No announcement yet.

World Open 2014 - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on my Sky+ records there was a sound delay, but on the streaming no such delay
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

No technical problems here, luckily. :smile:

Interesting day of snooker... I slept over the night session, good decision probably, as Selby and Hamilton didn't even finish before the next one. :smile: Allen was in trouble for a bit against Dunn, on the verge on trailing 3-1 at one point, but after Allen made it 2-2 Dunn just fell apart, so it wasn't much of a match after that.

Good decider in the Maguire match, Un-Nooh almost throwing it away with that fairly simple miss when he just needed one more red. Maguire came so close to making a great clearance, but was unlucky to cannon the yellow onto the baulk cushion and leave it straight. He then performed a minor miracle to get out for the green, but once again left it too straight and missed the cut on the brown.

Robertson won fairly comfortably, although he could have easily been in trouble as well, because Jones had good chances to win all four frames before the interval. Robertson was clearly doing his best to get the centuries, taking a few risks to keep breaks going. He seemed a bit upset with himself on a couple of occasions, after he broke down. He could get punished against a better player...

Good win for Advani against Xiao as well, slightly surprising for me. He wasn't playing too well after he got to 4-2, but managed to play a strong decider, not really giving Xiao a chance. Probably Ding Junhui next for him, so it's going to be tough to advance further.

No real surprises in the other matches, although Hawkins only won 5-4 against Selt, after leading 4-0 at one point. He really is determined to play as many deciders as possible, isn't he? :smile:

Comment

So Robbo is 11 centuries away from a 'century of centuries'. Amazing.

Could he do it in this tournament?

Comment

I heard the commentators saying that Maflin and Steadman had been in a "fender-bender" in their taxi on the way to the arena, anyone any further info?

Comment

Originally Posted by scottley View Post
            Is there a half a second time delay or is it me? For instance you see the tip hit the white ball and the sound is half a second behind.
            Yes, I'm getting this on Sky.

It's watching these Asian hosted tournaments that further fuels my belief that - despite what the media and BH will tell you - snooker is more of a passing fad over there than anything else. Sure, the players get the movie star welcomes, but this is just the nature of the Chinese.

You look at the near and full capacity crowds that attend all week for the UK and many European tournaments, and then you look at the 'one man and his dog' at the Chinese events and you can't help but wonder where all this talk about how big the sport is over there comes from.
            Last edited by Billy; 10 March 2014, 07:35 PM.
            "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

the World Open has always had attendance "issues" especially at the start of the week.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                the World Open has always had attendance "issues" especially at the start of the week.
                Maybe so, but I'm suggesting those 'issues' stem from a lack of genuine interest.
                "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

also the location is not ideal and I believe the cost of tickets is prohibitive for most of the populace
                  I don't think a lack of interest that is the main issue

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                    So Robbo is 11 centuries away from a 'century of centuries'. Amazing.

Could he do it in this tournament?
                    Unlikely, you rarely see someone make 10+ centuries in a tournament other than the World Championship. Nonetheless, I think he will make it before the World Championship.

Comment

Robertson is certainly close at 89 however I hope he doesnt allow
                      that to ruin his winning ways. 100 would be fantastic however
                      winning tournaments is what he needs I believe.

I watched a bit of the match with Higgins and the lack of fans must
                      be difficult on the players. If snooker is exploding over there then
                      why the heck cant they reduce the prices some if that is one of the
                      reasons for such poor turnout?

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
                        Unlikely, you rarely see someone make 10+ centuries in a tournament other than the World Championship. Nonetheless, I think he will make it before the World Championship.
                        If I don´t remember wrong Mark Allen actually made 11 in the tournament last year, but it has to be close to a record for a best of 9 tournament.
                        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by Rane View Post
                          If I don´t remember wrong Mark Allen actually made 11 in the tournament last year, but it has to be close to a record for a best of 9 tournament.
                          Actually he did the 11 centuries back in 2012; only got two last year (which I think is even more amazing as he went onto to winning).
                          Not sure about any record for a 9-frame match, etc.

Comment

see http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/cent...hp?playerTourn
                            if you take out the Leagues and World Championship, then the UK with Hendry and ROS are the only entries before Allen's 11 so quite an achievement I think

Comment

World Open 2014 - Discussion

just catching up with the Sky+ records and Murphy is looking good
                              2 frames in 20 minutes

Comment

So Jimmy White and Steve Davis both out. Are they both going to remain on the tour next year?

Comment

Working...
                                X