2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Just look at that red higgins wobbled in, appeared to hit the outer edge of the jaw and still went in, wtf.
    Hendry was commenting yesterday and said the tables were playing like 9 ball tables. He said the pockets have been cut on a different template.

Comment

• He did it once again. It never ceases to amaze me how good John Higgins and Mark Selby play most of the time, when big matches come to their decisive stage. What a great and tense session this was. Kudos to Trump to get to the decider, cause after Higgins get 12-11 in front I thought he would take it the next frame. But in the last frame Higgins was a rock again.

Definitely the match of this championship so far.

Comment

• Judd's lipstick is a tad OTT.

Yep to cut of corner pockets...

Comment

• So we've got:

Wilson - Higgins
          Hawkins - Williams

As much as I would have loved to still see Selby or Ding at this stage I can't bemoan this. Those are four great players and two highly promising semifinals, which are totally open.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
            So we've got:

Wilson - Higgins
            Hawkins - Williams

As much as I would have loved to still see Selby or Ding at this stage I can't bemoan this. Those are four great players and two highly promising semifinals, which are totally open.
            I hope Wilson wins this WC

Comment

• I'd be happy to see any of these players win, but I'd like to see a Higgins-Williams final. What an achievement it would be for a 40 something to win it.

Comment

Trumps a wee tadger, how he can be critical of anything considering his hit and hope 50mph shots that end up with him getting a fluked pot, a safety or a snooker is beyond me.
                Walden said that he could be talking all evening if he had to have an opinion on every risky shot Trump takes on.
                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Some stats info:
                  It's the 9th WC semifinal for John Higgins. Only Hendry (12), Davis, O'Sullivan (11) and White (10) have more at the Crucible.

It's the 6th semifinal for Mark Williams, his first since 2011.

It's the 5th semifinal for Barry Hawkins - and also his fifth in the last six years.

And as we all know it's the first semifinal for Kyren Wilson, who at 26 years of age could become the youngest world champion since Shaun Murphy in 2005.

Comment

• Originally Posted by The Rook View Post
                    I'd be happy to see any of these players win, but I'd like to see a Higgins-Williams final. What an achievement it would be for a 40 something to win it.
                    I have it the other way around. I think they´ve had their share of World titles, but a Higgins-Williams final could easily end up beeing one of the best finals ever as they usually have some good matches against each other.
                    ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                    "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Originally Posted by The Rook View Post
                      I'd be happy to see any of these players win, but I'd like to see a Higgins-Williams final. What an achievement it would be for a 40 something to win it.
                      That would say more about the low standard of the game to me.Just like Federer and Nadal even though they are the best players, they still win everything these days because all the younger players are not so good...

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                        Some stats info:
                        It's the 9th WC semifinal for John Higgins. Only Hendry (12), Davis, O'Sullivan (11) and White (10) have more at the Crucible.

It's the 6th semifinal for Mark Williams, his first since 2011.

It's the 5th semifinal for Barry Hawkins - and also his fifth in the last six years.

And as we all know it's the first semifinal for Kyren Wilson, who at 26 years of age could become the youngest world champion since Shaun Murphy in 2005.
                        If Higgins wins he will have beaten Joe Davis's record of 19 years between first and last titles, and if Williams wins he'll hold the record for longest gap (15 years) between titles.

Comment

• Has anyone had the chance to view the green again that Higgins played in the decider? Both Davis and Taylor sort of suggested there was a hint of a push shot. I'm unsure either way right now but it was a close call

Comment

• Originally Posted by kibo View Post
                            That would say more about the low standard of the game to me.Just like Federer and Nadal even though they are the best players, they still win everything these days because all the younger players are not so good...
                            That's another debate, but O'Sullivan, Higgins and Williams are easily the best 40 somethings of all time. Whilst Higgins and Williams might not be playing at their absolute career best, they are certainly nowhere near their worst. For example, Higgins looks better now (on the table) than he did in his late 20s or late 30s. You can't compare snooker to tennis. In athletic sports the older player always has a clear physical disadvantage. There are no physical reasons that would prevent a healthy old player from playing snooker well, and the fact that Higgins still has the mental stamina to kill off a long match in a decider proves that.

In my opinion, one of the reasons that the top players tend to become worse in their 30s and 40s is because they lose their hunger for the game and just don't practice enough. I suspect that this is to a large extent what happened to Hendry and Davis. However, these days the snooker calendar is so full it is effectively forcing everyone into being match sharp, and so the class of 92 are still near the top of their game when one would have expected them to decline dramatically.
                            Last edited by The Rook; 2 May 2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by philmac74 View Post
                              Has anyone had the chance to view the green again that Higgins played in the decider? Both Davis and Taylor sort of suggested there was a hint of a push shot. I'm unsure either way right now but it was a close call
                              Just had a look on Youtube and it looks perfectly OK to me. The thing is, Judd was sat right next to it with his eyes peeled and would have noticed. He never even glanced at the referee, just looked up at the monitor to see where the white ball was finishing. I don't think the post-match handshake would have been quite so amicable if he had doubted it. I think it was just Steve Davis thinking aloud, as is his wont. Taylor didn't say that he thought it was a push, just that he knew what Davis was thinking, but he didn't agree with him, quite the opposite.

Comment

That black wouldn't have went in on my club table ffs but on a supposed "pro" table it did...
                                Weve been over this time and time again. Your crappy club table has old worn out cloth, whilst pros play on brand new cloth with table heaters. Has nothing to do with the size of the pockets. If youve ever played on a star or owned a table of your own you would understand this very clearly. The argument isnt wether the pockets are bigger or not, its wether they play more generously which they do to some extent. That being said you would still struggle on a star with brand new cloth over a club table simply because the pockets are much tighter and you (im guessing) dont play to a pro standard. On pro cut tables, the slightest variance off centre pocket looks like a wider miss simply because of the camera angle relative to the small pocket opening in coincidence with cloth sheen.

Comment

Working...
                                X