No announcement yet.

2017 China Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was a wonderful match, one of the best semi-finals we've had all season. Wilson proved once again that he was a big occasion player, standing up to Selby from 3-1 down and putting him under pressure. If he continues to play like this on the big stage, he could be one of the major players next season, or perhaps even at the Crucible this year. His only problem today was that he was up against the best player in the world, who stood up to the pressure like he almost always does and played very well himself.

Selby obviously has to start favourite tomorrow, but Williams seems to enjoy playing him, so it should be a great final. :smile:

Comment

• Good win for Williams indeed. He wasn't in any danger at all and his potting was sublime for the most part.

One big point about Selby today was once again how he found a way to win without playing his best. His break-building isn't fully there right now. And this could hinder him today and even moreso at the crucible.

It's great to see Williams back in a final after all those years. He was in the Players Championship Grand Final two years ago. But that was just a Best-of-7-final - which he lost 3-4 to Perry. You have to go back until the 2011 Shanghai Masters, more than five years ago, to find another final in the Welshmans resume. His opponent there was Mark Selby and he lost 9-10. On a positive not it was also Selby whom Williams beat to get his last ranking title so far. A final that happened in 2011 as well, when Williams won 9-7 at the German Masters.
      Of course there is much more at stake for Williams tomorrow. A win would bring him to #15 in the world, giving him a spot in the crucible. On an amusing sidenote this would mean that Selby could play McGill instead of Day in the 2nd round of the World Championship (which is of course hypothetical, because both would have to win their first round matches first and I doubt that for one second Selby thinks of whom he would face in the 2nd round at the Crucible right now).

As for Selby he could win his 11th ranking title tomorrow. One that could come with a bad omen though. The winner of the last ranking tournament before the World Championship usually doesn't have much success at the latter one. The last player to win the both last ranking titles in a season was John Higgins all the way back in 1998. Could this be in Selbys mind tomorrow? I doubt it as well.

Another fact: With a win the 33-year-old would secure the #1 spot at end of the season for the sixth time in a row.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
        As for Selby he could win his 11th ranking title tomorrow. One that could come with a bad omen though. The winner of the last ranking tournament before the World Championship usually doesn't have much success at the latter one. The last player to win the both last ranking titles in a season was John Higgins all the way back in 1998. Could this be in Selbys mind tomorrow? I doubt it as well.
        It's a fun statistic to point out whenever we come to the World Championship, but in fairness, you could say exactly the same for any other tournament. How many times has anyone won back-to-back events in the last decade or so? Only a few times, and it's always big news when it happens. It would be pointless for players to obsess about how winning a tournament makes it unlikely for them to win the following one as well. They should only worry about the tournament they're playing in right now. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
          It's a fun statistic to point out whenever we come to the World Championship, but in fairness, you could say exactly the same for any other tournament. How many times has anyone won back-to-back events in the last decade or so? Only a few times, and it's always big news when it happens. It would be pointless for players to obsess about how winning a tournament makes it unlikely for them to win the following one as well. They should only worry about the tournament they're playing in right now. :smile:
          Well back-to-back wins happen a bit more often. Which is logical, cause you have several chances to do so every year - the last to achieve this was Ding in 2013 by the way - while there is only one World Championship every season.
          And of course the World Championship is far more important than everything else.
          But it would definitely be stupid to think about this for a player and as I said this won't be on Selbys mind tomorrow. If anything this statistic will be on the back of a players mind, when he plays at the Crucible.

Comment

• Would love to see Williams take this title. But Selby is such a tough draw and literally impossible to crack.

Comment

• God, Selby in a final. I think i'd rather be forced to watch a 12 hour loop of Japanese Hentai than watch that guy play.

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
                God, Selby in a final. I think i'd rather be forced to watch a 12 hour loop of Japanese Hentai than watch that guy play.
                I'd rather try dentistry like in the film "old boy" with a claw hammer than watch that.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Well, I for one am very much looking forward to this final. The 2011 German Masters between these two was one of the most enjoyable finals I've ever watched, it was a very tactical game, but high quality at the same time. The Shanghai Masters final later that year was great as well, going all the way to a decider, but it ended on a somewhat low note with Williams losing his mind a little, then criticizing the referee Eirian Williams after the match in a very ungentlemanly way. Selby and Williams also met in the Masters this year, and that too ended on a low note for Williams, getting a kick when he had a great scoring chance in the decider.

As I said earlier, Williams seems to enjoy playing Selby and has a pretty good record against him. I think he will get close tomorrow, but realistically Selby is the stronger player, so I will go for Selby to win 10-8. :smile:

Comment

• I really don't understand the Selby haters. He is an amazing snooker player who works extremely hard and has bottle and determination in abundance. He has made the absolute most of the cards he has been dealt and how many of us can honestly say that?

Comment

• Originally Posted by sixofclubs View Post
                      I really don't understand the Selby haters. He is an amazing snooker player who works extremely hard and has bottle and determination in abundance. He has made the absolute most of the cards he has been dealt and how many of us can honestly say that?
                      I doubt anyone would dispute that, it's just for the most part he's incredibly boring to watch. From the Mr roboto cue action to the way he makes frames scrappy if they're not going his way. He also has been in more games involving re racks as a direct result of how he plays than any other player that I've watched. I just don't find him to be a player I enjoy watching due to the reasons stated.

Comment

• Originally Posted by sixofclubs View Post
                        I really don't understand the Selby haters. He is an amazing snooker player who works extremely hard and has bottle and determination in abundance. He has made the absolute most of the cards he has been dealt and how many of us can honestly say that?
                        He also has great hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
                          I doubt anyone would dispute that, it's just for the most part he's incredibly boring to watch. From the Mr roboto cue action to the way he makes frames scrappy if they're not going his way. He also has been in more games involving re racks as a direct result of how he plays than any other player that I've watched. I just don't find him to be a player I enjoy watching due to the reasons stated.
                          Well, I for myself enjoy watching him tremendously. He has everything. Can make breaks as good as anyone, is a great potter, fantastic safety game, high intelligence in the game (I wish more players would go for the right shot and not always play as offensive). Selby is the most complete player during the last years.

Today I'd really like if Williams could add one more title to his resume. But as Odrl said, he is playing the best player in the world and Selby, who leads 2-1 (nearly 3-1) at the moment, is the favorite. 10-7 or 10-8 to Selby is my guess.

Comment

• What a bitter mistake to lose that sixth frame for Williams.

Comment

• Good final so far.

Comment

• What channel is the second session of the final on?

Comment

Working...
                                X