No announcement yet.

Paul HUnter Classic (ET2) August 20-24, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am just watching this. Listening to joe Johnson gibbering almost relentlessly. A match between White and Hendry from the Langs in the early 80s has just been put on YouTube. Ted Lowe, two, three and four minute silences, letting the game speak for itself.

Bliss.

Comment

joe tends to rattle on a bit. mike hallet is a bit better, but neil foulds trumps them both

Comment

I like all the commentators you mention.
        Enjoying the match though
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Big call from the ref in the Selby v Murphy match. Murphy snookered himself after potting a red and left himself in a very difficult situation with the reds scattered.
          Made two unsuccessful attempts to hit the yellow before the ref (unknown to me) said that he could hit the blue full ball.

Neither Murphy or Selby felt the call was correct but the ref was adamant he could see it and warned him he'd lose the frame if he failed to hit a colour. Murphy chose the black but it was the only colour he could hit easily but in hitting it he was going to leave a red on.

Having seen a still shot it seems the call was incorrect and you would have to question in situations like this when both players believe he is wrong that his call stands. Refs are not infallable in any sport and I think its only fair that if the players involved believe him to be wrong then he should accept that and play in the spirit of the game. Most players are honest and in situations like this a bad call could cost a player the match and I don't think a ref should have such an impact on the outcome.
          Last edited by cueman; 23 August 2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

two world champs say no, one ref says yes answer on a postcard

Comment

from the camera shot looked very tight but possible as the ref showed with the two reds, they were not in line to the outer edge so there was more than a ball's width gap.
              But I think the cue ball was not in the "exact" place it was before

Comment

yes but he made that call after two shots

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                  yes but he made that call after two shots
                  true
                  it was only after Murphy questioned the call

Comment

agreed but he played the first two shots thinking he could play ad infinitum

Comment

yep : so goes on the F&M dicussion
                      maybe the ref should say what he thinks is a full contact ball the first time he thinks it applies?
                      Subject for another thread
                      I think that won't happen as it will be construde as coaching or the ref telling the player what ball to play and there are rules on what refs can and can't say to players
                      Last edited by DeanH; 23 August 2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

deciding frame

Comment

Dean, see the thread (if indeed the cueball was misplaced) pertaining to replacing balls.

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          from the camera shot looked very tight but possible as the ref showed with the two reds, they were not in line to the outer edge so there was more than a ball's width gap.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
                            Dean, see the thread (if indeed the cueball was misplaced) pertaining to replacing balls.

Mike , exactly

Comment

yep : so goes on the F&M dicussion
                              maybe the ref should say what he thinks is a full contact ball the first time he thinks it applies?
                              Subject for another thread
                              I think that won't happen as it will be construde as coaching or the ref telling the player what ball to play and there are rules on what refs can and can't say to players
                              first of all, I thought the situation was handled well by both Murphy and Selby and also the referee - full marks to all three of them in my opinion ...

I agree with you that I don't think the ref can't volunteer the information but my question is, can a player ask the referee whether a full ball contact is available before he/she chooses their first or second shot? I'm not 100% sure but I would think that is OK and the referee can do any tests he/she wants and reply ...

Comment

can anyone believe that Rod Lawler and James Cahill are still playing 2:20 am GMT 3:20 German time. i thought that matches that take long are suspended to the following session or day.

I have watched Rod Lawler a few times and he is one of or thee slowest player i have seen.
                                i can't see many spectators staying up to watch this match

Comment

Working...
                                X