No announcement yet.

Cazoo World Championship 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I almost forgot how much I loved snooker when it's like this. That was some clearance from Higgins to take the match.

Comment

• Reminiscent of Higgins O Sullivan 1996, Higgins misses with the rest the only ball that could have saved O Sullivan, this time Allen repeats the favour to Higgins, great match.

Comment

• Cracking clearance there. John Higgins has done that so many times before, but he's not been as strong recently when the pressure has been on, and to get to the quarters and with his place in the top 16 on the line, that's got to give him so much confidence going into the next round.

Comment

• What a match, well, matches. Higgins is a tough nut to crack isn't he. 🧙‍♂️ That double. And fair dues to Bingham, far from his best but found a way, with a little help from the scarecrow.
          So, young guys out, crumblies through. Amazing.

-
          The fast and the furious,
          The slow and labourious,
          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Cue crafty #315 yeah i was watching both matches, inexcusable miss, nothing more to see really, he's just another player somewhere up there i think, top 32 or 16 thats about it.
            Last edited by trains; 29 April 2024, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• My man does it again. What a clearance from John...absolutely incredible! So glad for him. What a match as well. Fantastic stuff tonight.

Comment

• Well done John. What a clearance in the decider. All or nothing with that double. Then that final red. I hope his confidence is back now and all thoughts about retirement are brushed aside.

Comment

• It's time to predict the quarter-finals:
                  Gilbert 12 - 13 Maguire
                  Wilson 13 - 10 Higgins
                  Trump 13 - 7 Jones
                  Bingham 13 - 11 O'Sullivan

Comment

• The Higgins match sounded very exciting, but as per usual on a weekday my bedtime beat the finish

Delighted for John, gutted for Jack, but Bingham will be going home at the end of the next match anyway.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
                      I apologise if this has been mentioned before. I couldn't find it. Why have some players seeding changed (like Ronnie to 1 and Judd to 2) but others haven't like Lisowski and Bingham? I understand it's because other seeds are out but I've never noticed this before in tournaments.
                      A player's seeding for the World Championships is related to their Ranking position; depending on the ranking of the correct Champion.

Brecel is rank #4 but as Holder he is seeded #1
                      So he pushes ROS etc down one; ROS seeded #2
                      Till Selby who is ranked and seeded #5; continue down to Rank #16.
                      These 16 are placed into the last 32 round - first competition proper round at the Crucible - in the traditional sequence seed #1 in match #1, #16 in match 16, so they will only meet at the final - if they win all their matches. And the other 14 players are shuffled in. See images below - this why you often hear commentators/pundits saying "in the top half of the draw" or "in that player's quarter".

From rank 17 downwards - are not seeded and had to play in the qualifiers.
                      Rank 17-32 one round of qualifiers.
                      33-48 two rounds.
                      etc.
                      The 16 winners of the last round of qualifiers are random drawn into the remaining Last 32 places.
                      Lisowski is rank #17, Bingham #29.
                      https://www.wst.tv/rankings?

Last edited by DeanH; 30 April 2024, 07:50 AM.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

A player's seeding for the World Championships is related to their Ranking position; depending on the ranking of the correct Champion.

Brecel is rank #4 but as Holder he is seeded #1
                        So he pushes ROS etc down one; ROS seeded #2
                        Till Selby who is ranked and seeded #5; continue down to Rank #16.
                        These 16 are placed into the last 32 round - first competition proper round at the Crucible - in the traditional sequence seed #1 in match #1, #16 in match 16, so they will only meet at the final - if they win all their matches. And the other 14 players are shuffled in. See images below - this why you often hear commentators/pundits saying "in the top half of the draw" or "in that player's quarter".

From rank 17 downwards - are not seeded and had to play in the qualifiers.
                        Rank 17-32 one round of qualifiers.
                        33-48 two rounds.
                        etc.
                        The 16 winners of the last round of qualifiers are random drawn into the remaining Last 32 places.
                        Lisowski is rank #17, Bingham #29.
                        https://www.wst.tv/rankings?

I know all of this! What I'm saying is I have never noticed in this tournament the top 16 seedings changing depending who gets knocked out above them. Same in Wimbledon for example. If say Federer was seeded #1 and Nadal #2 and Federer gets knocked out early. I've never seen Nadal jump to #1. He was still seeded 2 for the tournament. In all the years I've been watching the snooker, I've never seen the seeding change depending who gets knocked out. If that's always been happening, then I've just plopped into an alternative reality!
                        Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

• I hope I speak on behalf of everyone in here when I say Go Mags!
                          "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• I'm a bit late but what a fantastic counter clearance from Higgins. As Odrl said both these matches makes you fall in love with the game all over again. I've been a bit meh with this one but it felt like the fuse was lit last night and it's going to get going now.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                              Well done John. What a clearance in the decider. All or nothing with that double. Then that final red. I hope his confidence is back now and all thoughts about retirement are brushed aside.
                              He keeps his top sixteen ranking as well, he had to win that match to keep it, just another bit of pressure on that clearance.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Trump in big trouble against Jones. Bit surprising given he started off with a century but a poor positional shot when in the balls in the 2nd frame and since then Jones has taken complete charge.

You can't win the match in the first session of these 3 session games, but you can certainly lose them and fall too far behind to realistically make a comeback. His arse has gone and is only 3-1 down, if you are under pressure at this stage, you've got no chance of going any further in the competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X