2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    Higgins and McManus are from Glasgow, or close to Glasgow. I think Hendry's from Perth or somewhere round there. Glasgow is west and Perth is East.

Accents can vary from person to person though. Mine is soft enough that I can get away with teaching people English, while there was a programme called Trawlermen about some fishermen from 30 miles away from me that was broadcast with subtitles, in Scotland.
    That's interesting. One of my all time favourite films is "Gregory's Girl"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082477/

I remember watching it and having to really concentrate to understand anything that was being said.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
      That's interesting. One of my all time favourite films is "Gregory's Girl"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082477/

I remember watching it and having to really concentrate to understand anything that was being said.
      Watch a film called Trainspotting from 1996.

Comment

As a Canadian, I find all of the various British accents endlessly fascinating. The English guys sound very similar, but I can definitely notice the difference when it's a Scot, Irishman, or Welshman.

Can somebody tell me why Hendry's Scottish accent is less pronounced than that of Higgins or McManus. And why does Doherty say "tree" for the number three. Other Irish people don't seem to do that.
        Doherty has a very strong Dublin accent and that comes with its own quirks, including the T replacing TH and saying de instead of the.

Comment

Not grammar in that case. Perhaps a Freudian slip. 'liar"
          Ah, sorry. I'm not the most quick witted.
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
            Or try reading Irvine Welsh's novel on which it was based. Impossible for anyone who lives outside Glasgow. Can't believe it sold as well as it did. I didn't think Glasgow was that big.
            "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
              I've seen it. Very good film, but I don't think I quite understood everything they were saying.

Comment

• A few years ago I watched this TV series about criminal gangs in Dublin. Excellent show, but it was a real struggle to keep up with dialogue. I had to watch a few scenes more than once. Highly recommended show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love/Hate_(TV_series)

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                  Or try reading Irvine Welsh's novel on which it was based. Impossible for anyone who lives outside Glasgow. Can't believe it sold as well as it did. I didn't think Glasgow was that big.
                  The book is based in Edinburgh, where Irvine Welsh is from.

Comment

• If the World Championship ever needs a new home Stoney Bridge is the obvious choice. Check out the bus stop and bus shelter.

www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

• You can't give it to Stonybridge - they had the olympics already!

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        The book is based in Edinburgh, where Irvine Welsh is from.
                        But it's written in Glaswegian.

To be fair I never got past the first couple of pages. By the third my brain was screaming 'Life's too short.'
                        Last edited by Billy; 3 May 2018, 11:50 PM.

Comment

But it's written in Glaswegian.

To be fair I never got past the first couple of pages. By the third my brain was screaming 'Life's too short.'
                          Fair enough

Comment

As a Canadian, I find all of the various British accents endlessly fascinating. The English guys sound very similar, but I can definitely notice the difference when it's a Scot, Irishman, or Welshman.

Can somebody tell me why Hendry's Scottish accent is less pronounced than that of Higgins or McManus. And why does Doherty say "tree" for the number three. Other Irish people don't seem to do that.
                            I'm English but a geordie so southerners have previously mistaken me for being Scottish, I don't sound anything like Scottish tho lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                              I'm English but a geordie so southerners have previously mistaken me for being Scottish, I don't sound anything like Scottish tho lol
                              Why eye man!
                              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yeah good call re the book.

Comment

Working...
                                X