No announcement yet.

Gibraltar Open 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bingham, Doherty, McGill, Kyren Wilson, Perry and Day are the only players left in the Round of last 16 that have already ranking titles under their belt. I think it's likely the winner will be among this six this time as well. But of course with Best-of-7 all the way through to the final anything is possible. And Lisowski or Cao are certainly contenders.

With Cao Yupeng, Jack Lisowski and Joe Perry there are also still three players who could knock out Graeme Dott of the last spot for the Players Championship if they win the title at Gibraltar.

Comment

I will allow myself a little 'cocorico' here but congratulations to young French player Brian Ochoiski for his good match against Aditya Metha. He lost 4-2 after having been 2-1 in front but he's a great talent and no doubt this is a great boat of experience for him. It is rare enough to see a French player playing at that level so I thought it was worth a mention
      He has made gigantic progress in the past 3 years and he's now knocking at the door of the pro ranks. He was a semi finalist of the European U21 recently, beating Jackson Page on the way. I play him regularly in my regional league and boy...you better be prepared if else, he's wiping the floor with your face in a second Great lad and great talent!
      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
        I will allow myself a little 'cocorico' here but congratulations to young French player Brian Ochoiski for his good match against Aditya Metha. He lost 4-2 after having been 2-1 in front but he's a great talent and no doubt this is a great boat of experience for him. It is rare enough to see a French player playing at that level so I thought it was worth a mention
        He has made gigantic progress in the past 3 years and he's now knocking at the door of the pro ranks. He was a semi finalist of the European U21 recently, beating Jackson Page on the way. I play him regularly in my regional league and boy...you better be prepared if else, he's wiping the floor with your face in a second Great lad and great talent!
        YES!
        I saw the name and nationality and thought "Oh a French person" great!
        And shame WS don't broadcast the other tables.
        Good on him, so he must have gone through a few rounds to get to this stage?
        Give him our best and hope to see his name in more soon

How old is he?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
          Good to hear. I was noticing his name (and origin) occasionally when I was looking up the results of the juniors tournaments.

It seems like the future could bring some more european countries onto the Main Tour. We already have Swiss Alexander Ursenbacher and German Lukas Kleckers. Germany also has Simon Lichtenberg (20 years), who recently won the European U21 Championship, beating Ochoiski narrowly 5-4 in the semifinal and Tyler Rees 6-3 in the final.

Here over in Austria there are high hopes for Florian Nüßle, who is just 16, but he made recently the final of the European U18, losing 3-5 to Jackson Page there.

But obviously those speculations are way early and the last steps to the Main Tour are the steepest ones.

Comment

Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
            Michael Annison @CueActionBlog
            4m
            Andy Hicks into the last 32 in Gibraltar. Similar situation to Cope now in that he should be secured for an EBSA play offs place next month.
            Any Idea which amateurs are in the EBSA play-offs next month. Also does anyone know which amateurs and top up players will playing in the qualifiers of the world championship, does any body have a link to the list.

snooker streaming also here https://sportstream365.com/other no commentary though just go to others then in the log in box scroll down and select English and in the search engine type in Gibraltar Open and the players names will come up
            Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr Snooker View Post
              Any Idea which amateurs are in the EBSA play-offs next month. Also does anyone know which amateurs and top up players will playing in the qualifiers of the world championship, does any body have a link to the list.

snooker streaming also here https://sportstream365.com/other no commentary though just go to others then in the log in box scroll down and select English and in the search engine type in Gibraltar Open and the players names will come up
              http://www.worldsnooker.com/rankings/
              you can see the EBSA order of merit - now I am not entirely sure how the playoffs work but last year it was the top 8 have the chance for 2 places (winner & runner-up)
              I think the top up is done by working down the list to those not already through via the playoffs or any other NGA event.
              Last edited by DeanH; 11 March 2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Burden vs Donaldson match has just finished, 4-3 to Donaldson; after being 3-0 down to win
                shame it was not on a tv table
                pity for Burden after quiet an impressive display in his previous matches yesterday; but a clear resurgence in Donaldson's game after a slump in recent months

Comment

Ryan Day beats Joe Perry seemingly easily with a unanswered potting of 150+ points.
                  Seems to have settled into his new cue of only 2 weeks

Comment

Kyren Wilson v Lee Walker
                    Walker 3-0 up, pots the last colours to draw 74-74; respot black...

after many safety shots, Walker pots the black 4-0
                    well done
                    Last edited by DeanH; 11 March 2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      Kyren Wilson v Lee Walker
                      Walker 3-0 up, pots the last colours to draw 74-74; respot black...

after many safety shots, Walker pots the black 4-0
                      well done
                      That was a good battle for the respotted back.

So we have Cao Yupeng vs. Lee Walker in the first semifinal.

Ryan Day is still awaiting his opponent as Donaldson leads Zhang 3-2 in the remaining quarterfinal.

Comment

Just looked at the non-TV match Bingham v Cao

63-75; 16-73(61); 6-100(98); 9-123(123)

Cao on fire

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                          That was a good battle for the respotted back.

So we have Cao Yupeng vs. Lee Walker in the first semifinal.

Ryan Day is still awaiting his opponent as Donaldson leads Zhang 3-2 in the remaining quarterfinal.
                          Donaldson just won 4-2

at least both matches will be on TV/Stream

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            Donaldson just won 4-2

at least both matches will be on TV/Stream
                            Cao and Day usually would be the favorites to go to the final, but over Best-of-7 it wouldn't be a surprise to see Walker and Donaldson battle it out for the title as well.

Comment

Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
                              ....I love watching Lisowski play, fast and furious!
                              and beaten 4 - 1 by a more measured player, in a match where he only managed a total tally of just 153 points.
                              Maybe he'd be more successful if he concentrated on concentration a little more, rather than speeding around the table like a headless F1 driver.

-
                              The fast and the furious,
                              The slow and labourious,
                              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Just looking at the semi-finalists and only Lee Walker can use this event to greatly affect their ranking and staying on tour next year.
                                With current accrued monies included he is 68; if he can be runner up he could be 66, and if he won he could be 59; so a big time for Walker
                                With China Open and WSC still to play, he could gain many points to make safe his tour place.

Donaldson is 60 (accrued monies) and could make his position more secured as well
                                Last edited by DeanH; 11 March 2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X