Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibraltar Open 2017

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I think Nigel Bond probably just had time for a cuppa and then straight back on the table to play Alfie Burden; after the long match against Igor Figueiredo
    Up the TSF!

    Comment


    • #32
      about time Murphy....

      nice speech, Shaun recalled the times Bond used to help him and practice with him at the start of his career. Trump's manager handed him the trophy as a representative of the sponsor

      Comment


      • #33
        Congratulations to Shaun Murphy. Though I don't think a ranking title should be given with a tournament where the final is just played in Best-of-7.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by JimMalone View Post
          Congratulations to Shaun Murphy. Though I don't think a ranking title should be given with a tournament where the final is just played in Best-of-7.
          Ar least it's better than last weekends 10 minute frame final ehh

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by JimMalone View Post
            Congratulations to Shaun Murphy. Though I don't think a ranking title should be given with a tournament where the final is just played in Best-of-7.
            I seen Mark Selby say once that best of 7's were harder because there's less time to make a comeback.

            It isn't easy to win a frame against any good player,or 4 matches and 16 frames in a day.

            Just because a best of 17 or 19 might have went to a final frame decider it doesn't mean it was a ding - dong quality fest where the winner really achieved more other than bagging bigger prize money.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Still ,as an amateur what a great run.
              Cheers for the support guys! Craigie played brilliantly against me, barely missed, he had two 50+ breaks, a 60 and a 136 total clearance in frame 2. I managed to create myself a couple of chances in frames 3 and 4 but unfortunately I couldn't quite get going, missed a shot with the rest when I had 4th frame at my mercy. Still gained some valuable experience and I'm now even more determined to improve my game!

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by JimMalone View Post
                Congratulations to Shaun Murphy. Though I don't think a ranking title should be given with a tournament where the final is just played in Best-of-7.
                It is thousands times better than a best of 1 with a shot clock and time limit, but it clearly not the test of endurance of the longer tournaments. Having so many matches each day would make it hard work.

                What do you think the minimum should be?

                Comment


                • #38
                  I struggle to drive down the road for a frame so must be frustrating to have to fly for so few if you lose!
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by trains View Post
                    I seen Mark Selby say once that best of 7's were harder because there's less time to make a comeback.

                    It isn't easy to win a frame against any good player,or 4 matches and 16 frames in a day.

                    Just because a best of 17 or 19 might have went to a final frame decider it doesn't mean it was a ding - dong quality fest where the winner really achieved more other than bagging bigger prize money.
                    I don't doubt it's hard and it's less about the quality. But in a longer match there is the bigger chance that the better player wins. Which also shows the converse argument, that it's easier for a "weaker" player to win 4 frames against one of the top-players as 7 or 8. So Selby is absolutely right.

                    But also with Murphy and Trump we had two of the best players of the game in the final. So that shows that quality most of the time comes through.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Dark View Post
                      It is thousands times better than a best of 1 with a shot clock and time limit, but it clearly not the test of endurance of the longer tournaments. Having so many matches each day would make it hard work.

                      What do you think the minimum should be?
                      Oh, it's definitely better than the shot-clock-event. But I like longer matches more, because it still demands more of a player and it's less likely that luck influences the match and of course it often has a real arc of suspense.
                      I don't know, but I think you probably should have at least to have to win 7 frames (best-of-13) to win a final of a ranking event.
                      You don't need to make it all the same, cause not every ranking title is worth the same and I'm fine with a few Best-of-7-Events, but when you just look to compare ranking titles it's difficult sometimes, because a win at the Gibraltar Open counts the same in that regard as a win at the International Championship.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Eurosport annoyed me with this. They seemed to constantly start matches two or three frames in.

                        I could live with that though, as they were trying to accommodate live sport elsewhere, and sometimes snooker overruns meaning coverage of other sports is delayed. But the final between Murphy and Trump was delayed because Eurosport wanted to play music over Tour De France highlights, for some reason.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X