World Champs Draw Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Champs Draw Question...

I'd like to know how the order of the initial 16 is determined before the actual draw, who goes where in which half.

Thanks

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

The seeding system (out of my head, but I think it's right):

Comment

the seeding is based on the top ranking 16 plus the current holder if outside top 16 then ranking #16 is dropped.
      The draw is based on a standard knockout sequence where #1 and #2 should end up playing at the final, and the others between fit into the sequence.
      see the below image (courtesy of thelongbomber ) with the seeding alongside.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes that's right. The trick is, in the last 16, to make the seedings always add up to 17 for each match (1v16, 2v15 etc)

Then if they all win, the seedings in the last 8 all add up to 9 (1v8, 2v7 etc)

In the semis they will add up to 5 (1v4, 2v3)

If required, this system can be extended backwards to work however many rounds there are (e.g. if you had 256 players all seeded, the first round would be 1v256, 2v255, 3v254 etc - positioned always with 1 at the top, 2 at the bottom, 3 at the top of the bottom half, 4 at the bottom of the top half, 5 at the top of the second quarter, 6 at the bottom of the third quarter, 7 at the top of the fourth quarter, 8 at the bottom of the first quarter - etc etc.)

Comment

OK. Thanks guys.

-
          The fast and the furious,
          The slow and labourious,
          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

I know how it works but never thought that it can be explained in such a simple and meaningful way. Thanks Statman
            Last edited by GeorgeNg; 25 April 2014, 04:36 AM.
            Snooker will rise once again

Comment

Working...
            X