No announcement yet.

I think the "best-of-21 frame" final is a poisoned gift for the fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, I think it is the first time that I see a 20+ frame match outside WC since the UK final changed 31 to 19 frames...

Comment

I would only reduce the semi final and final of the worlds.
      1st round best of 17
      2nd round best of 17
      Q final best of 19
      Semis best of 21
      Final best of 25

Wouldn’t reduce it drastically just a bit I personally think the 1st to 13 is enough for the final.

Comment

If Ronnie does not like long matches then all he has to do is make more centuries and prevent his opponent winning a frame.

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
          1st round best of 17
          2nd round best of 17
          Q final best of 19
          Semis best of 21
          Final best of 25

Wouldn’t reduce it drastically just a bit I personally think the 1st to 13 is enough for the final.
          It is not logical; because the semis can be 2-3 or 4 sessions; but I think the final should be in one day (2 sessions - maximum best of 21) or two days (4 sessions - best of 33 or 35 as is now)

Comment

I thought before that it would have been a good idea to have all matches in the World Championship best of 19 but i think the 2 day format/best of 35 frames for the final works and it wouldn't be the same if this was changed.

Comment

It could be extended by a week and the qualifiers become preliminary rounds, televised by the BBC, red button etc. Plenty of matches of quality to watch there.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sitting Room Snooker View Post
                It could be extended by a week and the qualifiers become preliminary rounds, televised by the BBC, red button etc. Plenty of matches of quality to watch there.
                Quality, gets my vote
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

33-64 on Saturday-Tuesday then the 16 winners play 17-32 on Wednesday-Friday. Mike Dunn v Rod Lawler over 19 frames live on BBC! Millions will be glued.

Comment

Originally Posted by cesard View Post
                    It is not logical; because the semis can be 2-3 or 4 sessions; but I think the final should be in one day (2 sessions - maximum best of 21) or two days (4 sessions - best of 33 or 35 as is now)
                    Just have 2 sessions 10 and 11 frames

Comment

The World Championship is perfect in every sense. Leave it alone.

The UK Championship was once a great event. They tinkered with it, firstly by reducing the final from 31 frames (2 days) to 19 frames (1 day). They then went further by reducing all rounds leading up to the final best of 11 instead of best of 17. This has devalued it's status from being undoubtedly 2nd in importance after the World's to being "just another event". You can argue all you like that the UK is still regarded highly be the reality is, the title of UK Champion is worth no more now than a Grand Prix, German Open or indeed one of the Home Nations events.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post

The UK Championship was once a great event. They tinkered with it, firstly by reducing the final from 31 frames (2 days) to 19 frames (1 day). They then went further by reducing all rounds leading up to the final best of 11 instead of best of 17. This has devalued it's status from being undoubtedly 2nd in importance after the World's to being "just another event". You can argue all you like that the UK is still regarded highly be the reality is, the title of UK Champion is worth no more now than a Grand Prix, German Open or indeed one of the Home Nations events.
                        Agreed, the World Championships are special and it is the format that makes it so. I rarely have much time to watch much snooker, usually just bits and pieces of matches here and there. But for 2 weeks out of the year I am absolutely glued to the the tv. The long matches and 2+ weeks makes for so many stories during the championship. I can remember something about every world championship that made each one a unique experience. I can't say the same for any of the other events including the Masters and UK.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post

I agree so much with you.
                          ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                          "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

I also agree. If people prefer shorter format, they are already well catered for. I watch a lot of snooker, but tbh the worlds is the one I look forward to and enjoy the most, by a long shot. Even more so since the UK had all prestige removed by turning it into every other tournament.

Comment

If the long format was disliked by the fans then the viewing figures would drop would they not?
                              IIRC viewing figures for the Worlds vastly surpass any other event (bar Masters, maybe UK? (BBC events?:wink) and are continuingly growing year on year.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                                1st round best of 17
                                2nd round best of 17
                                Q final best of 19
                                Semis best of 21
                                Final best of 25

I would agree with that. I don't know why the Semi has to be best of 33
                                sigpic
                                Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

Working...
                                X