No announcement yet.

2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is getting harder and harder to find a stream to watch Ronny. The one I had suddenly changed to motorbike racing, can`t find another one. I am not in the UK!

Comment

• Originally Posted by herbie View Post
      It is getting harder and harder to find a stream to watch Ronny. The one I had suddenly changed to motorbike racing, can`t find another one. I am not in the UK!
      Interval at the moment anyway.

Comment

• The way the crowd is being treated for any noise, really villified is why Snooker hasn't really grown in popularity in the last decade or so. I know i would find it hard to sit totally still for 4 hours, i'm too figity.

The football atmosphere doesn't work for Snooker either, the events where this type of behaviour is promoted like snooker shootout haven't been too successful, but there has to be a middle ground. For me, it should be like the tennis, you can cheer inbetween shots but when the player is down on the shot (similar to about to serve in tennis), then silence. I know this will be harder in a multiple table situation.

You look at the crowd, respectfully full of old fogeys, not much youth there at all.

You compare a night out at the Darts or the football or a boxing event in terms of being able to have some drinks, banter with the lads v sitting as quiet like a mouse like you were being punished at school and put in the corner, no wonder many people are choosing the former.

Luckily snooker is good to watch at home and you can drink and make as much noise as you want

Comment

It is getting harder and harder to find a stream to watch Ronny. The one I had suddenly changed to motorbike racing, can`t find another one. I am not in the UK!
          three letters mate, VPN !

Comment

Try filmon.com => UK live TV => BBC2

Comment

• Works! Thanks a lot!

VPN - well if I knew how to use it, how to install it or how to set it up!
              Last edited by herbie; 21 April 2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Works! Thanks a lot!
                You're welcome. When there is snooker only on BBC red button try http://tvcatchup.com/watch/bbcredbutton.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                  I don't think there's any great mystery to this - it's because, as others have said, he clearly sees himself as everyone's superior.
                  only at snooker! and dont you need that attitude?

Comment

• Even though there's a big score difference, I think Murphy still has a decent chance. ROS is only really getting in thanks to Murphy's misses as opposed to getting in himself (think it was 38% long pot?). If SM can build up some momentum then ROS isn't getting in unless he also raises his game.

Comment

• Originally Posted by peterpackage View Post
                      You compare a night out at the Darts or the football or a boxing event in terms of being able to have some drinks, banter with the lads v sitting as quiet like a mouse like you were being punished at school and put in the corner, no wonder many people are choosing the former.
                      But you've just admitted yourself that those atmospheres don't work for snooker. I wouldn't want it any other way. It's what makes snooker snooker, and if it's not for you ('you' in the general term) then there are other more boisterous sports to watch and attend.

It's a bit like a few years ago when they tried to make classical music 'fashionable' for the younger generation by introducing scantily clad girl bands playing Vivaldi on ridiculous looking electric violins. I mean why? Classical music is what it is and has appealed to certain people for generations. If people like it they will follow it, regardless of its ethos and reputation.
                      Last edited by Billy; 21 April 2017, 03:45 PM.
                      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• The Higgins/Allen table is a real kick factory.....unbelievable conditions. Doesn't stop Allen for bullying Higgins for the moment....potting everything.
                        Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

• Game on at 9-7, I'm still hoping for 10-6

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                            But you've just admitted yourself that those atmospheres don't work for snooker. I wouldn't want it any other way. It's what makes snooker snooker, and if it's not for you ('you' in the general term) then there are other more boisterous sports to watch and attend.

It's a bit like a few years ago when they tried to make classical music 'fashionable' for the younger generation by introducing scantily clad girl bands playing Vivaldi on ridiculous looking electric violins. I mean why? Classical music is what it is and has appealed to certain people for generations. If people like it they will follow it, regardless of its ethos and reputation.
                            I agree - they can't change what happens in the arena to attract younger viewers, it's more what happens outside of it. For eg they always show historical things, or more recently there's this hand writing segment - I don't think that's going to attract a younger generation (same with the dress code). If we're not careful snooker could struggle in the UK once the current generation of fans get older, and the influx of Asian players taking over. For instance, I read the popularity of table tennis has collapsed in Germany because most of the top players are now Chinese, hence the German public no longer have homegrown stars to watch and support.

I've gone on a bit of a tangent here though lol. On a related note, I think the ITV4 coverage appears to be much more youthful than the BBC which can feel a little outdated at times.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              Game on at 9-7, I'm still hoping for 10-6
                              That's what i'm hoping for

Comment

• Wow what a fluke for Murphy.

Comment

Working...
                                X