2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Well played to Carter, I never believed he had much chance of beating O'Sullivan here. He's never really been known for his mental strength in the past, but I have to say that pot to the middle when he was tight under the black cushion was superb, as was his clearance to steal the penultimate frame. He was really determined right from the start, perhaps even to the point of behaving a little unsportingly at times, but it definitely worked for him on this occasion.

I'm not sure whether Carter's behaviour affected O'Sullivan, that "incident" certainly indicated that it might have done, but I think the main problem was just the fact that O'Sullivan didn't really bring particularly good form to this year's Championship. He was missing most of the balls that were a little bit tricky in both of his matches, and on this occasion he came up against an opponent who punished him well enough.

That's both of my big favourites out before the quarter-finals... I don't usually like to see that, but it will certainly make for an interesting conclusion to this tournament. :smile:
    I didn't think Carter had a chance at the outset, was surprised how badly ROS played throughout tbh, but Carter fully deserved the win, with some great pressure clearances.

I also think had ROS got through this he would have gone on to win the title, now I'm convinced he's got a mental block and will never win another World Championship, he'll be around for a few more years and will pick up plenty more ranking events, retiring with probably over 40 titles to his name. But now I feel he will never win another World title.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
      I also think had ROS got through this he would have gone on to win the title, now I'm convinced he's got a mental block and will never win another World Championship
      Mildly hilarious! You've come to this conclusion from this one match? Unbelievable.

Comment

• Originally Posted by thevenue2 View Post
        Mildly hilarious! You've come to this conclusion from this one match? Unbelievable.
        Yes and no...as I said, I expected him to win this match easily...the fact he collapsed so badly re-enforces my view he has a mental block and will never win another world title.

Given his recent performances in the WC vs other tournaments is it really that much of an illogical viewpoint to take?

Comment

• Originally Posted by rman View Post
          Higgins is the man to beat.
          Yes I agree, John Higgins....but then it could be Williams or Ding.............Or Wilson........oh I don't know.......
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            Yes I agree, John Higgins....but then it could be Williams or Ding.............Or Wilson........oh I don't know.......
            I don't see any of them beating Higgins if he's playing at his best. He won't get a better chance to win number 5.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
              Yes and no...as I said, I expected him to win this match easily...the fact he collapsed so badly re-enforces my view he has a mental block and will never win another world title.

Given his recent performances in the WC vs other tournaments is it really that much of an illogical viewpoint to take?
              In a word, yes.

How many said Federer would never win the French open, or indeed any slam again only a couple of years ago? You never know. When you’re healthy, and amongst the best of all-time in any sport, anything can happen. I don’t think Ronnie actually gets enough credit for his mentality nowadays.

Comment

• Originally Posted by thevenue2 View Post
                In a word, yes.

How many said Federer would never win the French open, or indeed any slam again only a couple of years ago? You never know. When you’re healthy, and amongst the best of all-time in any sport, anything can happen. I don’t think Ronnie actually gets enough credit for his mentality nowadays.
                No problem, we can still be friends :-)

I'd happily be proved wrong, I'd very much like to see ROS match Hendry's record, I just can't see it happening now sadly, in every great sportsman's career there is a moment when they know they simply can't reach the required level anymore. For me, this was it for Ronnie, he can (and will) raise his game over the shorter distance and in other tournaments, but I feel the ship has sailed now in terms of the WC.

But as I say, I'd be happy to be wrong about that!

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                  As for this strange incident in the 19th (?) frame, I think both were not acting properly. The climate was icy from the beginning and this was a decisive moment in the match. Don't know who was more guilty for the jostle (if that's the right word).
                  Maybe Carter did say something first about Ronnie not excusing for what was clearly a fluky snooker. At least at the end of the match there was a handshake.

It's interesting. I expected the frosty atmosphere between those two, but I thought it would be Ali, who would suffer from this and break down. But he handled it exceptionally well, much better than Ronnie. Never have him seen so focused and calm. He played clever, great safeties and cracking long pots. Well deserved win.

So: Selby gone, O'Sullivan gone.

Who's the favorite now? Ding and maybe Higgins would be the logical choices I think (I'd say mainly Ding, but I don't want to jinx him), but as this World Championship points out, there is nearly everything possible.
                  Lol you would never see someone doing that to Ding for example , would you?Its always Ronnie pissing off someone...

Comment

• Not a chance in hell of Ronnie beating Hendry's record or even equalling it now. I think he had to win this year and then maybe win one of the next three.

He may get lucky and one day equal Davis but next year it will be five years since he has even been in a world final, by far the longest dry spell he's had. I think the mental block comment might be accurate, hasn't brought his best form to the crucible since 2014. Might be that the famous pink he missed in that match to take a lead going in to the final session will have been the last chance he had to win a 6th.

Comment

• Delighted to see Ali win and he did the right thing by not fist pumping while at the table when the match was over instead waiting until he was leaving the arena. If Higgins plays like the Higgins of olde this week he could win.
                      www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                        Ding and maybe Higgins would be the logical choices I think (I'd say mainly Ding, but I don't want to jinx him)
                        What on Earth is your logic there? John Higgins has 4 titles from 6 finals and Ding has zero from one. How is Ding the main choice?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                          The only other potential is Allen, but it will be one of your 4, imho.

Williams is an odd one, as I don't think he is that motivated but today may have piqued his interest - only 5 mins until we find out.

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                            The only other potential is Allen, but it will be one of your 4, imho.

Williams is an odd one, as I don't think he is that motivated but today may have piqued his interest - only 5 mins until we find out.
                            Mistakenly I had missed Allen.

If I had to bet it would be John Higgins but with Selby and ROS out I think quite a few people will be thinking, "This is the best chance I'm ever going to get!"

It may spur someone on to play above themselves.

Comment

• I'm not picking a favourite here, I don't think there is one really after what just happened. I hope John Higgins has a decent tip on his cue this year though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                                I wonder if Carter just spent his emotional store for the tournament with that match - good win, but Ronnie will be looking back at a real missed opportunity to progress.
                                I thought it was well out of order when he walked past the ROS changing room shouting ,"Taxi for Numpty," well out of order.

Comment

Working...
                                X