No announcement yet.

Players Championship (PC Finals) Bangkok Thailand Mar 24-28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delighted for Joe, a great fightback and there isn't a player who deserves a ranking title more given what he has done for the game. MJW very gracious in defeat. Class all round.

Comment

Very pleased for Joe, it's nice to see him finally win a big one and it clearly means a lot to him.
      I'm sure he'd win more if he had just a little more self belief, so maybe this little comeback and
      resulting win will help in that department.

As an aside, I bet he's rubbish at poker.

-
      The fast and the furious,
      The slow and labourious,
      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Well done to Joe Perry for the biggest win of his career.

It would have been nice for Williams to get some sort of reward for his good form in recent times, but there can only be one winner. I was afraid this defeat would set him back again, because some of his previous recent finals have seen him lose from in front as well, but it looks like he is happy to pretend he didn't get any real chances to win the match. I saw quite a few, but I guess he would know better. :smile:

I'm not a fan of this tournament, as you probably know. I think a 100k prize for what is essentially a best-of-7 event distorts the rankings too much, when winners of "grander" tournaments, such as the Shanghai Masters for example, only get 85k, or sometimes even less.

Looking forward to some more enjoyable snooker in Beijing. :smile:

Comment

The prize money is great for the players but I
          agree it does distort the rankings too much.

Thankfully the China Open is best of 9 and there
          will be 2 TV tables.

Comment

I've not seen the match yet but very pleased for Joe.

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
              Very pleased for Joe, it's nice to see him finally win a big one and it clearly means a lot to him.
              I'm sure he'd win more if he had just a little more self belief, so maybe this little comeback and
              resulting win will help in that department.

As an aside, I bet he's rubbish at poker.

-
              Haven't seen much of this tourney, but very pleased for Joe! It's been a long time coming...congrats :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post

It would have been nice for Williams to get some sort of reward for his good form in recent times, but there can only be one winner. I was afraid this defeat would set him back again, because some of his previous recent finals have seen him lose from in front as well, but it looks like he is happy to pretend he didn't get any real chances to win the match. I saw quite a few, but I guess he would know better. :smile:
                I don't think this loss would affect him much. What I'm slightly worried about is that now that he's very likely to qualify for the World Championship, he might be less hungry for success.

I might add that I don't think his disappointing runner-up finishes a few seasons back caused his form to dip from between 2011-2014. I think it was the fact that he wasn't getting any younger and that he experienced sudden drop in results after 2003, made him a bit too desperate perhaps. Judging from his recent interviews I think he's more robust now.

I'm not a fan of this tournament, as you probably know. I think a 100k prize for what is essentially a best-of-7 event distorts the rankings too much, when winners of "grander" tournaments, such as the Shanghai Masters for example, only get 85k, or sometimes even less.

Yep I agree. I also thought the crowd was too quiet. They may as well be cardboard cutouts.
                Last edited by Dr_Doctor; 28 March 2015, 10:39 PM.

Comment

I read that Williams has made some positive changes
                  in his life much like Murphy so it seems to be paying
                  off like it has for Murphy.
                  Brecel and White have also made changes and it
                  shows in their game as well.
                  Its too bad more players havent made changes in
                  themselves to improve their games.
                  There is an old saying 'If nothing changes nothing
                  changes'.

Comment

I wonder if Joe has stopped smiling yet :biggrin:

I eventually got to watch the end of the final last night, I stopped watching when MJW went 3-0, then came back to watch a great comeback by Joe Perry. SO pleased for him, can he keep the momentum going into the next two events?
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Pretty much spot on Odrl! Don't like the prize money on this one either....Almost a third of what the Crucible winner takes home. Way too much IMO and yes, it distorts the rankings.
                      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Whatever the level of prize money, I don't think the different between winner and runner-up (at all levels) should not be more than 50% - for example Perry got £100k, MYW for £38K, too big a gap for me. Personally I would like to see something like 60/40 across all levels.
                        If I recall the reason for the big carrot for the final was to get players to play in the events across the year as much as possible to gain the Order of Merit to get to have a go at the big carrot

The commentators kept on saying that this was a Major ranking event, surely it is not, still only a Minor ranking event purely because of the BO7 format?

BO7 is not my fav format but it can be exciting but then so can BO9.
                        I understand the reasons for BO7 (rate of matches at a venue with 128 to get through, etc) but I am sure players would not mind BO9 with no MSI?
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          The commentators kept on saying that this was a Major ranking event, surely it is not, still only a Minor ranking event purely because of the BO7 format?
                          Well, it certainly awards major ranking points and is thus one of the more important tournaments to win, but I agree with you. All the commentators and various bloggers have decided to use this classification now, referring to the PTC Finals as a "full ranking event", while the standard PTCs are just PTCs, and it really winds me up because of how nonsensical it is.

I didn't want to mention it too much, because it would sound like I begrudge Perry this success, but this achievement isn't really on par with winning a standard ranking event. In my opinion anyway. :wink:

Comment

Working...
                          X