No announcement yet.

2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Higgins goes through and it is Selby vs Higgins I don't think Higgins will lose

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
      Well Ding has been here before with Selby so he knows what to expect.
      As we all know - form can change in sessions though.
      I don't think form has much to do with it. These frames are being deliberately played cagey, they are both trying to play each other at the same game, negative single ball safety shots, no aggressive open the balls up strategy. Ding needs to take a little more risk.

Comment

• Dear me how ding made a one visit frame winner with the balls in that position

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
          There's a lot more to the game than naughty snooker, thankfully.

-
          But on the other hand, if every game was like what we've witnessed so far this morning the game would die. There is a lot more to the game than playing negative safety shots too, who do you think puts more bums on seats and sells the game, Ronnie and Trump or McLeod and Selby!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Diesel3390 View Post
            If Higgins goes through and it is Selby vs Higgins I don't think Higgins will lose
            I do. Higgins stilll world class in the main but getting brittle.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
              But on the other hand, if every game was like what we've witnessed so far this morning the game would die. There is a lot more to the game than playing negative safety shots too, who do you think puts more bums on seats and sells the game, Ronnie and Trump or McLeod and Selby!!
              The crowd seem to be enjoying it, as am I. In every survey I have ever seen, tactical play comes out on top over quick fire one visit stuff. People love the drama of snooker, it's what makes it so special.

-
              The fast and the furious,
              The slow and labourious,
              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

The crowd seem to be enjoying it, as am I. In every survey I have ever seen, tactical play comes out on top over quick fire one visit stuff. People love the drama of snooker, it's what makes it so special.

-
                Can you point me to one of these surveys?

Comment

-
                  I'm not advocating no safety play and the drama of a tense match is great. However the problem I have is negative play which is what we are seeing this morning. Even the commentators have mentioned it and usually they never criticise Selby. Playing very thin off a red in order to not open the balls up is a XXXX game. Every player could play like that and its not a skill, its deliberate cagey snooker to stop the game from ever opening up. Good tactics and safety is opening up the balls, forcing your opponent into a pot and letting the actual skill of potting balls which is really what the game should be about. Safety and tactics have their place, but when its at the expense of balls being potted there really isn't much point.
                  Last edited by Neil Taperell; 28 April 2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
                    Can you point me to one of these surveys?
                    The bbc have done several over the years and they always turn out the same, roughly 75% in favour of tactical frames.

-
                    The slow and labourious,

Comment

The bbc have done several over the years and they always turn out the same, roughly 75% in favour of tactical frames.

-
                      Got a link to any of them? Even one?

Not that they're especially relevant given Cueman's comment above, which is close to perfection. A lot of what we've seen this morning is not 'tactical play'

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                        I'm not advocating no safety play and the drama of a tense match is great. However the problem I have is negative play which is what we are seeing this morning. Even the commentators have mentioned it and usually they never criticise Selby. Playing very thin off a red in order to not open the balls up is a XXXXX game. Every player could play like that and its not a skill, its deliberate cagey snooker to stop the game from ever opening up. Good tactics and safety is opening up the balls, forcing your opponent into a pot and letting the actual skill of potting balls which is really what the game should be about. Safety and tactics have their place, but when its at the expense of balls being potted there really isn't much point.
                        What you see as negative I see as tactical. You don't like it, I understand that, but your analysis is just projecting your own negativity onto the game. Trust me, from where I'm standing this is great fun and I am far from alone.

-
                        Last edited by Neil Taperell; 28 April 2017, 01:00 PM.
                        The slow and labourious,

Comment

Got a link to any of them? Even one?

Not that they're especially relevant given Cueman's comment above, which is close to perfection. A lot of what we've seen this morning is not 'tactical play'
                          A link? They were polls carried out by the BBC during various tournaments, so no links that I'm aware of.

-
                          The slow and labourious,

Comment

A link? They were polls carried out by the BBC during various tournaments, so no links that I'm aware of.

-
                            That you can't cite a single source tells a story.

Comment

That you can't cite a single source tells a story.
                              So does your misbelieving?

Comment

• That was no tactical play, it was negative play from Selby, just to rattle Ding. Cueman was absolutelly spot on with his comments. It is a big difference between tactic and negative.
                                Of course..if you are a big Selby fan you will do and say anything to defend his crap.
                                "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

Working...
                                X