No announcement yet.

2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see why the personality or behaviour of a player away from the table should interfere with enjoyment of watching the best snooker possible being played. If a player has not done anything bad enough for them to be kept away from the table due to punishment for their behaviour then it is irrelevant to me.
    Last edited by Dark; 1 May 2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dark View Post
      I highly doubt you will get 4 very close matches, there has never been 4 quarter finals at the Crucible where all the losers have gained 10 or more frames. There has been 3 times where the 4 losing quarter finalists all failed to get to 10 frames.
      I also think there will probably at least one clearer match. But as prospects all of those four matches could go either way on paper and COULD be incredibly close. I went back and forth with my pick in the Allen - Wilson match.

Comment

• Originally Posted by peterpackage View Post
        Nice analysis Jim
        Thanks. You're welcome.

Comment

• I have mixed feelings about the line-up. It's great that we have eight very capable players for once, without anyone that is just here to make up the numbers. It should ensure we see some good and closely-fought matches at the business end of this tournament. It's also nice that there is a chance for a new winner this year, or perhaps a previous champion who hasn't won it in a while. On the other hand, the average age of the quarter-finalists is 35 years, with the majority of the players either in their late 30s or their early 40s. That's a little concerning for me...

I won't go into too much detail on this occasion, you can find my predictions in the prediction thread. :smile:

I'll just say that Wilson-Allen is the match I'm looking forward to the most, as I think it's the most evenly matched of the four, and they've given us a couple of nice matches in the past. Perfect pairing for a best-of-25 match really, almost guaranteed to be interesting all the way, with potential for a few momentum swings along the way. :smile:

Not sure which one I would pick next... Ding-Hawkins perhaps. I think Ding is clearly the better player, and he's also played the better snooker in this tournament so far, but as it's been mentioned Hawkins has beaten him on the big stage before. Hawkins has that interesting habit of getting involved in some really close matches, regardless of how good his opponent is. Sometimes he just comes out of nowhere and plays almost perfect snooker, so I don't think Ding is a certainty here. I do think he is the favourite though.

Higgins-Trump is supposed to be the most exciting pairing here, when you take the status of the two players into account. I have a feeling most people think Higgins will be too strong here though, and I have my doubts about Trump as well... Unlike most people, I actually don't think he has any particular mental weakness that would prevent him from winning this title if he plays well, I just don't think he is in particularly good form at this point in time. His first two matches were one big struggle, and he only played well yesterday after he avoided going 10-8 behind, which I thought was a little lucky. He'll have to raise his game to what it was in the Shanghai Masters to have a chance here, in my opinion.

Williams-Carter is perhaps the least interesting for me, but still quite a good prospect. If both players repeat their previous performances in this tournament, I actually think Carter is a comfortable favourite. But at the same time, I think the match against O'Sullivan almost felt like a final for him, and I doubt he has much left at this point. The opposite could be true for Williams, I think the first two matches were just a warm-up for him, and he could start playing his best stuff now.

We'll see... :smile:

Comment

• Allen, Higgins, Ding and Carter are my picks for the semis.

Comment

• They are showing a match between the 9th and 16th seed over the match between the 3rd and 6th seed?

Disgraceful
              Last edited by Dark; 1 May 2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

They are showing a match between the 9th and 16th seed over the match between the 3rd and 6th seed?

Disgraceful
                I thought that. I would have said Ding-Hawkins would be the headline match.
                Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

• Wilson misses the black and loses the frame HAHAHAHA

Comment

Wilson misses the black and loses the frame HAHAHAHA
                    Not kyren's No.1 fan then.

-
                    The fast and the furious,
                    The slow and labourious,
                    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                      Not kyren's No.1 fan then.

-
                      I am not anyone's number 1 fan.

Comment

• Ding seemed a bit too impatient in the first four frames to me. Took some shots he shouldn't have gone for, made some potting errors. Hawkins was more composed and deserved the 3-1-lead.
                        But good break by Ding after the interval.

Comment

I am not anyone's number 1 fan.
                          not even yourself, when you look at reflection in the mirror every morning?

:wink:
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            not even yourself, when you look at reflection in the mirror every morning?

:wink:
                            Not even myself, I am a piece of ****

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                              I have mixed feelings about the line-up. It's great that we have eight very capable players for once, without anyone that is just here to make up the numbers. It should ensure we see some good and closely-fought matches at the business end of this tournament. It's also nice that there is a chance for a new winner this year, or perhaps a previous champion who hasn't won it in a while. On the other hand, the average age of the quarter-finalists is 35 years, with the majority of the players either in their late 30s or their early 40s. That's a little concerning for me...

Williams-Carter is perhaps the least interesting for me, but still quite a good prospect. If both players repeat their previous performances in this tournament, I actually think Carter is a comfortable favourite. But at the same time, I think the match against O'Sullivan almost felt like a final for him, and I doubt he has much left at this point. The opposite could be true for Williams, I think the first two matches were just a warm-up for him, and he could start playing his best stuff now.
                              It's no news that the average age for the top snooker players has gone up within the last years and there are some excellent players that are in their late 30s and early 40s now.
                              Four of the eight players are the same as in last year's quarterfinals: with Trump, Allen, Carter and Williams replacing Selby, Maguire, Fu and O'Sullivan.
                              And compared to 2016 even five players are the same (obviously they are two years older now): with Trump, Allen and Carter replacing Selby, Fu and McManus.
                              At least McGill and Lisowski made the second round this year.

I feel the same about Carter. He also has played his final and this often leads to losing the focus.

Comment

Not even myself, I am a piece of ****
                                My My, you're full of the joys of spring this afternoon aren't you.

-
                                The fast and the furious,
                                The slow and labourious,
                                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Working...
                                X