Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STAR Table not set-up to genuine spec's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get the idea that PDC dartboards have wider trebles than the BDO? Phil Taylor would annihilate any WDO player on any board.

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
      Where do you get the idea that PDC dartboards have wider trebles than the BDO? Phil Taylor would annihilate any WDO player on any board.
      ted hankey said it back in 2009, its due to the different wires they use on brands of boards, the treble is actually the same size on the board but the PDC use a thinner wire between numbers etc making it a bigger area to be able to take a dart into it. same as tables really slight differences between brands found.

Comment

That is just an excuse. They all changed the wire to a different shape to try a stop so many bounce outs. WDO and PDC both use the same boards.

Comment

The tables for tv tournaments have bigger pockets to make potting easier and therefore sell the game to the public who don't play it. Judd Trump has realised this and is "making hay while the sunshines" to quote the the late Ted Lowe. Look at the difference when last years WSC was played on the new Star tables compared to the alleged same tables this year. Either the templates have changed or the tables can be altered to suit.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
            The tables for tv tournaments have bigger pockets to make potting easier and therefore sell the game to the public who don't play it. Judd Trump has realised this and is "making hay while the sunshines" to quote the the late Ted Lowe. Look at the difference when last years WSC was played on the new Star tables compared to the alleged same tables this year. Either the templates have changed or the tables can be altered to suit.
            I've seen Judd practice. Trust me, he makes a lot of hay no matter where he's playing.

Comment

During frame 15 of the China Open one of the commentators was talking about a match play table in one tournament being setup with the fall of the slate being set back 1/4" into the pocket and how difficult it was to pot balls. I am now more convinced than ever that my original assumption was correct. I believe the cushions are more than likely regulation however the slate has been bought forward possibly as much as 1/2". One hundred breaks every second frame is just not on, sure it's still good snooker and certainly good for TV, that said, in the real world 100 breaks simply do not occur that often.

Comment

The players you are talking about are the very best in the world and no matter where they play 100 breaks do occur often. I can see you're very invested in your theory, but the truth is that the table is the same for both players regardless, and if those players were on any other table they'd be knocking in even more tons!
                I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

All I can say is I played on the Star tables at the Southwest Snooker Academy and they were a hell of a lot tighter than any normal club table I've played on and also tighter than my own table here at my facility.

In 2 weeks there with daily coaching and practice, the best I managed was a 93 and that involved a few lucky shots.

I also have a set of the IBSF templates here and with the exception of the middle pockets, I believe the Star tables are very very close to those, but with the middle pockets on the Star tables slightly more forgiving (if you can call it that)

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Like Magicman says these players are just so good . Take a look at a lot of big breaks and i would say the majority of times you can count on one hand ( if That ) the number of times they lose almost precise position . Most of the pots are therefore relatively easy by their standards . Besides this they are capable of doing it frame after frame , thats the big difference .

Comment

Hi Terry,

Star tables finally get it right. I consider the tables down-under are regulation, much tighter than those set-up in the UK. It may not be as spectacular as the games played in the UK however to me, it is the best snooker I have seen in a long time. I can see by the comments of many members herein they considered the games very exciting. You really do not have to be a rocket scientist to see it is an entirely different game. The pockets didn't worry Mark Williams, he played almost flawless snooker, in fact, after watching his match against Gilbert, I think he will be extremely hard to beat.

Comment

Cliff Thourburn once said: "I have never played on a table where the pockets where big enough!"

Alex Higgins once said: "The pockets at Willie Thorns club where so big I nearly fell in as I was walking around the table!"

It is all subjective and for what my opinion is worth (not much) the tables are obviously going to be tighter at these qualifying schools than they are on TV in the big events or at some of these exhibition events (Legends for example) because the crowds/promoters want to see bigger breaks etc., I also think this suits the more flambouyant players when it gets to the tv stage which is a good thing.
                        The professional game bears actually little resembelance to the game most of the rest of the world plays on these rubbish tables in your local club, as the cloth is thinner, the heated bed on the slate makes it run faster, the cushions are steel blocked and responsive, the pockets cut like waterfalls and they (pro players) dont need to hit the ball as hard and so gaining position making a cannon and spliting the reds is much easier than on your local club table and therefore more breaks are made more frequently as a result. That said they (pro players) do have tremendous skill and make it look ridiculously easy.

I also think this is the reason that it takes time and is so difficult for am players to adapt to the change in conditions when competing on the tour, although new academies like the ones recently built will help these young players adapt more easily.

Comment

A very good post 1blonde, thank you.

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                            A very good post 1blonde, thank you.
                            oooo compliments, thank-you, nice to be appreciated.
                            By the way that snooker cue of your is beautiful. Probably worth more than the bike. (lol)

Comment

The Australian Open is a televised world ranking even, hardly a qualifying school.

Comment

Hi Terry
                                It may seem out of the topic in question but I have something to ask you about. As you have mentioned that you have No. 10 cloth fitted on your table at home please let me know is it worth it? I have heard that it wears very quickly is it true? How long will it last if I played for a couple of hours every day? I've also heard that it laxes after a few days play and needs re-stretching? I have got a table at home currently fitted with Heinsworth cloth but I am planning to replace with something lightning fast. Please guide me on the difference and worth of the No. 10 and the 6811 Tournament/Gold 30 oz. What do you advise me based on your vast experience?
                                Thank you in advance
                                Hsn.
                                Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                                Just to add my 2 cents worth as I just had 2 weeks at the Southwest Snooker Academy. I have a BCE Westbury at home which I thought was set to the templates used on the Riley pro tables but I can tell you the Star tables at the academy are a lot tighter.

However, there is one slight difference between the tables at the Academy and those on TV and that is the cloths are always brand new on the TV tables and are replaced through the tournament and also the spotlights in use keep the table surface quite warm. The brand new cloths are the reason some balls are able to touch the cushion just before the pocket yet still slide in.

At the Southwest Academy the cloths are not brand new (but still in pristine shape and changed frequently) so those tables will play tighter than those on TV. I can guarantee that as I practiced on them for 13 days.

I did notice a slight difference between the 2 tables I used, and one was definitely harder than the other and I think that is just down to human error from the table fitter as he can't be expected to get each and every table perfectly to template all the time.

I believe the Star tables in use for the pros on TV are tight enough and don't need any tinkering. Potting a ball down the cushion is still tough and in fact tougher than on my table at home even though I have the #10 cloth fitted now

Terry

Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X