2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    I'm the creator, and yes it's my subjective opinion.

You make some very valid points. I'd be interested in how you'd assign the points. I'd run them through the formula to see how the list is different than mine. Having said that, I think you really underestimate how difficult it is to make a world final. Jimmy lost a couple of finals by the slimmest of margins. You can't be an all time great without a world title, but based on longevity and quantity of very good performances he deserves to be in the top 8-10.
    You could in fact make a totally objective valuation. But it would be a really huge task, and you need to make one important assumption; that every tournament counts equally.
    For each final you win, you get 0 points. For each semi-final you win, but don't win the final, you get 1 point. For each quater-final you win, but don't win the semi-final, you get 2 points. And so on. This means that the further you come in the tournament, the less amount of points you get. If you add all the points throughout the career and divide by the amounts of tournaments entered, you should find the "best" player. That is, the player with the lowest average.

EDIT: After writing this I found some problems with this method. First of all, what to do with round robins. Second, some tournaments have more rounds than others thus making it easier to get a small amount of points in some tournaments. But I'm sure you could find a solution to these problems somehow
    Last edited by Rail; 26 April 2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
      Looks like the 'hot' Maguire has turned up today
      Ronnie smiled on the other table when he heard the cue bang from Maguire.

Comment

• Ding has had a lot of run in this match little flicks off baulk colours forcing Ronnie into tough pots or safety shots. Reminds me a lot of Dings win over Trump last year too, he's becoming a very lucky player.

Comment

• Cmon Ding, remember balls don't hit back

Comment

• Ronnies played incredible amongst the balls but his safety was his down fall this match

Comment

• Ding so unlucky, going to be tough for Ding now to get over the line

Hendry's commentary has been a bit biased, as if he wants to see Ding implode

Comment

• Originally Posted by peterpackage View Post
                Ding so unlucky, going to be tough for Ding now to get over the line
                unlucky, have you really been watching this match! He was lucky to flick off and leave Ronnie nearly snookered on the brown which left Ronnie a really tough safety which let Ding in this frame. Ding had tons of run this match, he can't expect sitters everytime you go into the pack!

Comment

• Ding would have cleared up 95 times out of a 100 there

Comment

• Oh Ding another flick off the green behind the brown, did it last frame as well. But yeah, he's unlucky!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                      unlucky, have you really been watching this match! He was lucky to flick off and leave Ronnie nearly snookered on the brown which left Ronnie a really tough safety which let Ding in this frame. Ding had tons of run this match, he can't expect sitters everytime you go into the pack!
                      Luck evens itself out over this amount of frames. O'Sullivan's had his fair share.
                      Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

• Wow...again Ding is very lucky....this is it now. Ronnie is out.
                        "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

• Originally Posted by richiet View Post
                          Luck evens itself out over this amount of frames. O'Sullivan's had his fair share.
                          It really doesn't! People like to think it does but I watch all matches closely and you always see one player get more run than another and quite often its them that wins at this level.

Comment

• Well done Ding!

Comment

• Well done to Ding, beat Ronnie fair and square :-(

Hope he goes on to win it, such a nice guy.

Comment

• Super lucky from ding, hes had those flicks behind bulk colors at least 4 times throughout the match and all were very costly for Ronnie. That being said he played very well and punished Ronnie for the mistakes he did make.

Comment

Working...
                                X