2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Trump refused to do mandatory press conference and will be disciplined for breach of contract!

I hope he's not trying to turn into some bad boy of snooker. I understand the frustration of losing first round but you have to show some class and respect.
    LOL what a tool, probably went into this thinking he'd have no probs then throws the head up when he gets beat.

Comment

• I can see McLeod getting to Maguire and beating him and Maguire beating himself up. Maguire needs to keep that focus throughout, not in spells. McLeod will certainly stay focused throughout with added confidence now that he's beaten the joint-favourite for the trophy.

Comment

• I want ding to win this thing so happy for any seed to be taken out early. Mcleod doing a job on trump just ups his chances!

Comment

• Interesting how a few of the players are saying that McLeod slow play earlier in the match was out of order and a shot clock is needed. I do think he was taking a lot longer than needed at times especially in the 2nd session. I just wish World Snooker would set the record straight and introduce a ruling about deliberate slowing of the game. It seems no referee has the knowledge or rules to make a decision and we don't want shot clocks but it does need sorting out.

As Joe Perry said, it was like how football became better when the pass back rule was introduced and allowed the game to flow. Having a player dictate the speed of a match taking long time over shots really shouldn't be allowed.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
            Hawkins second best attribute is his demeanour, against Mags that may be enough. ( first best is his cue action, sweet)
            I thought Hawkins played Higgins? If not yes he has to be in with a shout as well, fifty fifty between those three
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rocket147 View Post
              I can see McLeod getting to Maguire and beating him and Maguire beating himself up. Maguire needs to keep that focus throughout, not in spells. McLeod will certainly stay focused throughout with added confidence now that he's beaten the joint-favourite for the trophy.
              Tom Ford just lost 7 frames while shaking his head in disbelief. "Belief" is everything in snooker, especially at the Crucible. The Mecca of snooker! ; )
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by sdowney28 View Post
                Can't accept that the injury was so decisive. As Foulds was saying, people are injured in sports all the time and can still perform at a decent level. Trump is mentally weak at the Crucible, it's as simple as that. Not a cat in hell's chance someone like Ronnie loses to a guy like McLeod, injury or no injury.
                I have seen Ronnie lose to a lot worse with no injuries, he's gone out in umpteen qualifying events.

Comment

Interesting how a few of the players are saying that McLeod slow play earlier in the match was out of order and a shot clock is needed. I do think he was taking a lot longer than needed at times especially in the 2nd session. I just wish World Snooker would set the record straight and introduce a ruling about deliberate slowing of the game. It seems no referee has the knowledge or rules to make a decision and we don't want shot clocks but it does need sorting out.

As Joe Perry said, it was like how football became better when the pass back rule was introduced and allowed the game to flow. Having a player dictate the speed of a match taking long time over shots really shouldn't be allowed.
                  So do you think a shot clock would be a good idea? I think it could be introduced in other ranking events, but for the World Championship? I'm against it. What about key moments in a world final where you need that extra bit of time but you're watching the clock instead of concentrating on the shot at hand, but you're forced to play the shot and it costs you the title. In most matches actually. I just don't like it. I'm just old school.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rocket147 View Post
                    So do you think a shot clock would be a good idea? I think it could be introduced in other ranking events, but for the World Championship? I'm against it. What about key moments in a world final where you need that extra bit of time but you're watching the clock instead of concentrating on the shot at hand, but you're forced to play the shot and it costs you the title. In most matches actually. I just don't like it. I'm just old school.
                    Never want to see a shot clock at the worlds. It's a contest on many levels of skill, patience is key here, it's a long haul test of the best temprment and skill combined.

In short majorly agree.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Name me one player he's lost to at the Crucible who was worse than McLeod? The longer format gives little excuses in terms of losses like that.

Comment

Interesting how a few of the players are saying that McLeod slow play earlier in the match was out of order and a shot clock is needed. I do think he was taking a lot longer than needed at times especially in the 2nd session. I just wish World Snooker would set the record straight and introduce a ruling about deliberate slowing of the game. It seems no referee has the knowledge or rules to make a decision and we don't want shot clocks but it does need sorting out.

The ref has the power now to do something about it. Your not telling me a pro can't see ninety nine percent of shots near enough straight away, I dont mind a bit of thinking time when it's an obvious tough shot but some are obviously using it as gamesmanship. We dont need shot clocks , just warn them ,put them on the clock like golf where you're watched, warn them again then dock a frame. I don't see how a shot clock works with multiple tables, imagine being on a crucial shot and the next tables clock starts buzzing or whatever will happen.
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 19 April 2017, 10:31 PM. Reason: Your and you're shocker!

Comment

• Originally Posted by sdowney28 View Post
                          Name me one player he's lost to at the Crucible who was worse than McLeod? The longer format gives little excuses in terms of losses like that.
                          I honestly don't know, I'm not that up on Ronnie and his past opponents but I doubt there will be one as poor as McLeod, but I don't t know the extent of Trumps injury, if it's his shoulder he may have done well just to complete the match, I've no idea and to be fair unless you have insider knowledge neither do you.

Comment

• Deliberate slow play to unsettle the other guy - yeah that is wrong not in favour of a shot clock but the refs should use their discretion ...

Mind you might be just natural for him at times - as a watcher its like watching paint dry fergal or this fella - Slate Trump all you want but if everyone played like this there would be no game - no-one would pay to watch. Maguire will stomp all over him and I hope he does if anyone deserves a world title it is Maguire - maybe it is his year?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              Deliberate slow play to unsettle the other guy - yeah that is wrong not in favour of a shot clock but the refs should use their discretion ...

Mind you might be just natural for him at times - as a watcher its like watching paint dry fergal or this fella - Slate Trump all you want but if everyone played like this there would be no game - no-one would pay to watch. Maguire will stomp all over him and I hope he does if anyone deserves a world title it is Maguire - maybe it is his year?
                              I've never really understood that though. Maguire deserves a world title? You deserve it If you can go out and prove it by winning it. Maguire is a very good player and is capable of winning the whole thing, but I don't think he ever will due to his mentality. I could be proved wrong though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by thevenue2 View Post
                                Is that actually true (that a Muslim won't shake hands with a woman)? I never knew.
                                It varies on the individual and the circumstance (Hazel being a case in point!). I've lived and worked in three Middle Eastern countries and if you are introduced to a local woman you don't offer her your hand to shake unless she offers hers first - then shake away. But then you meet muslim women from Lebanon who are ostensibly muslim but have long hair, dress like strippers at the weekend, very touchy-feely. It's like most religions in that it's open to individual interpretation. RM might have looked a bit silly if he had rebuffed Hazel's hand, but the female refs obviously all know now.

Comment

Working...
                                X