2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    I realize that Ronnie is new at this, but right now Hendry is miles and miles better. Ronnie sounds like he's basically illiterate, which is strange because he doesn't come across that way in interviews. The first thing he needs to realize is when to use "those" or "these" and not "them" Saying "them pockets" makes you sound like you dropped out of school when you were twelve. By comparison, Hendry just oozes of professionalism and class.
    When he gets interviewed have a listen to how many times he says "you know".

Comment

I know, and I want to listen to him to get his insights into the game. But, at this point, I just find all the rest of it very distracting. He seems much more comfortable in the studio with Jimmy than actually commenting on the matches. Steve Davis, for other reasons, is also better as a studio pundit.
      That just reminded me of Steve's commentry box coverage last night which became slightly odd because he couldn't seem to say a sentence of four or more words so would be stringing together short phrases. Dennis seemed to be helping him out a bit and taking over when Steve was saying something obvious but the standard of Snooker was so good it wasn't that noticable. I agree that Steve is definitely much better in the studio.
      www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

• Impressive from Hawkins.... 6-2?

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
          Impressive from Hawkins.... 6-2?
          No ..... 😆

Comment

• Top jinxing

Comment

• Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
              That just reminded me of Steve's commentry box coverage last night which became slightly odd because he couldn't seem to say a sentence of four or more words so would be stringing together short phrases. Dennis seemed to be helping him out a bit and taking over when Steve was saying something obvious but the standard of Snooker was so good it wasn't that noticable. I agree that Steve is definitely much better in the studio.
              It reminds me a bit of tennis. John McEnroe was a great player and is by far my favorite analyst. Mats Wilander, on Eurosport, comes across as pompous ass and I find him to be annoying. Boris Becker does some work with the BBC during Wimbledon and he is ok, but nowhere close to as good as McEnroe.

As far as women, I can barely stand listening to Tracy Austin or Chris Evert. Both were great players, but their commentary is cliche filled and boring. Mary Carillo, who was barely a tour player is (or at least was) infinitely better.

When it comes to snooker, it's really hit and miss. Hendry is very good. Ebdon is getting there. McManus (accent aside) is quite good. Joe Johnson and Mike Hallett are terrible. Virgo and Taylor are way past their expiration dates, but I prefer them to Ken (tree) Doherty.

Of course, many people will disagree with some of these assessments. When it comes down to it, it's a matter of personal taste.

Comment

• Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                SD has always been like that in the CB. He's a great pundit, but oddly one of the worst commentators in my view.

I once asked, in my typical sarcastic way, why it..... takes Steve Davis, such..... a long time to....... put a sentence....... together.

I think the answer is that rather than just concentrate on the match, he's far too busy trying to sound clever, and those pauses are him searching through a thesaurus to find an alternative word, where the simple and most obvious is best.

His commentary always reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/9s0LqZMsfTQ?t=4

For me, if they only used three commentators I'd be happy (four if I can add an unused one):

Taylor, Virgo (for the traditional, nostalgic element), McManus and Foulds.
                Last edited by Billy; 3 May 2018, 09:34 PM.
                "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Tony Bliar used to...........have big pauses in his.........speeches and it was............well boring and tedious.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
                    Tony Bliar used to...........have big pauses in his.........speeches and it was............well boring and tedious.
                    Hmmm.......

Comment

• Yet Ronnie O'Sullivan has "written" 2 novels, and people bought them. Not including the autobiographies that should really just be called biographies.

Comment

Hmmm.......
                        My word, Stony! You've certainly got your 'grammar police' hat on tonight.
                        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                          My word, Stony! You've certainly got your 'grammar police' hat on tonight.
                          Not grammar in that case. Perhaps a Freudian slip. 'liar"

Comment

• As a Canadian, I find all of the various British accents endlessly fascinating. The English guys sound very similar, but I can definitely notice the difference when it's a Scot, Irishman, or Welshman.

Can somebody tell me why Hendry's Scottish accent is less pronounced than that of Higgins or McManus. And why does Doherty say "tree" for the number three. Other Irish people don't seem to do that.

Comment

As a Canadian, I find all of the various British accents endlessly fascinating. The English guys sound very similar, but I can definitely notice the difference when it's a Scot, Irishman, or Welshman.

Can somebody tell me why Hendry's Scottish accent is less pronounced than that of Higgins or McManus. And why does Doherty say "tree" for the number three. Other Irish people don't seem to do that.
                              Higgins and McManus are from Glasgow, or close to Glasgow. I think Hendry's from Perth or somewhere round there. Glasgow is west and Perth is East.

Accents can vary from person to person though. Mine is soft enough that I can get away with teaching people English, while there was a programme called Trawlermen about some fishermen from 30 miles away from me that was broadcast with subtitles, in Scotland.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                                SD has always been like that in the CB. He's a great pundit, but oddly one of the worst commentators in my view.

I once asked, in my typical sarcastic way, why it..... takes Steve Davis, such..... a long time to....... put a sentence....... together.

I think the answer is that rather than just concentrate on the match, he's far too busy trying to sound clever, and those pauses are him searching through a thesaurus to find an alternative word, where the simple and most obvious is best.

His commentary always reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/9s0LqZMsfTQ?t=4

For me, if they only used three commentators I'd be happy (four if I can add an unused one):

Taylor, Virgo (for the traditional, nostalgic element), McManus and Foulds.
                                I agree with Taylor and Virgo for any match but Willie should also be there. The indepth nature of their commentry annoys some but is what I like the most.

Steve also seemed to be going over the top a lot at moments that didn't warrant it. It's made all the more strange because he's not like that during daytime matches and it seems to be after dark when he takes on a different persona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjp1Zrvn8VQ
                                www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                                X