No announcement yet.

2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well never expected Ding to miss that blue, maybe he will never make it ? that was probably his best chance as Higgins doesn't appear to be scoring highly at all, so could of steamrollered him

Comment

• Well, what can you say...

The semi-finals at the Crucible have provided us with some of the most memorable matches of the past decade, even more so than World finals, and this was one of the very best. The standard of safety play was tremendous throughout, rivalling that Selby-Higgins quarter-final in 2009. Ding competed all the way and never cracked under pressure, but ultimately he was just one or two misses short of Selby. It was clear to see that Selby was nervous during that last break, playing very slowly and tentatively, but in the end he held on and got over the line, as he usually does. Every credit to him. It should be a great final against Higgins. :smile:

Unfortunately our other semi-final has so far failed to entertain, and I can't really see that changing in the final session. You never know though. :smile:

Comment

• Feel for Ding. I really thought he was going to take it into a decider. His safety play was better than Selby's. Selby is a tough match player and scraps for every frame, he pinched a couple frames off Ding and this proved quite decisive. Ding proved through out this tournament that he has what it takes to win the WC. He came up short to a match player who handles the pressure best.

Comment

• Absolutely choked, gutted!

I couldn't watch the match (had it recording and kept fast forwarding through because I honestly couldn't stand the tension).

This result has depressed me severely!
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• What a great match that was! I am gutted for Ding, he completely outplayed Selby in the safety department. I'm quite sure he would have beaten anyone else. Hard luck, but well played Selby, hope he can win the whole thing now Should be a cracker against Higgins!

Comment

• I honestly feel slightly nauseous from this result. My guts are actually aching! What the hell is wrong with me!
              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Feel really sorry for Ding, he played a tremendous match. Selby and Ding are my favourite players, so I was neutral on the outcome, pity someone had to lose and worthy of the final itself. Now I hope Selby crushes Higgins with a session to spare or I will be feeling like Billy does now...

Comment

• What happens now for Ding? He's got Terry helping him out, he's beaten his idol Ronnie and got hugs of love encouragement. What's missing? I'm so unhappy now and will be rooting for Higgins, but I think Selby is gonna win this WC with a session to spare.
                  Last edited by ken147; 29 April 2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Great match!Selby is definitely way too good to have only 2 WC titles in his career.And Ding deserves at least one.Unless their game falls apart i believe they will both find way to score them,the one in next match probably

Comment

• Originally Posted by wake_up_bomb View Post
                      Ronnie is my favourite player and Ding is my second favourite player, but I'm always surprised that Selby seemingly gets slagged off so much. For me he is a masterful player. You never ever get an easy frame against him, he makes you fight for every ball, his safety is immaculate, he pots tough balls under pressure time and time again, he's knocked in 472 centuries, more than Trump, more than anyone apart from O' Sullivan, Hendry, Higgins and Robertson, he's world number 1 by absolutely miles in the rankings. He fully deserves to be where he is in the game.
                      +1 and well said...

Comment

• Now the 2017 World Championship also has a match, that deserves the title of a classic.
                        Two of the best players in the world giving each other a hard fight. Both delivered great breaks, but especially the safety battle was outstanding. Repeatedly they never gave each other the chance to pot a ball for what seemed like twenty minutes. Selby and Ding showed that they are top of the world in nearly every department of the game. In the end Selby was just that little bit better and made fewer mistakes. Congratulations for him to make the final.

It's sad that this match had to have a loser, because certainly none of the both players deserved this fate and I feel sad for Ding. He produced marvellous snooker in this tournament and I'm pretty convinced that he would have beaten every other player than Selby with his performance. After last years final I said that his run there made me confident that Ding would win the World Championship once. And this year's tournament (I actually picked him already before the start to become world champion this year) just made me believe this even more. He has grown mentally and never cracked under all the things that Selby threw at him. He has still many years left and I think he will finally lift this trophy.

Thanks to both players for gifting us this match.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                          +1 and well said...
                          Don't think its a case that people don't respect Selby. IMO, they just don't like him - there's a difference.
                          Very similar to how the public was towards Steve Davis back in the day. He was annoyingly brilliant too...
                          In time, once Selby has retired (or gone of the boil) you'll probably find that his likability factor goes up a few notches.
                          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                          National Snooker Expo
                          25-27 October 2019
                          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
                            What happens now for Ding? He's got Terry helping him out, he's beaten his idol Ronnie and got hugs of love encouragement. What's missing? I'm so unhappy now and will be rooting for Higgins, but I think Selby is gonna win this WC with a session to spare.
                            I think Ding is already at a level where nothing really is missing. At this point in time Selby is the only player I'd rate a tad higher than Ding. And with a bit luck and good form the 30-year-old surely also can beat him. Maybe sometimes Ding played a little bit to aggressive and then the mistakes will come. But then this is his game and it brought him to this astonishing level.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                              I think Ding is already at a level where nothing really is missing. At this point in time Selby is the only player I'd rate a tad higher than Ding. And with a bit luck and good form the 30-year-old surely also can beat him. Maybe sometimes Ding played a little bit to aggressive and then the mistakes will come. But then this is his game and it brought him to this astonishing level.
                              Selby also had long potting a bit more successful...Although statistics for other aspects were in ding's favor

Comment

• Higgins - Selby, then. This could be tasty.

Comment

Working...
                                X