Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well played Higgins, but Wilson did himself proud

Comment

• In a WC final 20 years after the first..

Well done john, old school solid matchplay snooker..

:snooker:

Comment

• Good match. I thought Higgins finished strongly considering many seem to think he is fatigued.

Comment

• Great finish from John Higgins there... I predicted him to lose this match, but he got on top right from the start, then always did enough to stay a couple of frames in front. Should be a great final whomever he plays.

As for Wilson, credit to him for a very strong showing in this tournament. Compared to Trump, I think he will gain a lot more from this experience. Trump whined about his bad luck for the 17th time this season after he lost to Higgins, and you just know that kind of attitude won't make him a better player, whereas Wilson will probably put the work in and come back stronger next season. He was only a couple of frames short against one of the best players in the world, so he clearly doesn't need too much improvement to seriously challenge for this title. He might be one of the favourites when we get back to the Crucible in 2019. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
            Great finish from John Higgins there... I predicted him to lose this match, but he got on top right from the start, then always did enough to stay a couple of frames in front. Should be a great final whomever he plays.

As for Wilson, credit to him for a very strong showing in this tournament. Compared to Trump, I think he will gain a lot more from this experience. Trump whined about his bad luck for the 17th time this season after he lost to Higgins, and you just know that kind of attitude won't make him a better player, whereas Wilson will probably put the work in and come back stronger next season. He was only a couple of frames short against one of the best players in the world, so he clearly doesn't need too much improvement to seriously challenge for this title. He might be one of the favourites when we get back to the Crucible in 2019. :smile:
            Agreed. Wilson seems to be a player in the ascendency. It will be interesting to see if Kyren can find another level and press on to becoming the world's top player. I'm not sure he's quite there yet, but sometimes a changing of the guard can happen quite quickly (Davis to Hendry for example).

Comment

• I agree with Odri (no need to quote his post again) but I do think Kyren should be more inclined to go safer rather than going for the pot with guts & ending with no glory

Comment

• Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
                I agree with Odri (no need to quote his post again) but I do think Kyren should be more inclined to go safer rather than going for the pot with guts & ending with no glory
                I think this was just his strategy in the match against Higgins. He knew that he couldn't quite match the Scotsman in the safety department, therefore decided to play a bit more aggressive and get into breaks soon. Generally Wilson has the patience it needs I think.

He played a fine match there, but you could also see that at this point he isn't in the league of players like Higgins. But he seems to have the right work ethics and I'm quite sure we will see him in the semifinals of the World Championship again.

I was among the ones who doubted Higgins' fitness. But in fact he played his best snooker of the match at the end of this semifinal. He played brilliant safeties before, but now also his break building was there again. If he repeats this form in the final he will be the slight favorite no matter whom he plays.

Comment

• Well done John Higgins,and very well played Wilson,a future champion without doubt,a future Trump/Wilson rivalry? As for Higgins,he will win his 5th World Title and enjoy 5 more centuries from the Wizzard in that very final,sod it,make it 6!! Cracking other semi on the cards tonight,and for Higgin's fans and the neutrals alike,the longer the better!

Comment

• I would dearly love to see Mark join John in the final, and also go on to win it, but it all seems like a dream that can't come true.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Thinking back to the last time Higgins played Barry in a final, I hope it's a decent competition this time. Although MJW could still do it, looking forward to the final sesh tonight.

Comment

• Yep to all the above re Wilson: he has improved A LOT this season, and well done BS (I didn't see any of the last session, but may have a look on Eurosport tomorrow re his hesitation\pause\slowing at start of shot...)

Originally Posted by cidermaster View Post
                        a future Trump/Wilson rivalry?
                        NBot sure about that with Trump's weird ass technique making any mental issue far far worse, which in itself is sef-perpetuating?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                          I would dearly love to see Mark join John in the final, and also go on to win it, but it all seems like a dream that can't come true.
                          I do hope so.....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                            I would dearly love to see Mark join John in the final, and also go on to win it, but it all seems like a dream that can't come true.
                            I'd also love a Higgins - Williams classic.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cidermaster View Post
                              A future Trump/Wilson rivalry?
                              I doubt it. Ding is just two years older than Trump and he won't go away so fast. And of course Selby will be around a few more years.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                                I'd also love a Higgins - Williams classic.
                                Indeed...a classic.
                                "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

Working...
                                X