. Relief for WST I imagine. Ronnie also expected to stick with WST.
            I thought Williams would be vulnerable to a bid from the Saudis. Going by his interview when he got knocked out saying it might be his last time at the Crucible and the fact there are some fantastic golf courses in that region that you can play on 24/7 as they are floodlit at night .
            I'm glad both have said no they would be a big, big loss to the tour imo.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Yeh and he nipped in and licked Ronnies tip when he popped out the arena for a break.....
              Is that a euphemism?
              ooerr Mrs.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Is that a euphemism?
                ooerr Mrs.
                No I'm far too sensible to suggest something so risque!

🤣
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• I notice Shaun was wearing his "please beat me up" waistcoat today! Glad Mags was able to oblige.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by SnookerfromtheThatcherEra View Post

Interesting, Vmax! I love a bit of technical talk. Did you see my question upthread about the 'tremor' on Higgins' final backswing pause? Appreciate your thoughts.
                    He's been doing that for over ten years now, maybe longer, doesn't seem to affect his form.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by AlOs View Post

I am just surprised at how steep of a dropoff it is. Going from 75+ centuries in the past few years to the likely prospect of failing to hit 50-60.
                      It's a major problem with the aramith balls, this is why the table conditions have moved to super fine cloths and table heaters. The aramith phenolic resin is a softer material than the previous super crystalate so can't be as highly polished, therefore the surface of the balls are rougher which lead to prolonged (thicker) contacts on normal club cloths and conditions.

When conditions are perfect the tons flow as players don't have to belt the cue ball as hard as they can so therefore are more accurate, the contacts between the balls are cleaner, the game is easier. It's a very fine line between good and bad conditions, the slightest extra bit of moisture in the atmosphere will cling to the surface of the balls/cloth, increase the resistance between them on contact and also make them more prone to picking up chalk from the tip and cloth.

Watch for the number of easy balls missed thick, that's the sign of poor table conditions, when they miss thin it's due to poor cueing, unwanted sidespin means you always miss thin because of the direction of the lay of the nap in relation to the spinning cue ball note: Ryan Days upper arm drop from the shoulder makes him always miss thin as the cue goes off line before the strike.

I've posted on this issue many times, most don't believe it but I went through the change from SC balls to aramith and noticed it then and that's why I still play with my own set of SC's. When I play with the clubs aramiths there are about five kicks per frame, with my SC's there are about five kicks per two hour session.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Before the tournament started, or rather the draw just prior to the crucible, if you'd have said one of Maguire or Gilbert would be in the semi's, you'd have been laughed at. I think the prize of that alone will now really start playing on their mind. It's certainly going to be tough to call who their opponent may be though, kyren looks well set but can he beat Allen or Higgins over a three session match, he's been completely untested so far.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                          It says on snooker.org that this is Higgins's 100 match at the worlds. Anyone know who holds the record and what is?

-
                          ROS (but of course )

see
                          https://cuetracker.net/statistics/ma...alifier,6-reds

"at the worlds" including qualifiers - not just at the Crucible - different list

Higgins is on 99, ROS on114, etc.; as the matches are still in play.

[click on the Matches Played column heading to sort by that]
                          Last edited by DeanH; 28 April 2024, 01:51 PM.
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post

It's a major problem with the aramith balls, this is why the table conditions have moved to super fine cloths and table heaters. The aramith phenolic resin is a softer material than the previous super crystalate so can't be as highly polished, therefore the surface of the balls are rougher which lead to prolonged (thicker) contacts on normal club cloths and conditions.

When conditions are perfect the tons flow as players don't have to belt the cue ball as hard as they can so therefore are more accurate, the contacts between the balls are cleaner, the game is easier. It's a very fine line between good and bad conditions, the slightest extra bit of moisture in the atmosphere will cling to the surface of the balls/cloth, increase the resistance between them on contact and also make them more prone to picking up chalk from the tip and cloth.

Watch for the number of easy balls missed thick, that's the sign of poor table conditions, when they miss thin it's due to poor cueing, unwanted sidespin means you always miss thin because of the direction of the lay of the nap in relation to the spinning cue ball note: Ryan Days upper arm drop from the shoulder makes him always miss thin as the cue goes off line before the strike.

I've posted on this issue many times, most don't believe it but I went through the change from SC balls to aramith and noticed it then and that's why I still play with my own set of SC's. When I play with the clubs aramiths there are about five kicks per frame, with my SC's there are about five kicks per two hour session.
                            Whoa all of this is very enlightening! I didn't know that a wee bit of moisture could be such a break factor. I used to think that it was mainly the cloth that gets affected, not the rest of the equipment. Although I swear they've been using aramith balls for a very long time now... like almost two decades? Or that might be in American pool.

Comment

Will Lisowski ever learn not to play difficult shots with his other hand!! What's his issue? Trying to pretend your Ronnie or something Jack!?!?

The time to accept you are not as capable right handed was about 5 years ago......

Handing frames on a plate to an ex world champ.... Great idea Jack.
                              And again.......
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

And again.......
                                Lisowski is so sloppy. An average shot time of 12 seconds is simply too fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X