Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimMalone
    replied
    Right now I can only be happy. It's the third year in a row the World Championship final includes two of my four favorite players and again I'll be happy with either winning. If Higgins wins he would become the third most successful player in the Crucible era, which would be great, but I'd maybe slightly prefer Williams winning his third one, because I think this would be fitting. If somebody told me one year ago, that the Welshman would make another World final I honestly wouldn't have believed it. His focus seemed gone and I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have retired within the next few years.

It's somehow amazing, when you think that the class of 1992 are all of the same age and have prior to this season 11 World titles and 15 finals betweeen them that this will be only the second time after 2001 that two of them match each other in a final.

20 years ago, after the 1998 World Championship the rankings were those:
    1. John Higgins
    2. Stephen Hendry
    3. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    4. Ken Doherty
    5. Mark Williams

20 years later it will look either:
    1. Mark Selby
    2. John Higgins
    3. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    4. Judd Trump
    5. Mark Williams

or

1. Mark Selby
    2. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    3. Mark Williams
    4. John Higgins
    5. Judd Trump

Either way the whole trio is still in the Top 5. This really shows their permanent class.

So who will add to his impressive resume today?
    I have been quite horrible with my previews and picks this year. At least I predicted the winners of the two semifinals correctly and maybe have found some of my form again ;-)

While Williams was the more successful player this year I think that at this point in time Higgins is the better player. When he is at his best only Selby and O'Sullivan can match him. His tactical game and his shot-selection is incredible and despite Williams made more centuries this tournament I think Higgins is slightly better among the balls as well.
    The Welshman is the better potter and even for Higgins it will be an impossible task to contain him. But quite often during his semifinal against Hawkins Williams missed crucial balls and against Higgins, who is a better version of the Hawk, I think this will cost him heavily. Higgins is more focused but Williams could be lose enough to have less pressure. I really think the Scotsman wants this title more, especially after losing last year's final, but is this an advantage?

One of the points where I consider Williams superior is fitness though. But so far Higgins hasn't shown signs of fatigue and I think the long lasting and nervewracking semifinal was very exhausting for Williams.

Higgins to win 18-15.

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    Really enjoyable and interesting semis. I was at times both impressed with and horrified by Mark's shot selection, boy did he push the boat out! He's always been an attacking player, but it looks like he's decided to up the ante in that regard, with spectacular results. On the other hand, John seems a bit more cautious, refusing some of the more risky shots in favour of keeping things tighter, playing to his strategic strengths, not so surprising I suppose.

So, assuming that they both continue along similar lines, we should have one belter of a final to enjoy. Could be a real slug-fest by the time we get to the final session (if there is one of course ).

Bring it on!

-

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    So, another win for the old-timers then...

It's funny, when they both dropped out of the top4 at the age of 30 back in 2005, it looked like they were on their way down and would have the same kind of decline Davis and Hendry had in their 30s. I certainly wouldn't have expected them to meet in a World final 13 years later anyway, but in the context of this season it is not really a surprise. It will be the second major title and the fourth title altogether for whoever wins tomorrow, and they both have an excellent chance to spend some more time in the top4 with the points they will earn here.

I've called most things wrong in this tournament so far, so I don't really have any confidence in my own prediction, but I do think Higgins is the favourite. He was the one who raised his game yesterday when he needed to get over the line, winning a couple of frames in one visit, whereas Williams and Hawkins played some nervy snooker that mainly became about who would make fewer mistakes. The last five frames Williams won were all pretty much decided on the colours, and he never made a break over 50 in any of them. Higgins also has the advantage of having finished his match earlier, whereas Williams had to play in the late hours yesterday. The recent past has shown that that can make a difference, especially on the first day of the final.

It should be good entertainment whatever happens. I think neither player is playing at their very best in this tournament, but they have all the experience in the world at dealing with major finals, and of course they have the class to raise their game and play some good snooker over four sessions. There is one notable difference between them though... I think Williams has a habit of throwing too many frames away, always giving the feeling that he could have taken a better result from each session if he'd only cut out a few of his mistakes, whereas Higgins is the opposite case. I always had the feeling Trump and Wilson could have done more against him, but somehow he managed to take the maximum out of each session, just raising his game a little when he needed to. I think that will make the difference in Higgins' favour in the end, even if it is only a couple of frames. Higgins to win 18-14. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• CueAntW147
    replied
    Loved this shot by Williams in Round 1 and the look on Jimmy's face after

https://youtu.be/79W_kHAPqhM

Leave a comment:

• kligu
    replied
    Anybody who says the championship is no longer worth wathcing with ROS going out in the second should watch both semis and the Trump - Higgins quarter final. I would have loved to see Ronnie in the final myself. But I guess this final will be much more enjoyable than a Selby - Ronnie final (or Carter - Ronnie or Murphy - Ronnie ...).

Leave a comment:

• Hal
    replied
    I feel for Barry Hawkins, he played superbly, showed true gentlemanship (there was no doubt before, of course) and is generally very likeable player). Well played!

And Mark Williams in the final, I cannot be more happy. My all time favourite player has stepped up and now plays in the world final, there is not much more to ask for. He can make it even better, obviously, and I think he will make it. I can see a close match 18 - 14 to Williams.

Leave a comment:

• Dark
    replied
    Originally Posted by johnhiggins4eva View Post
    Do you think Higgins can get to seven worlds before he retires? Even if he paces himself for the Crucible each season?
    Seems unlikely. If Selby does not return to his best that would improve chances as I don't think he will be beat Selby at his best in a final or semi-final, maybe in earlier rounds. However that means he plays one extra tough match.

Leave a comment:

• johnhiggins4eva
    replied
    Do you think Higgins can get to seven worlds before he retires? Even if he paces himself for the Crucible each season?

Leave a comment:

• cesard
    replied
    Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post

The two played each other three times at the Crucible, always in the semifinal. Williams won in 1999 (17-10) and 2000 (17-15), while Higgins won their last duel in 2011 (17-14).
    This doesn´t mean so much. These 3 matches were short matches, just best-of-33; tomorrow match will be best-of-35, much longer. These 3 matches were almost close to a Pot Black :P

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    And to finish, an 'in his prime' Glen Campbell concert on BBC Four to help me unwind.
    For some reason I decided to watch the film on BBC2 after the snooker, starting to wish I hadn't but I've started now. Definitely not one for winding down.

Leave a comment:

• kibo
    replied
    That friendly ''clap on the back'' from Williams, during the game, was such a high sentience act

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    He's not Gordon Loghtfoot though
    No, but no one sings By the Time I Get to Phoenix like Glen.

Leave a comment:

• blahblah01
    replied
    And to finish, an 'in his prime' Glen Campbell concert on BBC Four to help me unwind.
    He's not Gordon Loghtfoot though

Leave a comment:

• Dark
    replied
    Williams is going to have a tough task to be ready for the first session, Higgins might get away to a significant lead. But will Higgins go the distance? I would not be surprised if the second day of the final is just a step too far for both of them.

Leave a comment:

• blahblah01
    replied
    Thanks on it now from start...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X