No announcement yet.

2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a pleasure to see how methodical and clinical Selby builds his breaks. He was lucky that Ding didn't make more out of his chance, but that 128 wasn't too bad.

Comment

• Some players on the receiving end of that would feed positively off all the cheering and whistling, but I fear not so for Ding. It's likely to demoralize him.
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• That pot on the blue was something else.
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
          so give us a breakdown of the average bunch now
          Its a very weak top 16 right now for various reasons. Player that haven't lived up to expectations, inconsistent players, players that don't appear mentally that strong etc etc.

Comment

• Originally Posted by richo View Post
            The frustration is that Selby isn't a great, he is just the best of a very average bunch right now who plays very good percentages snooker. We need somebody else to emerge urgently.
            That break was pretty good...I kind of feel Selby is a bit better than average :-)

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
              That break was pretty good...I kind of feel Selby is a bit better than average :-)
              I didn't say he was average, he is very good and mentally very strong, it's the rest that are inconsistent and average.

Comment

• The snooker god's are looking down on Selby. So much luck and run tonight.

Comment

I didn't say he was average, he is very good and mentally very strong, it's the rest that are inconsistent and average.
                  hmmm...

he is just the best of a very average bunch right now who plays very good percentages snooker
                  Thats implying he's pretty average, which is a bit unfair.

I get what you're saying in that his matches aren't always the most exciting, but he's clinical when he needs to be and has played some extraordinarily good shots this WC.

If he retires as a 4/5 times World Champ I don't think I'd be surprised.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
                    hmmm...

Thats implying he's pretty average, which is a bit unfair.

I get what you're saying in that his matches aren't always the most exciting, but he's clinical when he needs to be and has played some extraordinarily good shots this WC.

If he retires as a 4/5 times World Champ I don't think I'd be surprised.
                    Hendry in his prime would comfortably beat him in a long match format (in my opinion).

Comment

Hendry in his prime would comfortably beat him in a long match format (in my opinion).
                      I'm of the school of thought that Hendry was the greatest ever, so no disagreement there!

Comment

Its a very weak top 16 right now for various reasons. Player that haven't lived up to expectations, inconsistent players, players that don't appear mentally that strong etc etc.
                        Steve Davies a few days ago said he would be terrified to play with the players today, because there are so many who are good .

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                          Steve Davies a few days ago said he would be terrified to play with the players today, because there are so many who are good .
                          He's being polite. He had White, Higgins and Hendry to contend with. Selby is a great player, but he'll never be remembered as a great. He's in the Mark Williams bracket, just shy of the very, very best.

Comment

I think Hendry was the greatest player ever, but it wouldn't have been easy for him. Selbys tactical game would have been a challenge for him.
                            Always tough (if not impossible) to judge different eras though.

Nice answer by Ding by the way.

Comment

• Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
                              He's being polite. He had White, Higgins and Hendry to contend with. Selby is a great player, but he'll never be remembered as a great. He's in the Mark Williams bracket, just shy of the very, very best.
                              I'm pretty sure Selby will be remembered as one of the greats.

Comment

• Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
                                He's being polite. He had White, Higgins and Hendry to contend with.
                                Agreed, Davis set the trend, he is unarguably a great, a born winner and although it may not seem it now, was actually fairly attacking for the time, he was just able to back it up with good safety (and also people remember the likes of Higgins and White who played a very different style of game)!

Selby is a great player, but he'll never be remembered as a great. He's in the Mark Williams bracket, just shy of the very, very best.
                                I always thought that, but this year has made me wonder if he's a notch better than that.

John Higgins has 4 World titles, Ronnie has 5. If Selby wins this time he'd be on 3 and would have plenty of time to win another 1 or 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X